mtbr member
    Apr 2004

dealin with the heat at fairhill this weekend

hey everyone!

anyone headed to the fairhill race this weekend?

any idea to keep yourself from dieing while giving 110% in the heat/humidity?

so far my only trick is to consume lots of fuids and take an endurolyte pill the night before and the morning of the race. then just hope i can keep from redlining so hard that i take myself out of the game...

definitely bringing a nearly full camelback as having too much water will suck way less than not having enough.

i hope to get there early so if you want to talk smack look for a bearded guy on the giant yellow rigid singlspeed 29er.

mtbr member
    Can't we talk smack here? I'm signing up for one of wooglin's "Max is my *****" shirts.

Good luck at the race dude. We need to get out for a ride soon. You should skip camping in the trash barrens and come to thorpe with BH and I. Bring (I can't for the life of me figure out how to spell Mehgan correctly, is that it?)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    meghan don't like rocky trails.... plus i gotta go camp with my friends. i get to see some of those chuckleheads even less than you and BH.

but we will ride soon! in august my schedule actually looks pretty damn empty!

mtbr member
    August it is!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This will be my first race. I'm thinking Ill fill the camelback, and try to stay really hydrated over the next few days.

In light of the heat, and this being my first race, I'm gonna do the beginner 16 mile loop.

Also, I'll wait till afterwards to talk trash. I've gotta make it through A race first.

mtbr member
    At a couple points the course goes right by the creek. Do a quick dismount like you're a cool cyclocross guy and dunk the whole camelbak into the creek. Throw it back on. Scoop a handful of cool H2O onto your neck and another into the helmet. Back on the bike for a quick remount and for a 20 sec stop you've dropped your body temp for the next 5 min at least...

Or, just ride slow -- works for me.... Never done this race, but trying it on the singlespeed...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Anybody know what the trail conditions are?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    was out for a road ride between 9 and 10 this morning and it was hawt. not looking forward to tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow
    This will be my first race. I'm thinking Ill fill the camelback, and try to stay really hydrated over the next few days.

In light of the heat, and this being my first race, I'm gonna do the beginner 16 mile loop.

Also, I'll wait till afterwards to talk trash. I've gotta make it through A race first.
    Don't do it. Consuming large quantities of water for several days before a hot ride will just deplete your electrolytes and you'll be worse off than if you had not pre-hydrated at all. Hydrating should begin no more than 24hrs before the race and also (particularly for hot races) alternate with some electrolyte replacing drinks (like gatorade) the day of the race (and possibly the night before if you have an early start time).