Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Master Bukkake Blaster
    Sep 2014

does any body wanna ride betzwood?

I've been there a lot lately and the trails are pretty nice, who else rides here? i haven't seen too many people besides hikers. and also heard stuff about nude hikers and people called the "suspects" lol
    bike people are either some of the worst and most annoying people, or some of the coolest people you could meet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i ride there occasionally as it is my buddies home trails. real fun stuff!

i am betting the nude people and the suspects are the same group of folks you have been told/warned about. Not people you want to seek out unless you are interested in "male bonding" that goes far beyond riding bikes and maybe sharing a beer afterwords (gay hookup areas all over the parking lots at VF so if you see someone longingly staring at you as you ride by now you know; they don't just like your bike). all that said, it isn't bad though, i have never seen anything other than dudes hanging in parking lots looking creepy.

also, watch out for rangers as they don't actually want you riding anything other than the multi-use paths. I have never seen any but have seen stories here about encounters on occasion.

Master Bukkake Blaster
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    i ride there occasionally as it is my buddies home trails. real fun stuff!

i am betting the nude people and the suspects are the same group of folks you have been told/warned about. Not people you want to seek out unless you are interested in "male bonding" that goes far beyond riding bikes and maybe sharing a beer afterwords (gay hookup areas all over the parking lots at VF so if you see someone longingly staring at you as you ride by now you know; they don't just like your bike). all that said, it isn't bad though, i have never seen anything other than dudes hanging in parking lots looking creepy.

also, watch out for rangers as they don't actually want you riding anything other than the multi-use paths. I have never seen any but have seen stories here about encounters on occasion.
    haha I'm staying away from any one like that. i think I'm going to betzwood now. I've never actually seen a park ranger, but i was told they will occasionally "look the other way" and not say anything
    bike people are either some of the worst and most annoying people, or some of the coolest people you could meet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i think that attitude may have changed for the worse... if i were riding and saw a ranger i would not hang out to see if he wants to be friendly or not. but yeah; i have probably ridden there 50-75 times over the course of 5+ years and never seen a ranger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Fyi, there's a couple of big trees down on the park side of the river, close to the train tracks. Must've come down in last 5 days or so. I turned them into logovers; also cleared a bailout path around the bigger one. There's also a new, optional one alongside the main trail in the same area.

mtbr member
    I moved out that way last year and have yet to get on those trails. Still holding on to my old home trails of the Wiss and been heading out to French Creek, Downingtown/Sawmill Road. Betzwood is super close to me though. Is it pretty easy to navigate or do I need a tour to figure out where to go? Is there any group ride (the non-naked, no male bonding kind)? And does anybody night ride there?
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

Master Bukkake Blaster
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding View Post
    I moved out that way last year and have yet to get on those trails. Still holding on to my old home trails of the Wiss and been heading out to French Creek, Downingtown/Sawmill Road. Betzwood is super close to me though. Is it pretty easy to navigate or do I need a tour to figure out where to go? Is there any group ride (the non-naked, no male bonding kind)? And does anybody night ride there?
    you won't need a tour, and there is no group ride. Its actually not legal to ride there but its kind of an over looked thing that the park doesn't care about. I would night ride there with some one else, as i don't have a light. There are weirdos there, me and my friend call it pickle park bc its pretty much a gay hookup spot (at the parking lot anyways) the trails are fine though.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I will avoid dropping the soap in the parking lots.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It's not hard to navigate; the main trails run parallel to the river. Take a look at the Strava global heat map. I always park at the Pawlings road lot at the start of the Valley Forge River Trail, no weird stuff there.

mtbr member
    I park at the Pawling Rd. lot as well, warm up on the Audubon Loop, then head into the woods about a half mile down the SRT. Great place to ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    for those of you that park off pawlings, any of you night ride there? what's the best lot to park at & best access point for night riding?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you're going to night ride, then parking at Pawlings Road is your best bet. They close the regular park lots at dusk. You can access the trails by riding down the SRT and hanging a right into the trails. Or if you go right on Pawlings road maybe 500 feet down on the left is a gravel road. It goes to one of the historical buildings, and if you follow the gravel, it will turn to the right and at the end there's a turn around. You can either go left into the trails (sometimes overgrown and hard to find) or go right and do the loop out there, then head back and cross over to go ride more trails and head towards the more commonly used trails towards the regular parking lot that is actually in the park.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    that's what i was figuring would be my best bet. thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Ride there all the time. It's my home ride gets a lil boring but it's just to convenient. The single track on the other side of the rive that loops has almost recovered from the last big storms. The loop closest to the river gets beat to **** when the schulkil rages but it's nice now. Built a trail around those two huge downed trees and now u can ride it without dismounting

The betzwood wood parking lots are beyond gay hook ups out of control how creepy those dudes are. Biked up to a bad scene in the woods years ago and almost wrecked. Let's just say one of the two dudes was on his knees. F'ed up. Right on the trail. At least walk into the woods wtf

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhamss View Post
    Ride there all the time. It's my home ride gets a lil boring but it's just to convenient. The single track on the other side of the rive that loops has almost recovered from the last big storms. The loop closest to the river gets beat to **** when the schulkil rages but it's nice now. Built a trail around those two huge downed trees and now u can ride it without dismounting
    are you referring to the north or south side of the river? south of the river i've only ever done the paved trails in the park on my road bike.

mtbr member
    the 4 miles of nice single track are on the south side. thats where those two huge trees have been down for a couple yrs?. its on the loop closest to the river. parking is no more off 23 bc of the pedestrian bridge construction so either park by GW HQ and head up the hill on gavel path and then cross over the tracks near the bottom thats where this loop picks up. or you can park at betzwood and ride the ped bridge back across the river..you have to work around the new fences put up to get to the single track but its now big deal

here is a link to google maps. trail is not listed but runs all along here between the tracks and the river
    https://goo.gl/maps/wqugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    just a word of caution, if you use strava or similar apps make your loops private. I have been scolded by aself-righteous type on strava after riding on snowy days and "not riding in straight lines" ........not kidding. Hard to say whether the guy is a true whacko or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    just a word of caution, if you use strava or similar apps make your loops private. I have been scolded by aself-righteous type on strava after riding on snowy days and "not riding in straight lines" ........not kidding. Hard to say whether the guy is a true whacko or not.
    There is nothing 'straight' going on in Betzwoods...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    There is nothing 'straight' going on in Betzwoods...
    It took me 2 days to get that one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

does any body wanna ride betzwood?

I missed the new path around the big downed trees ... Where is it?
    Last edited by Lou Z. Ryder; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just a heads up, and not to be a buzz kill.....Ranger activity seems to be very high so far this year...I heard about someone who got a big ticket for night riding, and I have seen the SUV hanging around trail entrances and also an unmarked white truck (ford ranger maybe). I also got the "no bikes here" from hikers ( one who had an off leash dog of course) twice recently after riding completely unharassed for 4+ years. For all I know they read these threads...just a friendly reminder to be a little stealth when you are out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    that's disappointing to read.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    thats rich. yea don't bike but let your dog roam free. I have always found VF to be an adventure as most area riding. between horses hikers pets. i am just polite regardless and go about my ride. last thing I want to get into is an argument with some douche nozzle about how to best use the trail

mtbr member
    i have not been out in close to 2 months but will this weekend and see if its still there. chances are it was destroyed by rangers although this is an area we are allowed to ride and they do absolutely nothing to help the cause. there will be downed trees on the trails for years so the MTB path in the section has always been an evolution w mother nature and the river flooding

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast