Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Do you think we will ever ride again..

It is the loooongest winter ever!! do you think we will ever get out and ride again? I'm not talking about slugging along all bundled up with ice snots hanging, i mean whipping fast and loving life!
    Sure I've been out on a ride or two, gotta say they were ok, but its just not the same. I don't even think I can watch another bike video..
    I've been to the slopes, were going camping next weekend..(maybe will post some pics) and hey that's an open invite for anyone here in NEPA. Tell me whats getting you thru this..?
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    I dunno I had a good time last Saturday, it got up into the high 40's, but then was a high of 20 on Sunday. Now there calling for this huge snow storm sunday night,getting around 10 inches of snow. I should of built that snow bike...lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Myself and a group of buddies had pretty much been riding every weekend through the winter til the snow fell. Cold as hell some days but better than being stuck at home. But the snow has now become a drag. We even attempted to ride it and that just sucked. Trying to wait it out, but I've got a new bike with 4 rides on it waiting in the basement....................I'm losing my paitence. Going to try to ride sunday, somewhere, come hell or high......snow.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    follow the snowmobile tracks you can ride forever up crystal lake, snow is packed like concrete

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
    Myself and a group of buddies had pretty much been riding every weekend through the winter til the snow fell. Cold as hell some days but better than being stuck at home. But the snow has now become a drag. We even attempted to ride it and that just sucked. ...
    This exactly. Temperature has no affect at all on whether I will ride. Did a couple rides this year with way negative wind chills, and one bike commute to work at zero degrees air temp. Doesn't bother me much usually. But snow sure does when it's been this deep.

I always thought fat bikes were pretty stupid, but after this winter I may just have to build one up (which, if nothing else will probably ensure that it never snows again with my luck). Haven't been on a proper trail ride since that big snow fell in January. I even tried last Sunday, thinking temps in the upper 40s for FIVE DAYS would have knocked enough snow out. Got to Gretna and it was up to my shin and very slippery. Made it 1/10th a mile before calling it quits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm building a new bike up and the prolonged winter is totally de-motivating me. I look at the half built bike with limp cables dangling from the bars and then look out the window and say "oh, maybe next week." Now the snow is all frozen and crunchy and cross country skiing is no fun either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Do you think we will ever ride again..

Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    This exactly. Temperature has no affect at all on whether I will ride. Did a couple rides this year with way negative wind chills, and one bike commute to work at zero degrees air temp. Doesn't bother me much usually. But snow sure does when it's been this deep.

I always thought fat bikes were pretty stupid, but after this winter I may just have to build one up (which, if nothing else will probably ensure that it never snows again with my luck). Haven't been on a proper trail ride since that big snow fell in January. I even tried last Sunday, thinking temps in the upper 40s for FIVE DAYS would have knocked enough snow out. Got to Gretna and it was up to my shin and very slippery. Made it 1/10th a mile before calling it quits.
    This. Exactly. x 10

To add insult to injury, I received my new bike the day before we received 12" of snow in Jan, and it still hasn't melted. It's been warm several times but after each there is a new layer of snow before the next refreeze. I'm still waiting for my bikes first ride. Arg.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    This. Exactly. x 10

To add insult to injury, I received my new bike the day before we received 12" of snow in Jan, and it still hasn't melted. It's been warm several times but after each there is a new layer of snow before the next refreeze. I'm still waiting for my bikes first ride. Arg.
    Oh that just sucks, lol. I bought snowshoes for my wife and I this past week. At least it'll get us in the woods. Been too deep to even hike with the mutts.

I just wish we lived somewhere the winter was predictably like this. It would make the investment in fat bike much easier to justify. Hard to justify $1,500 on a bike you may only ride once a year some years, and for two months other years like this one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Do you think we will ever ride again..

Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I just wish we lived somewhere the winter was predictably like this.
    No thanks. You can have the place all to yourself.

I almost bought a fatbike this year. What stopped me was that even though it opens up some riding opportunities, even the fat-blessed are sidelined in many conditions. Deep snow, icy trails, etc. I could add studs for ice but then I need two sets of tires that are enormous and expensive for a bike I ride 10 times a year if I'm lucky? Ugh

But after this winter I might do it anyway.

mtbr member
    I was able to escape winter for a while. I'm in New Mexico now for work, it's 79 here today, supposed to dip down to 35 on Monday, BRRRR. I've been here for a week now and should be home next weekend, really not looking forward to the snow and cold again.
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I don`t want to start a pissing match ,but I have been riding my Fatbike all winter.Matter of fact since Jan 1st I have over 800+ miles on it.Sure deep snow will stop/slow you down,go ride some snow covered dirt roads till they groom the snowmobile trails.Do you guy`s know Pa has hundreds of miles of snowmobile trails all over the state?Right now the trails are perfect ,I did a 30 mile ride today.I hope it will last a few more weeks as we may be riding dirt next winter,happy trails KP

mtbr member
    I havent rode in the past 2 week's but I rode all winter before that. Lots of people have been out riding around here. I rode my AM bike with some fat bikes the other week out on the crust. Rode several places with snow cover before the biggest storm, just need to figure out how bad you want it.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

The White Jeff W
    Here on the other side of the state it's starting to turn around. I got a pretty good ride in yesterday. It was about 60% dirt, 40% packed snow. Thing is, it was solid ice under the snow. Pretty sketchy. It was nice to feel frozen dirt under my tires though. Even got enough speed to get a little air a couple times. It aint much, but Ill take it. Hang in there, brothers.

Hillman State Park near Pittsburgh

Do you think we will ever ride again..-1978814_10203237068627063_2000831376_n.jpg
    No moss...

mtbr member
    This is a pretty good time to get out and do some trail maintenance. Lisa and I have been out the last few weekends doing some trimming/sawing on the trails as well as scouting out a new area for a secret project.

And when there's too much snow to hike or bike in, there's always snow-tubing, ski-biking, or cross country skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Here on the other side of the state it's starting to turn around. I got a pretty good ride in yesterday. It was about 60% dirt, 40% packed snow. Thing is, it was solid ice under the snow. Pretty sketchy. It was nice to feel frozen dirt under my tires though. Even got enough speed to get a little air a couple times. It aint much, but Ill take it. Hang in there, brothers.

Hillman State Park near Pittsburgh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1978814_10203237068627063_2000831376_n.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	873506
    aaahh, thats starting to look like something there! Nice pic..
    we are heading to Cranx in NY thursday of this week to get some ride time in. And Mike..your right about a good time to be out doing some light TM, its easy to cut down the low hanging branches ect.
    Oh well, only another foot of snow tonight! HA

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I feel your pain. Was able to ride the trails around my area until mid-January before the ice age started. Now it's just too deep and crusty.

I don't mind low temps because I have the kit, but I'm getting a little bored riding the plowed roads and snowmobile tracks.

I need a little more adrenaline in my life. Screw off winter..

mtbr member
    May 2010

Do you think we will ever ride again..

It's been a good ski season!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Got out with a couple buddies today just to put a few miles back. Rode the Ironton Rail trail, which is paved and not much fun on an all mountain bike, but at least we got out some. Also rode the spur which was packed snow to solid ice, and very sketchy at spots. But it was 35 degrees and we got out and knocked off 11 miles, just making do with what we can til the fun stuff is clear again..........Still beats siiting on the couch staring at the bike.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    This Bike is getting me through this winter....quite possibly the best bike purchase I ever made. Today was a great 17 miles. Makes dirt roads and snowmobile trails actually fun this time of year.

Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've owned two fatbikes thus far, and the current one gets ridden year round, albeit not as much in the summer as my FS bike, but I've ridden it more in the past summer than I have this winter. The problem is most of my local trails are all rutted and iced over from walkers, I'd have to drive over an hour to find somewhere groomed. That being said, I still love that I have one.

But, winter riding is no substitute for railing around a banked turn as fast as I can so I can clear the double after the corner without having to pump through it.

I do like riding in the winter though. Lately I've taken to winding back roads, it gives me an excuse to road ride. I've also started to commute to work via bike a few days a week. A bicycle ride is a bicycle ride!

Really tho, I look forward to Dirt Fest with much anticipation. For me, that is the real start of the season!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I've been riding all winter: Fatbike don't care! I've also logged quite a few miles at Batsto, NJ. the trails there are snow free. (at least they were)
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Our Trails were perfectly snow covered up until January, when we got that ice and heavy snow....that pretty much put an end to singletrack here. However thankfully the State Grooms the Snowmobile trails and the sleds do a nice job of it too....but you're right, I look forward to warm weather, shorts, short sleeves, regular cycling shoes, and my Lynskey again...

Next year, my father is going to help me out and build us a Fat Bike Trail Groomer. I seen one on Fat Bike.com You pull it behind a Sled....but when I get it built and anyone in PA near me wants to use it on their local stuff....I'll lend it out for that....more people riding in PA the better.

This is the Groomer we're going to do next year.

Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post
    Our Trails were perfectly snow covered up until January, when we got that ice and heavy snow....that pretty much put an end to singletrack here. However thankfully the State Grooms the Snowmobile trails and the sleds do a nice job of it too....but you're right, I look forward to warm weather, shorts, short sleeves, regular cycling shoes, and my Lynskey again...

Next year, my father is going to help me out and build us a Fat Bike Trail Groomer. I seen one on Fat Bike.com You pull it behind a Sled....but when I get it built and anyone in PA near me wants to use it on their local stuff....I'll lend it out for that....more people riding in PA the better.

This is the Groomer we're going to do next year.

Nice set up!!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I don't even know who I am anymore. Haven't ridden my bikes in 3 months.

I'm certainly not afraid of riding in below freezing temps, but this has been the worst winter ever for trail conditions.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I rode this morning.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast