mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?

My LBS said they sold two in the past few years, so I figure someone in NEPA has got to have one and frequent this forum.

I think I may have contracted the fatbike bug and I was curious about opinions of people who live in this area and own them, be it Surly or another make. Most of the owners in the fatbike section of MTBR live either where it snows a lot or there's sand, but a few of them live in a more moderate climate, I just can't figure out if those few people are just insane or not.

The trouble is, I can't demo one, as no LBS's seem to stock them, only special order, so I can't figure out if I'd like one til I actually paid for it

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    My LBS said they sold two in the past few years, so I figure someone in NEPA has got to have one and frequent this forum.

I think I may have contracted the fatbike bug and I was curious about opinions of people who live in this area and own them, be it Surly or another make. Most of the owners in the fatbike section of MTBR live either where it snows a lot or there's sand, but a few of them live in a more moderate climate, I just can't figure out if those few people are just insane or not.

The trouble is, I can't demo one, as no LBS's seem to stock them, only special order, so I can't figure out if I'd like one til I actually paid for it
    Yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the one your getting me for Xmas

No really...............one guy from Pottsvillle has one he rode it at mOOn once this year but it was summer... duh

Did you ever see the pic here on MTBR of the guy diry jumping a Pug?

By the way It was fun to ride!

Gravity's Gone
    I have a friend who just got one back in September or so and he loves it. The few brief times I've tried it it certainly seemed like a blast.

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-100_0027.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-100_0028.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-hpim8292.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-hpim8293.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-hpim8311.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-hpim8348.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-hpim8365.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-hpim8425.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-hpim8431.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sweet! So you've sampled it on local trails, then?

I am really not huge on full suspension bikes, I prefer to keep it simple, in terms of maintenance and such, so I gravitate towards hardtails. And I was pondering getting into a 29er over the next year, and sampling some sort of steel frame, as well. Have had aluminum frames for like 15 years now, need something less rigid this time around.

On top of that, I'm not big on speed, I'm more of the "meandering through the woods checking out the scenery" type of rider.

Ergo, I am attracted to these bikes, but I heard it was kinda like driving a truck versus a car, what were your impressions? Fun enough to be a year-round bike? I can always put normal 29er wheels on it, I just learned, so that's a plus. But I am attracted to the idea of the fat tire/low pressure way of cushioning mah bum, versus the higher initial cost and fussier maintenance of a FS all-mountain rig.

Plus, with it's low-tech looks, I can probably fool my girlfriend better with the Pugsley than another sort of new bike. She was suspicious when I told her my C'dale F4 only cost like $450, and I caught hell when I brought home my C'dale Capo after already having the mountain bike, as she didn't understand the "multiple bikes" thing very well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA

Did you ever see the pic here on MTBR of the guy diry jumping a Pug?
    I think I know the one you speak of, where it's the guy in the polo shirt pretty much upside down?

Gravity's Gone
    I haven't really ridden it enough to judge it's value as a year round bike. I can tell you that everybody that throws a leg over it and tries it smiles the whole time they do. My buddy ran into a guy riding one at Rattling Creek one time and he said he rode his as his only bike, and Rattling Creek is extremely technical & rocky. I was not in on the conversation so I'm only repeating this second hand, but that guy said he had grown sick of maintaining forks and was not having any luck with suspension reliability-wise so he went the Pugsley route.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Sweet! So you've sampled it on local trails, then?

I am really not huge on full suspension bikes, I prefer to keep it simple, in terms of maintenance and such, so I gravitate towards hardtails. And I was pondering getting into a 29er over the next year, and sampling some sort of steel frame, as well. Have had aluminum frames for like 15 years now, need something less rigid this time around.

On top of that, I'm not big on speed, I'm more of the "meandering through the woods checking out the scenery" type of rider.

Ergo, I am attracted to these bikes, but I heard it was kinda like driving a truck versus a car, what were your impressions? Fun enough to be a year-round bike? I can always put normal 29er wheels on it, I just learned, so that's a plus. But I am attracted to the idea of the fat tire/low pressure way of cushioning mah bum, versus the higher initial cost and fussier maintenance of a FS all-mountain rig.

Plus, with it's low-tech looks, I can probably fool my girlfriend better with the Pugsley than another sort of new bike. She was suspicious when I told her my C'dale F4 only cost like $450, and I caught hell when I brought home my C'dale Capo after already having the mountain bike, as she didn't understand the "multiple bikes" thing very well.
    It was fun to ride the Pug, It sucked everything up and felt like riding a pillow, hence the drag is def on the more side. I usually ride rigid SS with 2.55s so it was similar as far as tire drag. A year round bike? It comes down to just ride what you want to. If you get a Pug and learn the dos and don'ts of what it will or won't then you will have to decide if it works for you. Kind of a spend first then learn.

10 bucks says if ya get one you will be very popular and lots of questions will ensue.

Hey, Tiger Woods just wanted to "try on" a few other rides...LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Funny you posted this, I too have just taken a huge interest in the fat tyre scene.
    I'm curious about how much drag is there also. What kind of pressures are run? can you air way up and roll nicely? Is there fat 'slickish' tires for commuting?

I'd love to see this pic being talked about too

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I can't find the pic because I'm at work and our network blocks a lot of photo hosting sites, but as far as your other questions, a lot of them can be addressed in the Fatbike section of this site, that's where I've been reading up.

The pressures vary depending on terrain, but I think you can go as low as 5-10 PSI if needed. I just wish there was a tubeless wheel option, it seems silly to run tubes at that low a pressure.

And from what I understand, you can run 29" wheels and certain 29er tires if you want. I think.

Gravity's Gone

Pugsley

The Pugsley made an appearance on our local mountain today. I wasn't along on the ride, but here's some pix that were sent to me:

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-snow-ride...-take-easy-0160.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-snow-ride...-take-easy-0170.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-snow-ride...-take-easy-0240.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-snow-ride...-take-easy-0250.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-snow-ride...-take-easy-0280.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-snow-ride...-take-easy-0290.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-snow-ride...-take-easy-0300.jpg

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-snow-ride...-take-easy-0330.jpg

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I don't think John was running much more than 2 psi today, seemed like it just hooks up and goes.... p.s. it makes nice fat tracks in the snow, easy to follow.

Gives me PEACE of mine
    The dude nanker was talking about above that I met at rattling creek was 240 lbs and running 6 psi over big rocks.

mtbr member

Pugsley.......

We ride with a guy at Rattling Creek who has a Pugs....he rides in all conditions and all terrain and he rips it. We went to Kingdom Trails with him this summer and he let me try it out for awhile. Really alot of fun...liked the simplicity of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-card-1-kingdom-trails-018_800x600.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ahhh. want.

I should have researched more before I just dove in and bought my F4 at the LBS last year. haha.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    ahhh. want.

I should have researched more before I just dove in and bought my F4 at the LBS last year. haha.
    just do it...........(two bikes ARE better than one).

Gravity's Gone
    ahhh. want.

Your F4 is freakin hawt!!

Does anyone have a Surly Pugsley?-dsc00176.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks! I actually really like my F4 now that I did the 1x9 conversion and put a better crank/derailleur on. But man, the fatbikes just look like so much fun.

Did you ever have ham?
    I was blown away the first time I saw a Pug! That thing looks tough, like it can take anything you dish out and still ask for more! The thing I am curious about, though is how easy or difficult are they to pedal compared to a "normal" mountain bike?
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Gravity's Gone
    What's really cool is the front and rear wheels have the same spacing (135 mm). If you look at the pix real close you can see that John's front wheel has a cog on it. You can switch the front and rear wheels around and make it a single speed.

Gives me PEACE of mine
    Yep thats the dude Jeff. Easy face to remember. Cool guy a funereal director.Hope we only meet on the trail...lol.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    they feel surprisingly normal.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I have only ridden around parking lots tho.