Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dirt Fest 2014

8K views 77 replies 35 participants last post by  Iamrockandroll13 
#1 ·
#63 ·
Saturday the trails I rode were very muddy in spots. I rode the blue sections following the event signs. I wrecked on osprey my second time through. Guess I lost it over a roller and crashed. Vaguely remember going OTB and woke up in an ambulance on my way to a helicopter. Went to Altoona and got stitches above my left eye and a lot of scans. I'm fine besides a concussion, the stitches, and some trail rash.

Thanks to Evan for getting me my bike back. To the hospital staff and the emts for taking care of me. And who ever found me and helped in anyway. Had a blast otherwise and hope to be back again.

#64 · (Edited)
Saturday the trails I rode were very muddy in spots. I rode the blue sections following the event signs. I wrecked on osprey my second time through. Guess I lost it over a roller and crashed. Vaguely remember going OTB and woke up in an ambulance on my way to a helicopter. Went to Altoona and got stitches above my left eye and a lot of scans. I'm fine besides a concussion, the stitches, and some trail rash.

Thanks to Evan for getting me my bike back. To the hospital staff and the emts for taking care of me. And who ever found me and helped in anyway. Had a blast otherwise and hope to be back again.
Sounds like you had a good weekend:p kidding..heal up bud.
Those trails are fast and can reach out to ya if you're not ready.

#74 ·
Glad to hear you are okay... sending healing vibes.

I was dropping my wife off at the ladies skills clinic and it was obvious that something not good happened a bit higher up on Osprey :(

I rode every day of the event and hit the South trails (fasssst on Sunday) and slower paced w/ da wifey on Monday before we headed out in the afternoon.

#66 ·
I rode about 17 heinously muddy miles on Friday afternoon, then about 30 Saturday and went home Saturday night. Overall a good time. Now I know who the sirens were for!

I will say this- I haven't been to Raystown for about 3 years. In those 3 years I've advanced in skill considerably. Regarding the dips/rollers, the spacing on a lot of them seems kind of funny- if you time them properly you either are going relatively slow or you are flying at breakneck pace to clear them two at a time. The middle, where many (most?) people's skills are, that seems to be asking for trouble.

Saturday was funny- there were soooo many people who were hurting from their festivities the night before.

Only annoyance was Allie was two way on Saturday but people heading clockwise were misinterpreting a sign at the start of Allie, and my friend and I got heckled twice by people thinking we were wrong way, and almost got into a bad collision when we were heading on Allie counter-clockwise.

I would have liked to meet Kevin Menard but kept missing him!

#67 ·
Just got back from Dirt Fest. Holy Hell that was fun!! I ate more mud and dirt then ever cause i was smiling so much.

I Demo'd a 29er FS SRAM/SCOTT Spark collaboration bike and love it. Carbon, 1x11, XO, 100mm travel... felt like low 20# and an extension of my body. ha

Any body else want to share their DEMO experience?

#68 ·
Any body else want to share their DEMO experience?
I demo'd plenty of Sly Fox Beer over the weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed the Indian Pale ale.

Somehow found myself in the middle of a race to the lookout on Hydroloop which awarded me a spot on the prestigious pontoon boat cruz around Raystown lake with some cool blokes, some crazy ass in a pink tiger stripped Speedo and more beer.

Watched a badass clunker wheely contest, during which some random dude in spandex literally manualed the entire hill down into the event and through the contest and out the other end into the demo area. Had to be like 200 yards or more going 10-12mph.

Also, there may or may not have been a giraffe. Yeah, it was a good weekend.

#69 ·
Great event for sure. Once again I didnt bother to get the full use of my entrance fee. I didnt do any demos but I was able to see some products I have been interested in.

I only get out to those trails once or twice a year and I always leave thinking I should get back as soon as possible.

I was also encouraged by the number of women I saw this year. In the past I remember seeing the wives/girlfriends that get brought along, but this year I passed several groups that appeared to be on their own. Its really good to see it taking off with women.

#71 ·
Im glad you confirmed that you are OK energetik. We were at the top of Osprey when the ambulance came and everyone was concerned for your well being.

Once nice thing about dirtfest was that almost everyone was cool and laid back. The only exceptions being a bachelor party that ran their houseboat into ours as well as another boat and a group of roadies that must have borrowed some MTB's lol.

#72 ·
It was a good year. I didn't wreck.

Specialized left a sour taste in my mouth though. Saturday and Sunday I showed up early at their booth because they told me there were so many people wanting the E29, only to have them not open for another hour.

I won't buy a Enduro 29 until I can ride one and they certainly aren't make that very easy.

#73 ·
First timer here and can't wait till next year. Momma and I had a great time with some fantastic people. We demoed ibis, pivot and sram bikes and got all kinds of comments about our own 35 year old bikes and clothing. Now I gotta figure out how to mortgage the house to afford two these new mountain bikes. Kudos to all the volunteers and vendors. You people just rock ! You enthusiasm boiled over so we all got into the vibe.
Many Thanks.

#75 ·
Such a fun fest! I'm happy the rain was just Thursday into Friday. Just enough to keep some trails muddy all weekend so that riders all had the proper warpaint after a ride. Although, we had an ez-up that, by all means, should have exploded into 70 pieces under the weight of the rain water that had pooled up in the canopy overnight.

I got out for rides Saturday and Sunday, in between helping with the Wabi Sabi truck. It was a work and play weekend, which left me thoroughly exhausted by Sunday night, but the energy of the people and the good vibes all around simply propelled everybody through with a huge grin. A few beers helped, and there were certainly some good ones to be sipped.

I think there were more families and women this year, which is great for these events. A total dude weekend is not as sustainable. DirtFest has got to be one of the best east coast-ish biking events at this point. I missed out on all of the Jim Thorpe stuff, which has an air of legend to it, but DirtFest seems to have picked up the torch.

I love the vibe of DirtFest, here's to many more!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.