Thread: deer lakes

mtbr member

deer lakes

I may be headed to western PA to ride with some friends.
    One of them has proposed going to Deer Lakes.

I have never ridden there...the reviews are several years old.
    Anyone out there that can give some feedback?

(I'd prefer some place that is a bit challenging technically...my friend, not so much. I voted for Hartwood.)

Disc Golfin Mountainbiker
    There's a GREAT new World Class Disc Golf Course there! Big Tourny there this Saturday. Watch out for flying discs if you're out there this weekend or any other. Some of the trail goes thru the course, but believe there are more trails in the park not near the course. Haven't been there to bike, but played the course many times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If your looking for technical, go to Roaring Run in Apollo, Moraine, or 7 Springs

If you like tight twisty singletrack try Boyce Park or Bavington St Gamelands

North Park has more miles of trails to ride than Hartwood Acres.

Hartwood Acres & South Park are cool to ride but have Horse issues to deal with.
    Last edited by DJP412; 09-24-2008 at 10:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Deer Lakes has a lot of fun trails. Not too technical, but lots of fun twisties through the woods. Some short, steep ups and downs, but no huge hills. If you put it all together you can get 15+ miles with little backtracking.

If you really want technical, I have to agree Roaring Run in Apollo is better. Laurel Mountain is the best.

Hartwood has some technical, but the park is 1/2 the size of Deer Lakes and gets a lot more traffic.

If you want the Deer Lakes tour, PM me when you want to ride, we'll see if we can make it work.

Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, Deer Lakes is not technical, but it will definitely give you a great workout on some nice single track. Easy to get lost, but all trails lead to a road eventually.

mtbr member

thanks -

thanks for the info.

How does it drain? With the forecast for some rain, will it be Ok (a little mud is fine) or does it turn into a swamp?

I hear it has been dry...hopefully that would sob up the moisture.

Thanks again for the input.

Life is Good
    Quote Originally Posted by jra146psu
    There's a GREAT new World Class Disc Golf Course there! Big Tourny there this Saturday. Watch out for flying discs if you're out there this weekend or any other. Some of the trail goes thru the course, but believe there are more trails in the park not near the course. Haven't been there to bike, but played the course many times.
    It is a really nice course. I just came back from a ride there and I played the first 9 (my favorite).
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain