Thread: D&H rail trail

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006

New question here. D&H rail trail

I was looking through my schedule I will have free time coming up and just wondered if anyone rides or has info on the D&H rail trail in Carbondale? I imagine right now it isn't ridabe and it will be a while before I get there which works out great, by then the weather will be better. Where is the best place to park-start? Is there a loop I can do including the O&W or roads? I plan to do it in sections going out and back. Then park where I stopped if possible, and do another out and back. I have looked at the map and I'm not looking for someone to hold my hand just a bit of info from riders who have a feel for this trail.

TIA
    Zap

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Zap:

Excellent on two counts, One the D&H and, Two your getting to ride this great railtrail.

Start at Simpson trailhead at the upper end of Carbondale. You can do loops using the D&H/O&W from a few miles, actually they run within a few feet of each other, only to be seperated by the river, You can do much longer rides, as you go out further, but the O&W peels away from the D&H. You can use paved roads to connect the two forming greater loops. This will work to about Burnwood as the the O&W swings away towards the east. On the D&H the Ararat to Thompson is a longer section. There are lots of back roads to connect, but remember Ararat Mountain is a big one. If you have the time do a little homework and prerun in the auto looking for your start/stop or cross points.

ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    http://www.nepa-rail-trails.org/dandh.html I ride the D&H & The O&W when ever I'm in Pa.I'm in the Orson-Poyntelle area and the O&W runs right by my backdoor,a good epic ride down to Simpson or i'll do a more challenging ride into Hancock N.Y.

wounded knee
    I did the D & H last year, I started at the trail head hidden on the right just as you enter the entrance for the Industrial park, from there you can ride 9 miles out the last few will be a little ruff.

[SIZE="5"]Here's a link to a video I made from the ride, it'll give you a idea of the trail.[/SIZE]

Riding the D&H Rail to Trail
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock