Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dirt Fest 2014

mtbr member
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    I havenít missed a DirtFest yet and Iím already registered this year. DirtFest is exactly what you make it.

1. The riding is generally excellent as most of the trails close to the campground are directional for the weekend. The only time they are ďcrowdedĒ is when you stop and actually see how many people are behind you. Every intersection is a gathering of likeminded exhausted grinning riders.

2. The EVENING festivities which are ďquestionableĒ for those under 21 are such a small part of the weekend I really canít understand why it is always the focus. Yes, there is beer, yes there is loud music, yes there are a lot of people having fun. Iím not completely knowledgeable of every activity but I believe there have only been a couple of people asked to calm down in several years and never to the level that the Rangers or Police were involved.

3. This is absolutely not an weekend drinking party. If that is your expectation you should stay home. There are organized rides, women only rides, kidís rides, a loosely run race to the bottom of the hill where the first riders got a houseboat ride back to camp and everyone else has to ride back (up hill). There are night rides where Light-in-motion provided everyone with lights (as long as you signed up in time), a skills park and a basic skills class, and demo bikes, lots and lots of demo bikes. If you are interested in a bike or a part or a tire where else can you give your name and number and take it for a test ride or ride a bike that is several thousand dollars outside of you price range?

4. You donít have to participate in the evening activities and most donít. A good number stay at camp resting/recovering for the next day, I choose to stay at Seven Points campground because they have hot showers, electricity and flush toilets. Last year the upper two campground loops were almost all DirtFest campers, lots of kids, dogs and non-riding spouses.

5. These photos are a better representation of what you will see. Photos | Dirt Rag Dirt Fest, presented by Niner Bikes

6. If you just want to see the trails this may not be the best weekend. If you are the least bit interested in meeting new people, mountain bike culture, having loosely organized fun with a lot of riders doing the same thing itís hard to beat.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Dirt Fest is rad. Anyone who comes should make it a point to thank some of the people working to make this event happen. Plenty of cool folks volunteer a lot of their time to make this whole thing happen so give them some love.

mtbr member
    Can't wait for the demos, I can already taste the dirt and bugs at the back of my throat!

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest, presented by Niner Bikes | May 16-18, 2014

i want spring!

Dirt Fest 2014

Hi. This is my first year going to the Dirt Fest and I was about to register for it and noticed that the camping on site is closed.

So has anyone camped off site and where? On the Dirt Fest site, it suggests, Seven Points Campground, is anyone staying here?

Any information would be helpful, thanks!

Jim
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    Seven Points is a short trail ride over to ground zero for Dirt fest. It also has amenities, like a shower. The camping at dirtfest is primative. I've done Seven Points a bunch of times. Its no problem. Can be a little bit of pain riding back after catching a load at the beer garden or watching the bands at night, but they also run a shuttle. Its a great time, don't miss it.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    They have already reached the max amount of registrations for on site camping. If you are there just for the biking, you probably won't want to be there anyways. It's going to be crowded. Like justriding said, there is the Seven Points campground, I'm considering getting a site at Senoia and welcoming fellow mountain biking strangers who want to help save on camping cost since there is enough room on one site for more than just me and my three friends. I can let you know more if interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Not going out for Dirtfest, but will be out later in the year. We stayed in the Ridge Camp at 7 Points Campground last year. It is nice, has hot showers, and mostly shaded sites. It's the closest campground to the trails, and it's a pretty easy ride to the trails. Any of the other camps are lower into the valley and closer to the lake, but it's a hell of a ride to the trails. We liked it enough that we have reserved sites in the Ridge Camp again this year.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Sounds like Drunkfest....

mtbr member
    Wow I didn't think about looking into this until now. Can you rent/demo bikes to ride the local trails?

psycho cyclo addict
    There are some who imbibe suds heavily though nighttime rowdiness is not too bad compared to some of the other events I've attended. I always wear ear plugs when I'm sleeping which helps immensely.

Lots of vendors with demos galore nowadays and in general, people are very cordial/friendly/etc.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Wow I didn't think about looking into this until now. Can you rent/demo bikes to ride the local trails?
    There are loads of bikes to demo on the trails. They just typically ask that you keep it to an hour or so to give others a chance. I have gone twice and never had to wait to get a bike to ride, unlike some other single brand demo events I have attended.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Can't wait, heading up Wednesday.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm heading up Thursday, had a blast last year and hope for more of the same this year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    We'll be heading in either Friday night or Saturday morning early.

So any suggestions on which type bike to bring? I've got a geared 140mm travel hardtail and a 100mm hardtail single speed...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Just registered and got a campsite at Raystown Family Campground. About 5 miles away but all the camp sites at 7 Points were booked.

We'll be heading in either Friday night or Saturday morning early.

So any suggestions on which type bike to bring? I've got a geared 140mm travel hardtail and a 100mm hardtail single speed...
    Which one has shorter chainstays? Honestly, you probably couldn't go wrong either way.

I've ridden both my 29er and my Pug out there before...and I'm taking the pug out for this weekend. It's so much fun on those trails. Probably gonna demo a Krampus, too.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Which one has shorter chainstays? Honestly, you probably couldn't go wrong either way.

I've ridden both my 29er and my Pug out there before...and I'm taking the pug out for this weekend. It's so much fun on those trails. Probably gonna demo a Krampus, too.
    Cool. Thanks.

Both have VERY short chainstays for a 29er. Single Speed is a Gen 2 Canfield Nimble 9 and the geared one is a YelliScreamy.

OH yeah, and I was just able to snag a site at Seven Points! PCAM loop

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Anyone have room in an open group camping site? I know Pheasant Hill only allows 1 tent per site, and obviously Susquehannock is closed.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Anyone have room in an open group camping site? I know Pheasant Hill only allows 1 tent per site, and obviously Susquehannock is closed.
    I have a site at Senoia. It's a 3 mile ride to the action or 1.5 mile boat ride if you need a place to throw a tent. Feel free to PM me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    anyone know when the last day to register is?

You can register up until Thursday then I think its just Pay At The Gate. You'll spend an extra $5 day of the event.

The trick is finding camping as most places fill up in the weeks ahead of the event.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    You can register up until Thursday then I think its just Pay At The Gate. You'll spend an extra $5 day of the event.

The trick is finding camping as most places fill up in the weeks ahead of the event.
    Ok awesome, that's what I thought. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Does anyone know how the Raystown trails hold up after some decent rain? The weather for this Friday isn't looking too good. Trying to decide if the trails will be ride-able on Sat/Sunday?

I don't want to make trip out there Friday if the DirtFest is just going to be a MudFest =)

It drains incredibly well but its clay shale closer to the lake so although it dries out quickly its pretty sticky until then. If tempt stay as warm as what they have been this week it'll be dry by Saturday.

Also depends on whether we get a quick hard shower versus sustained rain throughout the end of the week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Last I saw was sustained rain, totaling between 2 to 4 inches between Thursday and Friday.
    My buddies and I are debating whether it will be worth the drive out for one day of riding if Friday and early Saturday are a wash out.
    Here's hoping the forecast changes...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm keeping an eye on the weather as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast