Thread: Delaware riding

mtbr member

Delaware riding

I have that potential opportunity of relocating to Delaware, Frederica/Magnolia area which is approx. 20 minutes south of Dover. Anyone with knowledge of mountain biking in the Dover area. If my memory serves me correctly-great job/family opportunity, 30 min. to the beach but unsure of mountain biking potential. though not part of the mature decision making process , still in the back of the mind.
    "There is a road--no simple highway"

mtbr member
    I couldn't really tell you about any trailriding in Dover or south of Dover for that matter. I"m not saying there's nothing to ride but your options will probably be very limited. It's pretty flat around those parts or DE.

On the positive side though your only about an hour from lots of great places to ride such as White Clay/Middle Run, Fair Hill and Brandywine. About an hour fourtyfive gets you to Wissahickon in Philly which is another awesome place to ride. These places are all worth the hour ride and its a pretty straight shot by car anyway.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky351
    On the positive side though your only about an hour from lots of great places to ride such as White Clay/Middle Run, Fair Hill and Brandywine. About an hour fourtyfive gets you to Wissahickon in Philly which is another awesome place to ride. These places are all worth the hour ride and its a pretty straight shot by car anyway.
    I just rode Brandywine for the first time on Saturday. It kicks ass! Tight singletrack, wig-peeling climbs, plenty of logs and rocks, and a challenging riverside trail with gorgeous views. All in all, worth revisiting. Driving 1:45 minutes to the Wiss is, I agree, very justifiable. It's a fun day on the trail, and then you get to hang out in Philly post-ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Southern/Lower Delaware, called "slower" Delaware by those from the Wilmington area is the second flattest place in America behind the Salt Flats. I used to live in PA just across the DE border. Slower Delaware has the easiest centuries you could imagine - FLAT.

I used to ride White Clay, Iron Hill, Carpenter, Bellevue, and a few other places but they are not close to Dover - like an hour or more.

Having traveled and ridden quite a bit in Slower Delaware I would say it is a bad place for mountain biking and only OK for road - good fro Nascar and the beach, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant
    Southern/Lower Delaware, called "slower" Delaware by those from the Wilmington area is the second flattest place in America behind the Salt Flats. I used to live in PA just across the DE border. Slower Delaware has the easiest centuries you could imagine - FLAT.

I used to ride White Clay, Iron Hill, Carpenter, Bellevue, and a few other places but they are not close to Dover - like an hour or more.

Having traveled and ridden quite a bit in Slower Delaware I would say it is a bad place for mountain biking and only OK for road - good fro Nascar and the beach, though.

NASCAR is like watching the kids run around the grass circle in front of the house ( hell the kids might be more enjoyable). I know it's flat as hell. I take the bike out of the driveway and have mountains to the North, South, East, and West, so the climbing will definetly be missed, might be easier on the knees though. Not sure that the move is 100%, but probably better than 50%. Grew up here in the mountains, so going flat and close to the beach will be a big change.
    "There is a road--no simple highway"

mtbr member
    This is late, but Ive got this same problem. I live in dover and am at the beach quite often, so i "mountain bike" at both. Its flat, especially south. Theres a few small parks in dover ive rode for years, mainly jumps. Killen's pond is in between dover and the beach-wide trails, but the hiking trails can be fun. Other than that theres some single track at cape henlopen state park, but i think its all overgrown, i havent been there in awhile. You can take your family on all those trails, go up north for something challenging