Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Day riding!!

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    247

    Day riding!!

    I just got laid off on new years eve and am looking to ride during the day! I mainly ride Antietam/ Mt. Penn trails. I am close to French Creek also! If there is anyone out there who is looking to ride let me know!! I would be ready to ride around 9:00 to 9:15 AM. Probably 1 to 2 times per week! I am a slow to average rider! I dont race!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    168
    I am sorry to hear about your layoff pal. I was actually off last Friday and wish I knew because I was ready to hit the trail. I do not like to ride alone just because of the "possibility" of a major faceplant, lol, so I did not ride.
    I'll let you know if I can get out and I hope you get back to work soon.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    125
    I rode Blue Marsh the past two Saturdays and had a blast in the snow.I agree with Lugi after having plates and pins put in my right wrist due to a bad crash up in Williamsport.We should hook up for a ride sometime.

  4. #4
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkerkonadawgdeluxepaul
    I just got laid off on new years eve and am looking to ride during the day! I mainly ride Antietam/ Mt. Penn trails. I am close to French Creek also! If there is anyone out there who is looking to ride let me know!! I would be ready to ride around 9:00 to 9:15 AM. Probably 1 to 2 times per week! I am a slow to average rider! I dont race!

    What county do you live in?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    247
    Blksocks I live in Berks county! 73cuda, have you been to either Mt. Penn/Antietam or french creek? I rode today by myself and was OK but, I know that there is always room for error! I didn't however put my shoe covers on my feet and paid dearly for it! My feet hurt towards the end of my ride and when I got home, the thawing process was very painful! Lesson learned!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reformed roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,405
    Paul - sorry to hear about the layoff. I have 'officially' been out of work for some time.

    Invest in some winter mtb shoes...Santa brought me some Specialized Defrosters. Major improvement over shoes/shoecover set-up.

    I am still looking to get more time up at Mt.Penn, but it will have to be a weekend

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    82
    Mtnbker,

    I'm sorry to hear about your current situation. How far are you from the Jim Thorpe area? Or even Hamburg?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    247
    I do have the covers and I am fine with those for now! In the future I think i will invest in the winter shoes! Just gotta wait until I get back to work! Apaulo, I am about 25 mins from Hamburg! Is there riding near there?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    82
    Yeah, that's about the same for me. I've never personally ridden there, but I've heard talk about the Pinnacle (behind the resevoir). I don't even really know how to get there, but when I saw that you were from berks, I thought you might be familiar with the area?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    247
    I actually have ridden to the pinnacle once, about two years ago! It was a 4 mile, 1 hour, climb to the top and a 13 min decent! Great view from up there! I don't even know where we parked to get up there! I haven't been to JT in about the same amount of time! We went one weekend to the JT campground and found the American Standard trail and rode about 13 miles till we got lost and wound up doing 24 miles till we got back to the car! That was my first yr riding and I was dead after that ride! Awesome trail though!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkerkonadawgdeluxepaul
    Blksocks I live in Berks county! 73cuda, have you been to either Mt. Penn/Antietam or french creek? I rode today by myself and was OK but, I know that there is always room for error! I didn't however put my shoe covers on my feet and paid dearly for it! My feet hurt towards the end of my ride and when I got home, the thawing process was very painful! Lesson learned!
    Nope, figured there would be too many ice covered rocks for my liking at one of those places.You said you rode ? where ?, was it one of the three you mentioned ? If you have room in your shoes try some "toasty toes"(you know.. the packets that make heat when exposed to air) ,they work for me. Later

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by 73cuda
    Nope, figured there would be too many ice covered rocks for my liking at one of those places.You said you rode ? where ?, was it one of the three you mentioned ? If you have room in your shoes try some "toasty toes"(you know.. the packets that make heat when exposed to air) ,they work for me. Later
    Yes I rode at Antietam/Mt Penn Tuesday. They are one in the same place! Some people call it Mt Penn and some people call it Antietam! I am riding sometime around 1130 1200 tomorrow(Thurs) if u are interested! I am riding with 1 other guy! The trails here on Tues were pretty good! No very slick spots. The exposed rocks are not icy at all! We'll see how the trails are at that time tomorrow since it will be warmer, it might be a little messier!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •