mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Dirtfest--roll call

I'm so excited to go to Dirtfest next weekend. Who's in? Any advice from anyone who has camped there? What is the campground like?

I'm going to ride until I can't move my legs anymore...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'll be there.......I'm from Pittsburgh.

I just made a post on the Dirt Fest Facebook page.........I'm not camping, and it sounds like there is a possibility that things won't be very user friendly for those who aren't camping. I hope that's not the case.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The bikes are packed, and the red eye from LAX leaves this Wednesday. We're attempting have the most miles travelled to get to DirtFest. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'll be there with 5 other guys from the Reading/Lancaster area. I am sure it is going to be a blast!

mtbr member
    The Mrs. and I will be driving in from Ohio and we'll be camping over at Seven Points (gotta have a shower!). I see that there will be a shuttle service back and forth, so I think we'll be good to go. Anybody have the lowdown on the trails? I've never been there and I could use some recommendations for my wife, as she is an intermediate rider (although she conquered Moab and Fruita last year). Thanks all and cheers in advance!!
    better than he was before. better. stronger. faster.

Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005
    Rode the north trails yesterday. It's like a giant pump track in the middle of the woods. Loads of fun. Be careful if you go to Dirtfest - you can carry a lot of speed through the trails and there are numerous blind corners. Could get hairy if the estimate of 1000-1500 people rings true...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A group from Philly are coming up. I'll be on the Beasley with yellow bottle cages. Camping somewhere and don't really care. Just happy to go and ride.

dsx
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbratt
    Could get hairy if the estimate of 1000-1500 people rings true...
    The current registration list shows a little more than 600 people; and registration closes today. Though thats still more than enough people to potentially cause some traffic jams, I'd imagine. The last email they had sent out mentioned that people need to pay attention to the event trail signage; so at least that will hopefully mean nobody going against a pre-defined flow. We'll see, though!

-DS

mtbr member
    Can you guys recommend single speed gear? 32X??

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I will be there but just outta random chance...can anyone tell me a little more about it? I literally had no idea about it but ill be up there for the weekend so...

Any links/info would be helpful

I assume you cant ride unless you register?

mtbr member

I'm in..........

A Jersey rider who plans to be there.

This being what would be the 25th anniversay of Jim Thorpe MBW, I wouldn't miss it. Too bad the Raystown Lake trails were not here when I went to college at St. Francis U which is only about an hour away. Of course, back in the day, there were no such things as "mountain bike" and we would have used cruisers.

Staying at a Comfort Inn nearby. I long ago gave up on camping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66
    Can you guys recommend single speed gear? 32X??
    I'm wondering the same thing. Currently running 32 X 20 but heard I might need to go to 18T or 16T.

mtbr member
    Okay, so I've been following the weather...

How do the trails hold up? I've heard they drain quickly.
    better than he was before. better. stronger. faster.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm running a 32/19 gearing. Heard there are not major climbs so you can drop the rear cog if you want to haul on your SS.

I would imagine the trails drain well considering the Army built them, not deer. Chance of rain Saturday.

Dinner for wolves
    Heading up on Saturday...boo. Better late than never, right? I'll be the one in sneakers and cotton. Can't wait.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    I booked a cabin in February for my family this weekend, and just found out about Dirtfest. We planned on riding Saturday and Sunday. Aside from the crappy weather forecast, is Dirtfest going to really crowd the trails? I see that there is a ride at 3:00 on Saturday, and we normally ride early. Not really looking forward to guiding my wife and kids thru the trails if they are going to be really crowded. What's the outlook?
    1995 Cannondale M500, Amp F3XC Fork
    1996 Scott Vertigo LSD (FS), Judy XC Fork
    2009 Windsor Cliff 29 Pro, RS Tora Race

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just rode there this past weekend (first time). The trails have great drainage, so no worries if it rains the day before. Have fun on Ray's Revenge!

The White Jeff W
    There's 20 or so coming down from the BABES (Beaver Area Bicycle Enthusiasts)

I am not.
    No moss...

I'm more of a dog person
    the final tally of registered riders was around 800 I believe. The trails were quite crowded on Saturday. Had a rainstorm in the afternoon kept growing that lasted until basically Sunday morning. Dirtfest turned into mudfest. up until that point the trails were absolutely superb. one big fast and fun track. there were a couple of riders down early and one (from our local crew) had to be Helivac'd out, but she is doing OK, thanks to some riders with EMT creds. Aside from these setbacks, all in all it was a good w/e with plenty of great riding. Next year should be even better.