trail addict

Dear Moon Lake Guys,

THANK YOU for the new map... the old map was very confusing and I rode today still using my old map.... went and checked at the office and found the new version (after my ride was over) and it all made so much more sense.

It is always a nice change of pace to get up there, but now I actually know where I am going!

Now I am curious (since I am not a local) are there any trails/loops that are much better in one direction than the other? I enjoy all the trails and all the variety, but I often feel as if I end up climbing on the worst sections (then again, maybe I am just a hack at climbing).

Thanks again.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    Now I am curious (since I am not a local) are there any trails/loops that are much better in one direction than the other?
    A few general rules of thumb come to mind:
    Always ride NFS as a downhill
    Always ride Screamer as a downhill
    Always ride T-Rex 2 as a downhill

Also some personal preferences:
    Edge is better starting at the bottom of skinny and ending at TRex 1
    Ledgeview is best starting at deacon
    I only ride 5858 uphill
    I generally only ride salamander from the (almost) end of 8 to the low point, then use the very primitive connector to 5858.

I personally think everything else is good in both directions. And no, I can't take any credit for the trail system,.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz
    A few general rules of thumb come to mind:
    Always ride NFS as a downhill
    Always ride Screamer as a downhill
    Always ride T-Rex 2 as a downhill
    OK, would that be "clockwise" on trex2 and screamer-starting on the east side of the park and working the way down to the southern (farm road, JKE) end?

I know which way is "down" on NFS- no mistaking that one.

I am thinking about riding up on the pavement from the end of NFS next time.... it is only like 200 ft vertical, but 5858 makes you really work to earn it. In fact, even riding "down" 5858 was a lot of work!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    Would that be "clockwise" on trex2 and screamer-starting on the east side of the park and working the way down to the southern (farm road, JKE) end?
    Yeah.
    That being said, it's also a good ride to start off CCW around the lake from the parking. (Starting with Thorny and then making things up as you go along.) Work your way to where either Slide or Buddy's hits asphalt. Then ride Mo-zee , but bail off and head down to the edge of Moon Lake. Ride a little double track to Deacon and then ride CW around the lake.
    Hopefully that makes sense, or see PM

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz
    Yeah.
    That being said, it's also a good ride to start off CCW around the lake from the parking. (Starting with Thorny and then making things up as you go along.) Work your way to where either Slide or Buddy's hits asphalt. Then ride Mo-zee , but bail off and head down to the edge of Moon Lake. Ride a little double track to Deacon and then ride CW around the lake.
    Hopefully that makes sense, or see PM
    awesome... looking forward to heading up again with my squishy bike instead of the hardtail.... I wish it wasn't like 45 min away!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm happy to see someone enjoying the map. I put a bunch of time into it to upgrade it from that old mess. http://www.chriffer.com/MoonLakeMap has a fancy color version that can be a bit easier to read.

One of my favorite ways to start a ride is to do Thorny, start 5 tree, and take the left uphill right after Moto (this is not labeled on the map now I notice, it's the other half of the Nightmare loop) and go up to big Blue. Ride it making rights until you can turn right onto Nightmare and then take Burts and Moto in their downhill directions. At the end of Moto you are right back on 5 Tree and can continue the same direction as you started. This gets most of the fun stuff done on that end of the park in its faster direction.

I did run into one guy who likes going down 5858 and up NFS. I only do that when I hate myself.

mtbr member
    That new map is great as are the signs at the trailheads. It really helps out.

I went down 5858 and up NFS once. Never again!!!!

I also liked the Deacon trail starting at the bottom and finishing up in the trials section. I never hear anyone talk about that trail but it's really fun.

Gravity's Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner44
    That new map is great as are the signs at the trailheads. It really helps out.

I went down 5858 and up NFS once. Never again!!!!

I also liked the Deacon trail starting at the bottom and finishing up in the trials section. I never hear anyone talk about that trail but it's really fun.

That is a great trail.

mtbr member
    The new map looks great, thanks.