mtbr member

Dirty Harry's Verona

Does anyone have any experience with this place?

What do you think about it?

How is their service dept?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I always hear good things about DH's. I had my wheels trued there once and the turn around time was like 4 hours...

Every time I go there, they always greet me and seem friendly.

Life is Good
    Great shop. It's not my local shop, but I go there whenever I am in the area. I had a bike built there about 10 years ago and the turnaround time was quick and the job was done right. The guys are nice and fun to talk to whenever I stop in.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I heard very good things about them from a few sources. I never been there personally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jen0910
    Does anyone have any experience with this place?

What do you think about it?

How is their service dept?

Thanks.

Undoubtedly the best shop in the immediate Pittsburgh area. They ensure the bike fits right and are patient with you through your selection.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Send Dirt Rag an email... they can tell you TONS about them.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Uphill? What's that
    I had more than one bad experience with that place so I avoid it like the plague.
    Found their service department to be the worst i have ever dealt with and their sales team was very unprofessional.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Very surprised to see anything negative about them

the unvarnished nonsense
    Best shop in the 'burgh with the most knowledgeable staff. Started going there in the early '90s when I lived in the North Side. Used them for everything from parts/service to ordering hard to find frames from manufacturers that they don't carry. After we moved to Slatyfork, WV, I would still take my Switchblade and wife's Racer-X back for pivot work as there were no Titus dealers in all of WV (and if there were, I wouldn't have trusted them as much as I trust Barri and his staff). Ordered my Niner from Barri over the phone and drove the 4 hours (one way) to pick it up after it arrived. During one trip back to visit family I dropped off a bike for a new bottom bracket only to discover I had a fork near the failing point. Knowing my situation, Barri removed an identical fork from one of his PERSONAL bikes, installed it on mine, and a few weeks later personally DELIVERED and INSTALLED my rebuilt fork while visiting for a weekend of riding. I have always found them to be great folks in the shop and great riders outside of the shop. Mountain, road, cross, they know and do it all. They are strong advocates of all forms of cycling and supporters of many individuals, groups and teams. They log countless hours of trail work and lead regular group rides out of the shop.

So, yeah, they're OK, I guess.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    After seeing all good reviews I decided to go to Dirty Harry's to have the seals on my fork replaced (it was leaking noticably more than it ever had in the past) because I didn't want to send it back to Fox.
    When I dropped the fork off I was scolded that I hadn't been doing it every year (I got the bike new in '09 and I'm not an agressive rider) and the mechanic acted like he did'nt believe me that it was leaking.
    I was a little worried at that point that I had picked the wrong place for service. But, when I went back to pick up the fork everyone there seemed really nice. I got my fork back in a week and my bike isn't in a heap in the basement anymore. It seems like they did a good job.

the unvarnished nonsense
    I forgot to add one small bit of info in my previous post, and figured it wasn't important enough to go back and edit. Now, I wish I had. I was going to add this tidbit: When going in for service, taking a six pack along always seemed to quicken turn around time and, on occasion, reduced the bill.

Glad your bike is back in order!
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Have bought several bikes and numerous pieces of gear from them always at the highest msrp. Their mechanics couldn't care less about you and your bike. After being sold on Stans Tubeless tire solution, they offered to install in on my wheels and when it blew out my back tire seconds into my first ride all they did was laugh and refuse me a refund. Last time I had my bike in for a tune-up I was up charged for everything they did as usual, AND while in the shop they broke my rear shock seal. When I brought it back they assumed none of the fault on their behalf and actually wanted to charge me again to fix the damages they caused!!! I'm am never going back to them and would urge all others to STAY AWAY from these RIP OFF ARTISTS!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Pretty easy to spot the fake reviews here. I bent my back rim about 5mm last month. They brought it back to less than 1mm via spoke tension without replacing any of the nipples for $10+ tax. Spent a good 20 minutes with it in the truing stand. Good luck beating that price or service.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I realize that was my first post on this thread but everything I said happened to me. I have done business with them for over 15 years and it's just been nothing but stacking disappointments in the past few.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Barry and his crew are some of the best in the business. Over the years, I have bought bikes from most of the shops in the eastern part of Allegheny County. Barry has been there since the beginning, leading rides, making trails, and supporting biking in general. The shop is always friendly, and the deals are fair. They don't sell junk, maybe that is what turned off other commenters.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Also need to mention THICK Bikes. 15th & Bingham Pittsburgh (South Side). More diverse selection of bikes and people. THey have a huge inventory of new and used bikes, and an excellent service dep't. The owner, Chris, started out building BMX bikes, and gradually expanded into a huge retail shop with 2 floors. Definitely check them out if you are in town.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This shop in my opinion is outstanding! Bought many bikes there, and if and when I had issues they were resolved. And they do in fact maintain trails for all of us to ride and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The best shop in the Pittsburgh area is Big Bang cycles in west mifflin, When I bought my scott scale there they size it up for you and take time to explain things about the bike, and the first tune up is free of charge after the break in period. I have broken spokes 3x and they fixed it each time free of charge (not sure if thats part of the warranty) I actually just bought a new bike from a different dealer and will take it to big bang for any service needed on the bike.