Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest | May 18-21, 2017 Here are the details for the event

Facility Details - SEVEN POINTS (PA), PA - Recreation.gov
    The second link for camping at seven points. today is the first day to book for the event, trust me it will fill up fast, even if your not sure if your going to make it, book anyways,if you cancel you will get most of your money back, cost was 81 for the three days.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Reservations made at Seven Points.
    Site 103 - VCAM Loop

Last year we stayed at Seven Points. Site 93, VCAM Loop. We slept in tents, which may not have been the ideal situation given the rain we had.

This year, we're staying on the same loop as we liked it there, but are bringing a camper instead of tents.

Like sml-2727 mentioned, don't wait too long to make reservations. Last year they filled up quick.

I'm already looking forward to this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Getting closer so I thought it deserving of a bump.

Heres a link to their Facebook page. Lots of info...
    https://www.facebook.com/DirtRagDirtFest/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008

Sunday Shitty Sunday

And as always be ready to jet once the shitty weather will inevitably arrive Sunday. Suppose to be a terrible tick season this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    And as always be ready to jet once the shitty weather will inevitably arrive Sunday. Suppose to be a terrible tick season this year.
    Compared to last year, if the rain waits till Sunday, I'll be relieved.

Last edited by Coal-Cracker; 03-09-2017 at 02:02 AM.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    My team and I will be there raising hell again, rain or shine.

#teamfat

mtbr member
    Im starting to get a little more excited, I wanted to demo a Kona Wozo but it looks like that bike is not on the demo fleet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    My team and I will be there raising hell again, rain or shine.

#teamfat
    Me and my hooligans will be there once again. I think 15 of us signed up on January 1. We go by the name Team America. We have a banner hanging at the camp. They have always given us campsite 9 which is the first site at the bottom of the hill from the expo. There is usually around 20 of us. Anxiously awaiting campsite selections because the Dirt Rag staff has changed up a few members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Im starting to get a little more excited, I wanted to demo a Kona Wozo but it looks like that bike is not on the demo fleet.
    I was reading through last year's follow-up posts...
    Glad to see you've had a change of heart.

I'm definitely looking forward to the event. All things considered, I still had a good time last year.

We'll be at Site 103 on VCAM Loop ('top' of the loop) at 7 Points.
    Anyone is invited to stop by, say hello, and have a beer.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Me and my hooligans will be there once again. I think 15 of us signed up on January 1. We go by the name Team America. We have a banner hanging at the camp. They have always given us campsite 9 which is the first site at the bottom of the hill from the expo. There is usually around 20 of us. Anxiously awaiting campsite selections because the Dirt Rag staff has changed up a few members.

I've been trying to call them to fix some registration / group count issues for weeks now, but nobody is answering the damn number they have listed for that purpose. I tried emailing, as well, but got no response.

It's too bad the Outfitter shop up there is no longer handing things -- was always easy to reach them...

mtbr member

Do you guys go to ride or just party? It seems the people that dont care about drinking and partying all night camp at 7 points and the rest stay at the refugee camp at susq, camp site...lol
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Do you guys go to ride or just party? It seems the people that dont care about drinking and partying all night camp at 7 points and the rest stay at the refugee camp at susq, camp site...lol
    We party hard and ride hard. Haha. There is a lot of shenanigans going on at the susquehannock campsites for sure. It's all good fun. The band and beer tent is near our camp 9. It's fun. We burn the candle at both ends you could say. Mostly because we all have families and when we get together for bike trips we get a chance to let loose and party likes it 1999.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    ^that.

My team hasn't figured out how to reserve a specific spot on the peninsula, though. Last year, they stuck five of us in a campsite seemingly made for two, and it was kinda lame. This year, we have six going, but I'm afraid they'll again expect us to all Danny-up in one tent, or something... I hope not. With six people who each paid for parking, we might not even have room for a tent this time! LOL

We really need to figure out how to do it right for a change...

mtbr member
    Lol.
    Yeah, that was definitely us at 7 Points last year...

Don't get me wrong, the beer flowed freely once we were done riding each day (and maybe one or two for breakfast), but I must be getting too old 'cause I was asleep by 10 pm each night.

I did notice that each morning I was the first one up and moving, at least concerning all the surrounding sites to ours.
    Which, I guess, only confirms that I'm an old man. Haha....

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017

I am reserved at 7 Points for Saturday night at SENO Site 188, I am still trying to get a site for Friday night, if not I will be just there for the day and going home for the night. This will be my first time going to the festival or Raystown Lake.

I am looking forward to going riding and getting my gf to demo some bikes while we are there.
    Last edited by nrweaver; 03-19-2017 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nrweaver View Post
    I am reserved at 7 Points for Saturday night at SENO Site 188, I am still trying to get a site for Friday night, if not I will be just there for the day and going home for the night. This will be my first time going to the festival or Raystown Lake.

I am looking forward to going riding and getting my gf to demo some bikes while we are there.
    Thats a lot of trails to squeeze into one day.
    If you have to prioritize, make absolutely certain to ride Osprey and Hydro Loop. They are both in the area of the main festival/demo bikes, so demoing a bike on these trails would be convenient.

Hopefully, others will chime in with their favorites as well.

Interplanetary Traveler
    I've got SENO site 239 reserved at 7 points for thurs-sat.

Anyone who stops by looking for a Phat Cactus will be rewarded with a cold beverage :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    Thats a lot of trails to squeeze into one day.
    If you have to prioritize, make absolutely certain to ride Osprey and Hydro Loop. They are both in the area of the main festival/demo bikes, so demoing a bike on these trails would be convenient.

Hopefully, others will chime in with their favorites as well.

Ride Ridge to Rays Revenge to Sidewinder. So much fun. So high speed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017

Thanks everyone for recommendations,

I will actually be there all 3 days, I was late on getting reservations, but I am still watching for a cancellation for Friday night, otherwise I'll drive the 1.5ish hours home and then come back early Saturday morning.

My gf is a complete beginner and really needs to demo some new bikes, she does enjoy it just not sure if she wants to upgrade to something modern or not.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for recommendations,

I will actually be there all 3 days, I was late on getting reservations, but I am still watching for a cancellation for Friday night, otherwise I'll drive the 1.5ish hours home and then come back early Saturday morning.

My gf is a complete beginner and really needs to demo some new bikes, she does enjoy it just not sure if she wants to upgrade to something modern or not.

I was there for Thursday last year, not much really happening but it was the best day weather wise, and that would be the best day to demo bikes it really does not pick up til Friday going into Saturday. Im holding off before I buy my tickets if the weather looks crappy im not even going to bother driving up, they wont demo bikes if its raining and the trails are crappy. Im staying in RCAM, which is one of the better camp sites, after staying in VCAM last year there is no way I want to climb that hill again...lol
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    ... Im staying in RCAM, which is one of the better camp sites, after staying in VCAM last year there is no way I want to climb that hill again...lol
    I look at the hill as a good warm up. A REAL good warm up.

Actually, we only climbed that hill once last year. After that we drove up, parked in the visitors center lot, and either rode from there or caught the shuttle.

Edited to add:

Does anyone know if there is a connecting trail from VCAM Loop to RCAM Loop?

If I remember correctly. Wasn't there a service road at the top of VCAM possibly connecting the 2 loops?
    That would avoid that hill.

Last edited by Coal-Cracker; 03-20-2017 at 10:22 PM.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Ride Ridge to Rays Revenge to Sidewinder. So much fun. So high speed.

This is the correct answer.

mtbr member
    I look at the hill as a good warm up. A REAL good warm up.

Actually, we only climbed that hill once last year. After that we drove up, parked in the visitors center lot, and either rode from there or caught the shuttle.

Edited to add:

Does anyone know if there is a connecting trail from VCAM Loop to RCAM Loop?

If I remember correctly. Wasn't there a service road at the top of VCAM possibly connecting the 2 loops?
    That would avoid that hill.

I think there is, but not sure where it hooks up at, also they started to do some pipeline work around the seven points area, not sure what it has effected in that area but some trails are closed.

I did read though that there is an all new expo located right in seven points now, should be interesting.
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    I did read though that there is an all new expo located right in seven points now, should be interesting.
    Yeah, I'm also interested to see what they'll have at (I'm assuming) the Visitor's Center this year.

Not sure if you had the opportunity, but I've been back to Raystown since last year's dirtragfest, and the skills park is a blast. You have to check it out. Though I anticipate it being pretty crowded.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm also interested to see what they'll have at (I'm assuming) the Visitor's Center this year.

Not sure if you had the opportunity, but I've been back to Raystown since last year's dirtragfest, and the skills park is a blast. You have to check it out. Though I anticipate it being pretty crowded.

No I have not, it was just being built last year.
    So far the fleet of Demo bikes looks pretty good, I see YT is coming, I asked how many bikes they bringing, they said "A Lot" since there is no other way to try a jeffsy it will be cool to check one out. Last year because of the rain I had no chance to demo a bike, even though im bringing my own bike, I would like to try out a few others, its not every day yoy get a chance to ride a 10k bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    YT is going to be there this year? Damn. Gonna miss them. The Guerilla Gravity guys told me that Dirt Fest is on their radar for 2018. I would love to demo a Trail Pistol and/or a Megatrail.

I need to get back to Raystown. Osprey owes me one for the helo ride out at DF2014.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Has anyone been able to reach the organizers using the pre-event number or email listed on their page? I've left half a dozen voicemails, and sent a few emails, all with no response.

I have a teammate registration/camping issue that I need sorted, but can't reach anyone.

Any ideas? Know anyone outside of normal channels I could reach out to?

Please and thank you.

Edit: nevermind. Successfully reached "Evan" from Dirtrag today, so all is good!
    Last edited by paleh0rse; 03-31-2017 at 01:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Just bought tickets and booked a cabin at a nearby campground for this year. Everything on-site is completely sold out, but I think the cabin will work out. This will be my first Dirt Fest, so I'm really looking forward to it! The only thing I'm a little concerned about is the shuttle situation. We'll be driving a few miles to the event each day, so we'll need to park and hop on a shuttle. From everything I've been reading, it sounds like 45 minute wait times are the norm. That's kind of shitty, hopefully it won't be quite that bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    We've ridden out to seven points from susquehannock and taken the shuttle back once and time it just right that we didn't really wait. We've also waited to take the shuttle from the expo area to give up and ride. I think it depends on time of day on how they will be.
    Last edited by csheakos; 04-27-2017 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    I think they were faster than that, what really got me nervous is how fast they drive with close to 50k worth of bikes on the trailer...

If you are coming on each day, you will need to park at the visitor center.

mtbr member
    I think they were faster than that, what really got me nervous is how fast they drive with close to 50k worth of bikes on the trailer...

If you are coming on each day, you will need to park at the visitor center.
    I have read that parking is in short supply. Is it reasonable to expect parking to be available at the Visitor's Center? On the Dirt Fest site it doesn't mention the Visitor's Center...

"Day Parking:
    Peninsula Expo North Trails: Bakers Hollow Parking Lot
    Bike Park Expo South Trails: Mushroom or Redbud Lots"

Another thing I'm trying to figure out is how to plan for dealing with my own bike while I'm demoing others. Do people lock them to trees, etc? I wouldn't want to leave my own bike all the way back at the campground in case there are no demos available. I only have two bikes that I am specifically trying to ride to test out, but I wouldn't want to get stuck with nothing to ride and having to shuttle and then drive back to get the bike in that case. I've done plenty of demo days in the past, but nothing like Dirt Fest where my own bike will be farther away than a two minute walk to the truck. I was at one last year where only small and XL frames were left, so I just grabbed my own bike to ride. Here that seems like it would be a real pain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    We've left bikes at camp unattended and laying against trees unlocked for a couple hours while drinking our way through the expo and have had no problems. I think most people at the event are pretty good at not bothering your stuff. There are always some crappy people out there though, so I guess anything is a risk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    I have read that parking is in short supply. Is it reasonable to expect parking to be available at the Visitor's Center? On the Dirt Fest site it doesn't mention the Visitor's Center...

"Day Parking:
    Peninsula Expo North Trails: Bakers Hollow Parking Lot
    Bike Park Expo South Trails: Mushroom or Redbud Lots"

Another thing I'm trying to figure out is how to plan for dealing with my own bike while I'm demoing others. Do people lock them to trees, etc? I wouldn't want to leave my own bike all the way back at the campground in case there are no demos available. I only have two bikes that I am specifically trying to ride to test out, but I wouldn't want to get stuck with nothing to ride and having to shuttle and then drive back to get the bike in that case. I've done plenty of demo days in the past, but nothing like Dirt Fest where my own bike will be farther away than a two minute walk to the truck. I was at one last year where only small and XL frames were left, so I just grabbed my own bike to ride. Here that seems like it would be a real pain.
    The visitor center was about 80% percent full and the shuttle has a stop near there...thats also where they have the new pump track and I think I read Trek will have a demo tent there, also I remember seeing peoples bikes left at where they demoed a bike...I know you need to bring your own pedals and credit card and photo ID to demo a bike, So I assumed people took there pedals off there bike in order to demo one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Finally was able to get camp sites booked for Friday and Saturday nights SENO 213

Does anyone know if they are nice and let you check in early if no one is on your site the night before? Some places are cool about it but others aren't.

mtbr member
    When I showed up last year my spot was open and I was able to set up my camper, A ranger told me to be sure and check in at 5 when the office opens.

I checked your spot on recreation.gov and nobody is there for thursday so you should have no problem.
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    We got there around noon last year.
    After registering for the festival at the Visitor's Center, we were able to check in to the campsite office at 1:00 since they allowed for early check-in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017

Awesome thanks guys for letting me know, now we just have to hope it doesn't rain

mtbr member
    Awesome thanks guys for letting me know, now we just have to hope it doesn't rain

Yeah, it'd be nice if it doesn't rain. But, even if it does, the trails will still remain open.
    And assuming it's like last year (it rained all day Saturday), Pedro's had a cleaning station set up to clean your bike afterwards.

mtbr member
    Well looking at the early forcast, as of today, it looks like it will be a nice few days for Dirtfest.

Interplanetary Traveler
    *Fingers crossed* Its getting close! I wonder how the repairs to the bike park have been coming along?

mtbr member
    Well looking at the early forcast, as of today, it looks like it will be a nice few days for Dirtfest.
    Upper 70's with a 20% chance of rain. Looks good!!

mtbr member
    Anyone buy there tickets yet? im going to hold off til Friday, price goes up to 70 Monday before 12.
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017

Ya I'm holding off until last day before they go up
    Watching the weather as long as possible

mtbr member
    Anyone buy there tickets yet? im going to hold off til Friday, price goes up to 70 Monday before 12.
    I bought mine, I think back in February.

Sun, rain, or snow, I'm not missing it.

Even if it pours, it's still better than sitting at home - or worse, working.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I'll be there Thursday afternoon on the peninsula... so stoked! It's been a while since I camped 3 straight nights, though, so this should be interesting. LOL

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017

I've had my tickets since January 1. Ready to ride hard and party hard. Campsite 9 on the peninsula. 29 hooligans at the team America campsite. First campsite on the left at the bottom of the big hill. We are bringing a whole hog and doing a pig roast Friday Stop on by for fun times.

Interplanetary Traveler

Looking good so far...

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017-weather.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017

I went ahead and ordered tickets for myself and my gf at this point it looks good enough

mtbr member
    Yeah it should be good, if anything there might be a passing T-Storm but thats no biggie, last year there was an all day rain and I said F it im riding, it did terrible things to my bike the next morning, makes me think maybe I will bring my hardtail to...lol

I live about 3 hours away and my dilemma now is do I drive out after work Thursday or just wake up early Friday.
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017

Yeah it should be good, if anything there might be a passing T-Storm but thats no biggie, last year there was an all day rain and I said F it im riding, it did terrible things to my bike the next morning, makes me think maybe I will bring my hardtail to...lol

I live about 3 hours away and my dilemma now is do I drive out after work Thursday or just wake up early Friday.
    Definitely drive out after work Thursday . I am skipping work Thursday and Friday and driving out Thursday morning. Efff it.

Last edited by coolhand80; 05-13-2017 at 02:39 AM.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Definitely drive out after work Friday. I am skipping work Thursday and Friday and driving out Thursday morning. Efff it.

Same.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Does anyone remember if they have water to refill Packs or Bottles there?
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Does anyone remember if they have water to refill Packs or Bottles there?
    Yes. Lots of water stations at the main check in area.

mtbr member
    Is it Thursday yet? On a serious note did anyone see that YT's full demo fleet got stolen, im wondering if this will effect them coming to DF....
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Not Thursday I know because I'm still stuck at work haha,

No didn't hear that but I can imagine it would change things for them

mtbr member
    Good news
    https://www.pinkbike.com/u/yt-USA/bl...mpaign=fb-like

BTW how many people from Pittsburgh area driving out?
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Good news
    https://www.pinkbike.com/u/yt-USA/bl...mpaign=fb-like

BTW how many people from Pittsburgh area driving out?
    ✋️I am

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Is it Thursday yet? On a serious note did anyone see that YT's full demo fleet got stolen, im wondering if this will effect them coming to DF....
    I saw the guys pull in today and asked about the theft, they said that happened in Europe so you are good to go with demos! Nice guys (Tom & Mark)!

mtbr member
    ✋️I am

Cool, im a little bummed im missing my pens on Friday, I plan on sitting around a campfire drinking beer and listening to them on iheart.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cool, im a little bummed im missing my pens on Friday, I plan on sitting around a campfire drinking beer and listening to them on iheart.
    There are far worse things to have to listen to than Mike Lange call a Pens game! Have fun at Dirt Fest and...

LET'S GO PENS!
    2013 Cannondale Trigger 29er

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Issue resolved favorably.
    Last edited by paleh0rse; 05-17-2017 at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017

mtbr member
    My group of 6 people was just screwed on camping assignments, so half of my buddies are backing out if the organizers don't fix it.

They mistakenly assigned us to share a tiny site with another team, when groups of 6 or more are supposed to get a dedicated site.

I've left voicemails at every number and written every email address...no response.

Not a great start. FML...
    This happened to us. Team America. In the earlier years of Dirt Fest. But we made good friends that now come every year and our group has grown to 30 people. Why are your buddies so upset?

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Issue resolved favorably.😊
    Last edited by paleh0rse; 05-17-2017 at 02:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Because it's the same exact GRAVEL spot we could barely fit 4 tents + 2 vehicles in last year. It was probably the worst site on the peninsula -- the slope and gravel were absolutely terrible.

Now, this year, they want us to squeeze 6 tents, 4 vehicles, AND another team in the exact spot, when their website clearly indicates that only groups of 5 or fewer people will share sites.

My teammates are rightfully livid.
    Sorry to hear that. I get it now.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Sorry to hear that. I get it now.

Evan (from DirtRag) fixed it for my team!!! All is well now. GAME ON!

Seriously, what a stand-up guy. I'm going to buy him a beer, or 10.

mtbr member
    Evan (from DirtRag) fixed it for my team!!! All is well now. GAME ON!

Seriously, what a stand-up guy. I'm going to buy him a beer, or 10.
    That's effing wonderful. He helped us secure campsite 9 as well

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Do the demos allow you to install your own clipless pedals? Do I need to bring flat-sole shoes?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Do the demos allow you to install your own clipless pedals? Do I need to bring flat-sole shoes?

Yep, they actually specifically say to bring your own pedals.

Personally, I always bring mine to demos, but they usually stay in my backpack. I ride SPD, and at every demo I've been to, the various bike companies all have pedals available if you ride one of the more common ones. I have always just told them I ride SPD, and they grab two from a big box and install them. I wouldn't rely on that though, as it is at least good etiquette to bring your own.

One thing to note is preference for release tension. Once at a demo last year, I was given pedals with the tension set so low that my feet were clicking out with only a very small bit of pressure. I prefer to ride with the release tension turned up pretty high, and so in that case I swapped to my own instead of cranking up the ones they gave me.

mtbr member
    Yep, they actually specifically say to bring your own pedals.

Personally, I always bring mine to demos, but they usually stay in my backpack. I ride SPD, and at every demo I've been to, the various bike companies all have pedals available if you ride one of the more common ones. I have always just told them I ride SPD, and they grab two from a big box and install them. I wouldn't rely on that though, as it is at least good etiquette to bring your own.

One thing to note is preference for release tension. Once at a demo last year, I was given pedals with the tension set so low that my feet were clicking out with only a very small bit of pressure. I prefer to ride with the release tension turned up pretty high, and so in that case I swapped to my own instead of cranking up the ones they gave me.
    Can I leave my bike at the place I demo a bike?

mtbr member
    Can I leave my bike at the place I demo a bike?
    Yes. They usually have some space to leave your bike. If you are concerned bring a lock. But I have always left my bikes with no problem

mtbr member
    Thanks, I was more worried I would need to leave it back at camp.
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Anyone know if any companies usually bring demo DH bikes, I know you can't really test them but I would like to see one before I would buy ones. No shops seem to stock them that I live near.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if any companies usually bring demo DH bikes, I know you can't really test them but I would like to see one before I would buy ones. No shops seem to stock them that I live near.
    If you go to the bike companies website and look at there demo fleet, you can see what they bring, I doubt any DH bikes will be there
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Ok thanks I didn't know you could do that

mtbr member
    I demo'd a santa cruz 5010, lots of fun...guy told me I could leave my bike behind his demo van but hes not responsable for it

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Well we're done for the weekend, someone ripped the brakes off one of the bikes jamming bikes onto the shuttle, they need to fix the shuttle with something simple like a line not a free for all

mtbr member
    Well we're done for the weekend, someone ripped the brakes off one of the bikes jamming bikes onto the shuttle, they need to fix the shuttle with something simple like a line not a free for all
    Agreed. I was thinking the same thing.

Something as simple as a line would prevent that sense of urgency that makes normally considerate people, careless.

There's nothing like watching some half-drunk meathead drop his steel framed fatbike onto your carbon frame.

That said, the trails were great this year. The weather was a little on the warm side (til this morning, anyway), but certainly better than last year's rain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Ya the whole shuttle has put a damper on the weekend now.

mtbr member
    I skipped the shuttle this year,I drove up from seven points in my truck, makes things alot more simple.
    Shame about your bike. Overall the event was a bit more organized than last year.

On a side note I dont know how those people can camp down in susq. I went down there friday night for the concert and it was a real zoo, not my kind of scene, thats all.

mtbr member
    I will definitely agree about the shuttles, definitely the worst part. Giant free-for-all, with people arriving in huge groups, jumping right ahead of people who had been there for 30 min+ already. Thursday and Friday it was halfway decent, but on Saturday they need at least double the number of shuttles available. Triple would be a little better. We ended up riding the road from the expo up to Bakers Hollow lot three times, and each time it was faster than waiting for that cluster f*** of a shuttle. I'm all for a good workout, but that's a bit ridiculous. That's a lot of hill to be riding when it's not even on the trail. I'd happily pay more for a ticket, or even pay per ride if there were more frequent and larger shuttles available.

Chilling out
    DC2, you ride up from 7Points or Susquehannock?

IIRC the "Sleek Dog" trail cross the road about half way down the hill to the Susquehannock CG ... it's not exactly a direct climb but it's better than the road IMO. Last time I was there (last summer) there was singetrack basically all the way from the visitors center in 7Points to the trail crossing on 7Points road with the small (3 car?) lot at the end of Stony Trail, would past the camping loops off the west side of 7Points Rd.

Still, no fun dealing with crud like that.

I hugely empthasize with the rider who had theirs brakes broken by careless loaders. That's just not excusable IMO.

mtbr member
    That was a fun weekend. I've been to Raystown a few times before but never for Dirt Fest. We had a blast. My wife, who doesn't ride, is already looking forward to coming back next year. Got to demo a few bikes on my wish list. And just great riding and camping with lots of good people.

I did roll up to a bad accident on Osprey at about 12:30 on Saturday. It must have happened right before I got there because riders were stopping everyone from proceeding down the trail any further while his friends took care of him. Just curious if anyone on here knows the guy or how he turned out? I think he may have been riding and Ibis Mojo. He seemed to have banged his head pretty good and was a little shaky on his feet afterwards. I'm hoping he's ok and it was nothing too serious. Having crashed badly myself (several times) I hate to see anyone go down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky351 View Post
    That was a fun weekend. I've been to Raystown a few times before but never for Dirt Fest. We had a blast. My wife, who doesn't ride, is already looking forward to coming back next year. Got to demo a few bikes on my wish list. And just great riding and camping with lots of good people.

I did roll up to a bad accident on Osprey at about 12:30 on Saturday. It must have happened right before I got there because riders were stopping everyone from proceeding down the trail any further while his friends took care of him. Just curious if anyone on here knows the guy or how he turned out? I think he may have been riding and Ibis Mojo. He seemed to have banged his head pretty good and was a little shaky on his feet afterwards. I'm hoping he's ok and it was nothing too serious. Having crashed badly myself (several times) I hate to see anyone go down.
    Hmm must of been why I heard the fire trucks, hope everything is ok.

I stayed in seven points in rcam lot and there was easily 7 empty lots for the whole weekend...its a shame they did not cancel a head of time to let others take those spots.

I had fun overall though, watched the movie "Klunkerz" sat night, the founder of dirt rag mag was there, real nice guy, its a shame only a dozen people came for the movie.

My legs are tired, got over 40 miles in three days...
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    A little vid I put together of the past few days...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=GXRTI5DJXII

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    A little vid I put together of the past few days...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=GXRTI5DJXII

Glad to see I am not the only to fall because of that damn root!

This was my 2nd year for Dirtfest and 3rd time overall. I absolutely hated the trails last year and the other time I went.

Something was different this time for me. Not sure if I figured out how to ride the trails better but I didn't feel like I was hitting a wall at ever roller I had to pedal on. I think I kept my momentum better this year and stayed in a higher gear. Ended up putting in almost 60 miles there in 3 days and the 3rd day I left feeling like I wanted more.

Vendors seemed to be pretty badass this year, more talkative, then again last year was a washout. Looking forward to Dirtfest West Virginia and next year at Raystown!

P.S. Can they do something about the knuckleheads hanging out on Osprey where Sidewinder meets. Maybe a re-route to connect Sidewinder to Osprey where the switchbacks are and people aren't going so fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    DC2, you ride up from 7Points or Susquehannock?

IIRC the "Sleek Dog" trail cross the road about half way down the hill to the Susquehannock CG ... it's not exactly a direct climb but it's better than the road IMO. Last time I was there (last summer) there was singetrack basically all the way from the visitors center in 7Points to the trail crossing on 7Points road with the small (3 car?) lot at the end of Stony Trail, would past the camping loops off the west side of 7Points Rd.

Still, no fun dealing with crud like that.

I hugely empthasize with the rider who had theirs brakes broken by careless loaders. That's just not excusable IMO.
    We had a cabin off-site at a campground. I meant that we had waited for the shuttle from the shuttle stop above the expo/Susquehannock all the way up to the top guard shack at the Baker's Hollow lot. We were waiting in line there for the shuttle for a long time, watching more and more people file in and jump in front of everyone who was waiting for 30+ minutes already. We decided to skip the mess and just ride to the top instead, and we weren't passed by a shuttle the entire time, meaning that the people were still waiting that whole time. The bus with trailer picked up about once per hour it seemed.

The only problem with riding that hill is that by the time we rode x miles up to the top, our legs were cooked. We did this multiple times to avoid the shuttle, which wasn't fun. I'm all about workouts to get better and stronger, but at an event like this I'd have rather used the shuttle to save the legs for trail riding. Another concern of course is traffic. It wasn't exactly like a highway, but with the few shuttle buses and vans, as well as cars and trucks going back and forth, there were a few times we had to hop off the bikes and get over in the weeds to let multiple cars pass. With the accident last year, and the obvious danger of riding near traffic anyway, I would have preferred to stay off the road entirely. Other than the shuttle or pedaling the huge hill all the way up, there's no other way to get to any of those upper trails.

That section of trail you mentioned is actually labeled Eagle, and it connects to Switch, then crosses the road again to head over toward Osprey. Sleek Dog cuts left at the end of Eagle, then makes a full loop to join up to Switch near the road. I did ride that a few times over the weekend, but if you want to go all the way up, you have to get back on the road anyway there near the start of Osprey and head left and pedal the whole distance up to the top.

All in all it was a hell of a good time. I really enjoyed the events and the trails for my first time at Dirt Fest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHOAA View Post

This was my 2nd year for Dirtfest and 3rd time overall. I absolutely hated the trails last year and the other time I went.

Something was different this time for me. Not sure if I figured out how to ride the trails better but I didn't feel like I was hitting a wall at ever roller I had to pedal on. I think I kept my momentum better this year and stayed in a higher gear. Ended up putting in almost 60 miles there in 3 days and the 3rd day I left feeling like I wanted more.

Vendors seemed to be pretty badass this year, more talkative, then again last year was a washout. Looking forward to Dirtfest West Virginia and next year at Raystown!

P.S. Can they do something about the knuckleheads hanging out on Osprey where Sidewinder meets. Maybe a re-route to connect Sidewinder to Osprey where the switchbacks are and people aren't going so fast.
    I figured out how to ride them better over the weekend. Eagle has no flow whatsoever in the direction it had to be ridden, and that was the worst part. By the third day I had at least figured out when I needed to hammer down and when I could pump and coast a bit, so it got better.

I got 42 miles in three days, which is a hell of a lot for me. I've been riding a lot of shorter tech stuff with roots and rocks, not raw mileage, so I wasn't used to it. I am disappointed that I didn't ride anything other than right near the expo - Buck, Doe, Fawn, Osprey, Hydro, Eagle. and Sleek Dog. I wanted to get over to Rays Revenge, as I heard it was an awesome trail, but with the repeated road climbs, I just couldn't go all the way up and down each time I wanted to try a different bike and get over to those more remote trails.

I agree about that spot on Osprey at Sidewinder. People were clueless that it joins up to a very fast trail. I was flying down Osprey, aired one of the last rollers before that intersection, and had to come to a both-wheels-skidding stop to avoid hitting some woman pedaling out from Sidewinder like she was on a towpath. She just rode right out in front of me, didn't even look when I yelled "Heads UP!!!" She spun around and gave me attitude and said "uh, well fine, I guess you can go around then!" I told her she's going to get hit and die, or send someone to the hospital if she kept riding without paying attention, and she just huffed like I was the crazy one. I saw other almost-accidents there also.

I know the event is ever-growing and evolving, but they could just make a few more changes like two or three times the shuttles running (with organized lines), and signage, and it would make a world of difference. a simple sign reading "LOOK RIGHT---> Do Not Block Trail, You're Entering A Very Fast Downhill Trail" at that Osprey intersection would save a lot of near misses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHOAA View Post

You ever ride Big Bear WV? its the total opposite of Raystown....Lots of rocks and roots and very technical sections, the plus is you wont need to ride up huge hills from the expo, if its anything like the Funduro last year.
    I just read about another huge MTB event in Black Bear WV over memorial day weekend.

I only demoed one bike and I dont party or drink beer so im going to pass on DF next year, instead me and my buddy are going to just rent a room in one of the local hotels one weekend and hit the trails, there is nothing like that around here. And make the trip over to Kellys restaurant where they have some great food.

It will also be funner not having to ride behind slower people, People need to learn to stand when going down those hills, its a easy way to get bucked off and get hurt.
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017

We had a cabin off-site at a campground. I meant that we had waited for the shuttle from the shuttle stop above the expo/Susquehannock all the way up to the top guard shack at the Baker's Hollow lot. We were waiting in line there for the shuttle for a long time, watching more and more people file in and jump in front of everyone who was waiting for 30+ minutes already. We decided to skip the mess and just ride to the top instead, and we weren't passed by a shuttle the entire time, meaning that the people were still waiting that whole time. The bus with trailer picked up about once per hour it seemed.

The only problem with riding that hill is that by the time we rode x miles up to the top, our legs were cooked. We did this multiple times to avoid the shuttle, which wasn't fun. I'm all about workouts to get better and stronger, but at an event like this I'd have rather used the shuttle to save the legs for trail riding. Another concern of course is traffic. It wasn't exactly like a highway, but with the few shuttle buses and vans, as well as cars and trucks going back and forth, there were a few times we had to hop off the bikes and get over in the weeds to let multiple cars pass. With the accident last year, and the obvious danger of riding near traffic anyway, I would have preferred to stay off the road entirely. Other than the shuttle or pedaling the huge hill all the way up, there's no other way to get to any of those upper trails.

That section of trail you mentioned is actually labeled Eagle, and it connects to Switch, then crosses the road again to head over toward Osprey. Sleek Dog cuts left at the end of Eagle, then makes a full loop to join up to Switch near the road. I did ride that a few times over the weekend, but if you want to go all the way up, you have to get back on the road anyway there near the start of Osprey and head left and pedal the whole distance up to the top.

All in all it was a hell of a good time. I really enjoyed the events and the trails for my first time at Dirt Fest.
    You can get to the top easily without riding the road. Eagle to Switch then cross the road at the top of Switch. As soon as you cross the road there is a Y. Stay left on Doe and it pretty much follows the road all the way to the top. Mostly flat trail as Switch gets you most of the way up the hill. Then you can make a right on Allie which is another awesome downhill and that gets you headed towards Rays Revenge. Pedaling up the hill to the shuttle, loading in the shuttle then getting back on the trails from the shuttle dismount is actually harder then taking the route I described.

mtbr member
    You can get to the top easily without riding the road. Eagle to Switch then cross the road at the top of Switch. As soon as you cross the road there is a Y. Stay left on Doe and it pretty much follows the road all the way to the top. Mostly flat trail as Switch gets you most of the way up the hill. Then you can make a right on Allie which is another awesome downhill and that gets you headed towards Rays Revenge. Pedaling up the hill to the shuttle, loading in the shuttle then getting back on the trails from the shuttle dismount is actually harder then taking the route I described.

Doe is certainly more pleasant of a ride than the road, but we rode it once and had tens of people pass us coming down toward Osprey. Every third rider or so made a comment about how we were riding it the wrong way. I got sick of hopping off the bike and walking into the weeds to let people pass. That's why we were riding up to the top on the road, in order to start the trail in the "correct" direction. I assumed everyone else was only getting up to the top by road riding or else shuttling, since apparently riding Doe that direction wasn't right.

mtbr member

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017

Doe is certainly more pleasant of a ride than the road, but we rode it once and had tens of people pass us coming down toward Osprey. Every third rider or so made a comment about how we were riding it the wrong way. I got sick of hopping off the bike and walking into the weeds to let people pass. That's why we were riding up to the top on the road, in order to start the trail in the "correct" direction. I assumed everyone else was only getting up to the top by road riding or else shuttling, since apparently riding Doe that direction wasn't right.
    Sounds like you were missing the first left on Doe and you made a left and went up Fawn which was directional down towards Osprey and Doe was directional up the hill towards the upper parking lot.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you were missing the first left on Doe and you made a left and went up Fawn which was directional down towards Osprey and Doe was directional up the hill towards the upper parking lot.

Nah, came down Buck > Fawn > Osprey > Eagle as my first run into the expo on Thursday so I know the route you mean. I know where they join, it would definitely be easy to make that mistake. On the way back up we kept left and went on Doe. I just checked my Strava from Thurs, that was definitely the way we rode. I don't know why people were saying Doe was directional toward Osprey only, but without riding any of the trails before, we figured everyone else had it right and we just made a n00b mistake.

I wish I would have paid more attention to where Allie joins in, I would have just ridden that way right off the bat. Now looking at Trailforks, it's obvious it would have been easy from where we were. Oh well, next year I guess!

mtbr member
    Nah, came down Buck > Fawn > Osprey > Eagle as my first run into the expo on Thursday so I know the route you mean. I know where they join, it would definitely be easy to make that mistake. On the way back up we kept left and went on Doe. I just checked my Strava from Thurs, that was definitely the way we rode. I don't know why people were saying Doe was directional toward Osprey only, but without riding any of the trails before, we figured everyone else had it right and we just made a n00b mistake.

I wish I would have paid more attention to where Allie joins in, I would have just ridden that way right off the bat. Now looking at Trailforks, it's obvious it would have been easy from where we were. Oh well, next year I guess!
    Allie leads you to Rays Revenge, which is an amazing section, I skipped Red Legs mostly because I figured it was all up hill.
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky351 View Post

That one wasn't me, but I did break my leg on Allie at around the same time on Friday. (On my Mojo3, in fact)

Total buzzkill, obviously.

My season is cooked -- with surgery and a whole lot of PT to look forward to. But hey, my bike survived unscathed, and I got a "free" chopper ride out of the deal?

It was a blast right up until that moment. I'll be back again next year, for sure! #YOLO

mtbr member
    That one wasn't me, but I did break my leg on Allie at around the same time on Friday. (On my Mojo3, in fact)

Total buzzkill, obviously.

My season is cooked -- with surgery and a whole lot of PT to look forward to. But hey, my bike survived unscathed, and I got a "free" chopper ride out of the deal?

It was a blast right up until that moment. I'll be back again next year, for sure! #YOLO
    Sorry to hear you got hurt buddy. Heal fast and you are correct sir. You only live once. It's fortunate your Mojo is still alive.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Apparently the hospital has a sense of humor, as well!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You ever ride Big Bear WV? its the total opposite of Raystown....Lots of rocks and roots and very technical sections, the plus is you wont need to ride up huge hills from the expo, if its anything like the Funduro last year.
    I just read about another huge MTB event in Black Bear WV over memorial day weekend.

I only demoed one bike and I dont party or drink beer so im going to pass on DF next year, instead me and my buddy are going to just rent a room in one of the local hotels one weekend and hit the trails, there is nothing like that around here. And make the trip over to Kellys restaurant where they have some great food.

It will also be funner not having to ride behind slower people, People need to learn to stand when going down those hills, its a easy way to get bucked off and get hurt.
    I love rocky tech so I'm excited. Raystown is nice but maybe like twice a year.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    I took a series of wrong turns looking for the expo & registration first time out Thursday. Rode the whole Allie, Rays, Hydro, Osprey, Eagle circuit. More riding & climbing than I've done yet this year - cooked my legs. Came back Friday & Saturday doing it all again (on demo bikes). My new motto: "When your legs are sore, ride some more!"

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest 2017

Here's a couple photos from Team America campsite 9 Pig Roast. It was epic. After an epic day of riding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast