Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's funny because this is my first winter on a mountain bike and it's definitely helped pass the time faster. Ordinarily, I'd be bummed out waiting for (motorcycle) riding season to get going some time in March, now I'm on two wheels pretty much every weekend! It's not even cold after the first climb, it's like a found a hack to make winter suck a little bit less.

mtbr member
    hummmm, looks like this thread could use a poll..
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

fish
    Oct 2012
    I agree, winter riding can be a challlange to stay warm while you are out on the trails. Especially trying to keep your fingers warm for braking and shifting. But there is nothing better than feeling the cold air. Its also a great challange to ride the snow covered trails. Going south to ride is always an option. Its usually warmer. Dont hibernate! Get out and ride while you still have the ability and freedom to do so. Live Love Ride!!!!!
    Don't Limit your Challenges...Challenge your Limits!!!!!

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by RRHINES View Post
    I agree with tech! It has been a fun winter to ride in, riding in the snow works on a whole different skill set. Yes it's cold but a few minutes of doing grunt work in the snow warms the body right up! I have a riding buddy that is just as crazy and we have been going every weekend just about every Sat and Sun. I have also been doing the 2 day/wk training class with Bear also. Nothing beats being outside off the trainer though...
    Have to admit, I'm the crazy friend, yes I have a problem I need to be outside riding my bike no matter what the weather.
    Having a Fat Bike really does make you want to get out there and ride in the snow, and yes us fellow fat bikers actually get excited when it snows.
    I called Ron last week on the way to the Moon and he said theres still a lot of snow up here, my reaction ALL RIGHT!
    Rode the El Mariachi last Sunday due to mechanicals on the Fat Bike, haven't rode it in months man that front tire looked so small out there took a while to get used to it, not near as confidence inspiring in the corners as the fat bike, but very nimble and I have to admit having suspension up front felt nice for a change, but still wished I was riding fat.
    For one to truly understand you have to spend some time on one of these fat bikes they are just so much fun to ride
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bought a new Mukluk this year and love it! Fatbikes are fun on ALL conditions not just snow imo. Very fast, incredible climbers, and excellent for just plowin through the woods. No need for trails! But, even with my FS skinny tire bike this and all winters imo are some of the best times to be in the woods! I'd rather ride in these conditions then hot summer days with bugs, ticks, snakes, cob webs, sweat, and low trail visibilty. Get out and enjoy the scenery fairweather friends!!

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Where are all of you with fatbikes living? I almost never see other fatties on the trails, I know of just one other rider here in Philly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So windy the whole week, just seems non stop

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's funny. While others are recommending to drive south to Mt. Penn in Reading, I did the opposite. Last weekend fellow BAMBA member Tduro and myself drove to Crystal Lake to get our XC ski fix on. Great snow conditions up there right now.
    BTW, if anyone is interested in riding Mt. Penn just post up on the BAMBA facebook page and someone will show you around.

http://www.facebook.com/BambaBerksAr...ingAssociation
    Video Production for Energy & The Environment
    www.levelaproductions.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Winter riding is fun, not AS fun as summer riding, but as long as you get out early when the ground is frozen so you're not rutting up the trails, it's a good time.

To be fair, I do have a fatbike (I live in Allentown, to answer the earlier question), although this winter I've been without one until about 2 weeks ago. I had one and sold it last year and found I just couldn't not have one!

I went for a 22 mile romp yesterday at Blue Marsh... the mud was from the lake shore and bed, mostly. Most of the singletrack was solid/icey. Was kinda windy but I was dressed properly so it was fine.

I should note, that the Bar Mitts weren't necessary- I just chose to run my thin summer gloves, I like the dexterity versus my thick winter gloves and no Bar Mitts.
    Last edited by XJaredX; 02-22-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Was out yesterday myself for a little over an hour. Was very windy, but the sun was out. Dressed up warm enough and like XJared said, normal gloves were fine. Once you get going, you warm up real well.

Rode about 30 minutes through town, and about 40 through some four wheeler trails near my house.

Does this seem like the longest winter ever?-photo-1-.jpg

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruitr1 View Post
    Bought a new Mukluk this year and love it! Fatbikes are fun on ALL conditions not just snow !!
    I have been riding mine year round for 3 years now, thats why I call it a Fat bike and not a snow bike, hands down the funnest bike I have ever owned.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The wife and I each have one. Lots o fun!! some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does this seem like the longest winter ever?-imgp0394.jpg  

Does this seem like the longest winter ever?-imgp2526.jpg  

fish
    Oct 2012
    Cold or hot....fresh air is great...its FREE.....its good for the body...so get out and enjoy i!!!!!Live Love Ride!!!!!
    Don't Limit your Challenges...Challenge your Limits!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Beyond sick and frustrated. It hasn't ended. I think i got spoiled last year with the mild temps and no snow. Hopefully itll be over soon. Cabin fever doesn't begin to explain......

mtbr member
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think the issue with this winter is it keeps teasing us. one or 2 days in the 60s then back into the 20/30s. I'm ready for it to be over
    Keep access to public lands open.
    http://30daysofbikingerie.blogspot.com/

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    'grave: 60's? Not for me. I'm not sure we've hit the 50's in a while.

FWIW, I got out on the bike (SS 29er HT) for a couple hours yesterday and I can't really say that other than having actually been on a bike that I was much better off afterwards. I mostly felt teased ... not enough snow to really do anything with but plenty of snow and ice to make a ride much less enjoyable.

meh.

I'm such a spoiled pansy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    A tad sloppy at some spots Sunday but still put in 25 miles.lots of smiles mud on my teeth and riding in the soft and sketchy makes you fit,maintains and even improves your skills!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I may be making a road trip outta my 'hood next weekend, if I can figure someplace cool to go and get some miles of rolling time.

Pretty much bet it'd have to be southerly from me, but who knows what the weather will hold.

Maybe a SS at Swatara. Hmm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Maybe a SS at Swatara. Hmm.
    I'd be interested in that if you go down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad View Post
    Pictures look good

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    We had one day in January where it hit 60 in Erie
    Keep access to public lands open.
    http://30daysofbikingerie.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Thought today would have been more clear. I did 22 miles over in Aristes. The west side of Rt 42 was clear and nice but the loop on the east side was half ice and snow in most areas. Still worth the ride, can't wait till the trail is dry though.

--Adam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2