ganginwood

death by nalgene?

co-worker:
    "is that a nalgene bottle?"

ganginwood"
    "yes, as a matter of fact it is."
    i was a bit surprised that a 60 year non athletic/outdoor enthusiast female knew what i was using for hydration.

co-worker:
    "my son is a chemical engineer and says that the plastic used to make those bottles can cause birth defects"

ganginwood:
    "i have not heard that one before, but the plastic is called lexan. it is a very strong compound, i'll look into it"

i went to the computer, did a google search for "lexan birth defects" and got this
    http://www.esc.mtu.edu/EarthWeek2006/nalgene_water.htm

this is the first i've ever heard of this. what's the scoop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Life is Good
    Wow... interesting.

I've been meaning to buy a Nalgene for the past few years and I never did.

I wonder how "official" this all is...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    if those are toxic what about those old gatorade bottles i re-use for months (not to mention my old water bottles)? what about the philly tap water i drink? waht about all that car pollution i breathe in everyday commuting to work by bike?

sometimes life is just better when you don't overthink it!

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    What about:

All the bashing on the MTBREVIEW Pa forum?

Your Computer is SPYING on you!

Your Dog is a SPY and your Cat is an "IMBA" member!

I'm Jerry Springer

Believe me?
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    OH ya I almost forgot!

Dr Phil says the Teflon Chain lube you use will make you Cat act funny!
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I actually had the opportunity to meet Dr. Hunt from Case Western while she was speaking on her study, which is the original study quoted by the author in the link. It was discovered by accident, when the lab mice all died and they traced it back to a reaction between the cleaning solution they used and the plastic boxes/cages the mice lived in. From what I remember, (this was 03 or 04) the question is how much of the bad stuff leaks off the plastic in "normal" conditions. The chemical causes cells to divide improperly.
    If you Google Patricia Hunt and Nalgene or Case Western and Nalgene, you'll find enough links to scare the crap out of you for a while.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    what about the philly tap water i drink?
    I thought that in Philly you had "woot-ah" that came out of the taps?
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    I thought that in Philly you had "woot-ah" that came out of the taps?
    it's wooder to all you non-philly typers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well knowing that if i use harsh detergents on my nalgene is might leak some BPA's doesn't really bother me. First off, they didn't say what the harsh cleaner was. For all we know they could have been cleaning the cages with straight up lye. Because we all clean our nalgene's with that, just to make sure we get all the pond scum out of them. Secondly, there was no mention of how much BPA was leaked under normal conditions. Maybe that is something they would want to do a study on. Thats what really gets me about these scientific studies that companies and universities preform. Only a handful are applicable to our daily lives. Most of the scare you to death articles that you read are about how 1 in 100 lab mice choked on a piece of doublemint gum caused by a compound found in 14% of the sticks of gum tested. Ergo, don't buy bubblemint. They are all just slippery slope arguements thrown into the media to scare us. Anyone with 1/2 a logical brain can figure out that there is a better change of getting struck by lightening than having a miscarraige caused by your nalgene.

Ipso facto, i'm still drinking out of my nalgene bottles. Only because i have some cool sticker on them i like to show off. I'll take my chance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

the labels on the bottom of the bottles

this is all rusty as I haven't thought about this in a while. but if i remember, old gatorade bottles, and all bottles labeled "pete" have been known to leach when reused. This was known even before the lexan info came out. Your bike bottles are polyethelene, labeled either hdpe or ldpe. Apparently, these don't leach harmful stuff. I switched to the old white hdpe Nalgene bottles when I first came across this info. I'm far from a scientist, and I know I take in all kinds of nasty stuff without knowing it, but I also try to stay away from it when I can.

Freshly Fujified

Now THIS I believe...

Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    What about:

I'm Jerry Springer

Believe me?
    It all makes sense now.....
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    so i guess it wasn't safe for me to grab my camelback and drink the water that i never changed since the previous fall?