Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dirt Fest 2014

mtbr member

Dirt Fest 2014

I saw this and thought I would share, how many people have gone before? I was thinking of checking it out this year. Maybe get a group together possibly camp over night, I dunno.

Raystown - DirtFest 2014, Allegrippis Trails at Raystown Lake

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I haven't gone before but I am totally going this year! I have a secluded house rented about 3 miles away, can't wait.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

psycho cyclo addict

Dirt Fest 2014

Loads of fun...riding, demos, camping, etc. I've gone to 3 in a row and signed up for this year as well. The Southern trails are my favorites (Stony Trail). Last year a few of us rode over at Rothrock on Saturday to mix it up a little and had a blast there too.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Never been before, but already signed up for this year. Should have a good sized group going and it sounds like a blast. For people that have been before...do the campsites get really backed up with cars coming/going? What is the best time to show up to avoid any traffic/backups?

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by j ball View Post
    Never been before, but already signed up for this year. Should have a good sized group going and it sounds like a blast. For people that have been before...do the campsites get really backed up with cars coming/going? What is the best time to show up to avoid any traffic/backups?
    Some depends on which campsite you end up with... they are allocated based on how many people are in your group. The campsite locations for groups are announced a couple weeks before the event.

We ended up with a waterfront spot last year and found it to be cramped and off camber as compared to the inland spot we'd had the 3 previous years. I didn't move my car once it was parked last year... not a lot of parking at that campsite.

I've driven my car to the showers over at the RV site (like ~5 mi away) in past years and managed to get a decent parking place when I returned to the campsite.

I try to arrive Friday afternoon to setup camp and go for a ride.

Cat Herder
    DirtFest is a great fest. A beer fest with a bike problem!

But really, a great party with great riding and vendors, really laid back atmosphere.
    It's never too late to re-invent the bicycle

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Went last year, signed up again this year.

Only thing I don't like is that they're saying no dogs this year. Had my dog there last year and he was no problem, along with any other dog I saw.

I have a feeling a lot of people will be bringing dogs anyway.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What do you need to sign up for?

psycho cyclo addict

Dirt Fest 2014

Quote Originally Posted by D Boogie C View Post
    What do you need to sign up for?
    Ahhhh, the activities maybe?

If you aren't camping there it costs $40 for 3 days of access to the vendors, expo, events, demos, skills clinics, beer, etc.

I'm sure Dirt Rag has eaten a lot of expenses for at least some of the past four years they've put it on. Even at $65 if you are camping there it is a heck of a deal...
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I went last year and had a blast, going again this year. You don't have to camp at the festival site there is camping at seven points campground 2ish miles away. They run a shuttle or you can ride a connecting trail to the event.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok, I didnt realize you had to pay haha. Where can you sign up?

mtbr member
    Bikereg.com

Went last year, had a blast and it's now on the yearly list of weekend trips.

mtbr member
    Are there any hotels close by?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Define "close"

You'd probably have a better chance finding a bed n breakfast.

Either way, you're probably looking at 30-60 minutes away.

Lodging options in the area: Lodging in The Raystown Lake Area
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I will be going, already reserved my campsites. I've never attended Dirt Fest before but have done a few Raystown weekends, should be fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Are there any hotels close by?
    Huntingdon Motor Inn is about 25-30 min away, in town. Otherwise the closer options are private house rentals.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    To the people who have attended this event, is it one of those get drunk and party all night type of events? If so I would rather go to Raystown when there is less people and I can enjoy the trails.

I was planning on taking my 14 y/o nephew

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    To the people who have attended this event, is it one of those get drunk and party all night type of events? If so I would rather go to Raystown when there is less people and I can enjoy the trails.

I was planning on taking my 14 y/o nephew
    If you just want to get out there to check out the trails, it would be way better to go when it's less crowded. In other words, to answer your question, yes, it gets rowdy.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I and a few friends have gotten a spot down in 7 Points campground, we'll be tooling over for silliness BUT this keeps us "old pharts" in a place where we will actually be able to get some sleep while the rowdies party hardy over at the venue.

There's singletrack connecting the two areas.

Or, of need be, coasting down the roads when you're too "gone" to ride singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    sml-2727:

I've been taking my son and one of his friends since they were 13. I'll never forget the second year we show up just as a houseboat full of mountain bikers is drifting by. About three guys are on the top deck mooning all the campers. It definitely gets rowdy, but I think you can manage it. You might smell some "odors" at the live music and you will definitely see some excessive drinking.

We were there to camp, ride, and enjoy the demo bikes. We were so tired from riding all day that we didn't stay up real late. I would rather have my son exposed to this stuff while he is with me. You can have a good time with a younger one, but I personally wouldn't go any younger than 13 - 14. I'm not ready to take my 10 year old daughter.

Hope this helps

What bruise?
    I havenít missed a DirtFest yet and Iím already registered this year. DirtFest is exactly what you make it.

1. The riding is generally excellent as most of the trails close to the campground are directional for the weekend. The only time they are ďcrowdedĒ is when you stop and actually see how many people are behind you. Every intersection is a gathering of likeminded exhausted grinning riders.

2. The EVENING festivities which are ďquestionableĒ for those under 21 are such a small part of the weekend I really canít understand why it is always the focus. Yes, there is beer, yes there is loud music, yes there are a lot of people having fun. Iím not completely knowledgeable of every activity but I believe there have only been a couple of people asked to calm down in several years and never to the level that the Rangers or Police were involved.

3. This is absolutely not an weekend drinking party. If that is your expectation you should stay home. There are organized rides, women only rides, kidís rides, a loosely run race to the bottom of the hill where the first riders got a houseboat ride back to camp and everyone else has to ride back (up hill). There are night rides where Light-in-motion provided everyone with lights (as long as you signed up in time), a skills park and a basic skills class, and demo bikes, lots and lots of demo bikes. If you are interested in a bike or a part or a tire where else can you give your name and number and take it for a test ride or ride a bike that is several thousand dollars outside of you price range?

4. You donít have to participate in the evening activities and most donít. A good number stay at camp resting/recovering for the next day, I choose to stay at Seven Points campground because they have hot showers, electricity and flush toilets. Last year the upper two campground loops were almost all DirtFest campers, lots of kids, dogs and non-riding spouses.

5. These photos are a better representation of what you will see. Photos | Dirt Rag Dirt Fest, presented by Niner Bikes

6. If you just want to see the trails this may not be the best weekend. If you are the least bit interested in meeting new people, mountain bike culture, having loosely organized fun with a lot of riders doing the same thing itís hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have gone the last two years and have not seen anything during the day that I wouldn't expose my kids to. I have not been there at night though. The vendors, demos, and the trail maps you get at check in along with clearly marked trails, make it a great way to experience the awesomeness of Alegrippis for the first time. I have been there a few times when there was no event, and the trails are fantastic, but I miss the shared enthusiasm.
    My main advice is to not rely on the shuttles. They are crowded and infrequent. They shuttle from the visitor center in a big school bus, then transfer to a short bus to get down to the expo area. We started walking after waiting too long, then got picked up by some samaritans who had a camping pass to drive in.

mtbr member
    Ok my main question is, If I show up on Sunday morning can I ride for the day and mingle with some riders and leave or do I have to pay to get on the trails. Or is the fee just for all the Demo's and stuff like that.

What bruise?
    The trails are always free to ride. Without a wristband you won't be allowed to enter the vendor area. If you should wander into the area inadvertently you can't demo anything.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast