mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Dog friendly trails near York

I'll be heading out to York this weekend and I was just wondering which trails were dog friendly. I was thinking of going to Lake Redman, but am open to going anywhere friendly to dogs. I am hoping to put in about 10 miles with as little road crossings as possible.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    "I know you think you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Unfortunately, ALL parks in PA require leashes on dogs. Dogs are allowed, but I wouldn't call that "friendly". I run into this all the time. I live right next to Rocky Ridge, and we take the dogs there all the time, and we unleash them on back trails. If you get up on the top trails, there are more people, and some people might complain if your dogs are unleashed. We run the risk of getting fined, but we do it anyway and the dogs love it. They're good dogs, and they won't bother anyone. If you get to a state forrest, though, dogs are not required to be leashed (and you can have beer too!). Michaux state forrest is about 40 min west of York.

One time, we were hiking at Rocky Ridge on a rocky descent with loose uneven ground, and this 70-something woman and her husband *****ed us out because the dogs were unleashed. The dogs never went near them. She said she just had shoulder surgery, and what if the dogs knocked her over. I said, "Well, if a fall is a serious concern, do you really think you should be walking on a rocky trail with loose footing at all?" and we passed them by. When we came to the parking lot, they were talking to a ranger (I presume they called him from the car) and pointed to us. The dogs were leashed by then, and the ranger said "What do you want me to do now?". She probably pissed him off too.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I hope you gave her a classic Nelson Munz "HA-HA!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you are riding with the dogs Redman may be a better choice. There tend to be less hikers on the trails especially on the Lake Williams side. That said I see dogs at Rocky Ridge a lot more often than at the lakes. Overall there shouldn't be to much grief at either. You could try Spring Valley park too, although you have a higher chance of running into horseback riders there.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What's the hunting situation? I was just at Lake Williams and there were signs plastered all over saying "Danger, hunting area."

Anywhere I can ride without getting shot?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You won't get shot. You're much more likely to get killed in your car on the way to the park, or breaking your head open on a rock while biking. Mountain biking is about a million times more dangerous than hunting.
    I hunt too (with archery equipment), although I haven't since I met my fiance, (too busy biking). I've been in tree stands and watched deer freeze as bikes went by and then go about their business when the bikes were gone. I didn't shoot any bikers.
    Most parks in York county don't allow firearms, just bows.

Rat Fink
    No hunting on Sundays in PA but I think it's only archery except for one or two days where the parks are closed except for muzzle loader hunting. Don't leave your dog poop on the trails. If you do and a ranger catches you, it's $100+. If you do and my sister in law catches you, you're going to wear it. She's starting to get emotional about horse and dog poop on the trails. She's sweet and somewhat timid otherwise but I wouldn't test her on this.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')