mtbr member

Current French Creek and Michaux Conditions and weather forecast??????

Thinking of heading a little farther south (from NEPA) this weekend for some riding. Considering either French Creek or Michaux. We, in the Northeast, are geting hit with a storm today (2/12)....any input on weather and trail conditions would be a great help!

Suggestions on best trails to hit will be greatly appreciated, as well as info on where to get trail maps.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    chances are French will be a little on the muddy side, but that's pretty normal for this time of year. here's a loop I did a couple weeks ago

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4894981
    Lance who?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm about 30 miles north and we got 4" of fresh snow so far. Looking at the forcast, I would think there will still be snow/ice for the weekend.

You may have to go farther south...

Maps can be gotten at the office, not sure of hours though.
    There is a large sign post with a large map at Shed Rd.
    All the trails are cool, some are closed to bikes though.

Let me know when you want to come down, I'd be more than happy to show you around.

Thinking of a spring Lackawana trip again, maybe we can coordinate better so we can hook up. I'd like to see the new trails.

Mike
    Mike

mtbr member
    We had about 4" of snow followed by freezing rain and now rain near Michaux. In general, the trails drain pretty well, but there'll still be a lot of snow, slick roots, and muddy spots.

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalker
    I'm about 30 miles north and we got 4" of fresh snow so far. Looking at the forcast, I would think there will still be snow/ice for the weekend.

You may have to go farther south...

Maps can be gotten at the office, not sure of hours though.
    There is a large sign post with a large map at Shed Rd.
    All the trails are cool, some are closed to bikes though.

Let me know when you want to come down, I'd be more than happy to show you around.

Thinking of a spring Lackawana trip again, maybe we can coordinate better so we can hook up. I'd like to see the new trails.

Mike
    Thanks Mike. We have decided to ride or hike or snowshoe French Creek this weekend. Let us know your plans for Lackawanna this year. Keep in mind the Thursday night arrival to ride Hubbard if at all possible. We already registered for the BASH this year, are you gonna ride or work this year?
    Scott

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAMA
    We have decided to ride or hike or snowshoe French Creek this weekend.
    Scott
    We had about 2" of ice and snow last night and it's been followed by pretty consistent and heavy rain for the past 10-12 hours. Will likely continue to rain for at least a few more hours.

French Creek drains pretty well, but it will likely be pretty sloppy through the lower-lying areas and on all but the steepest of trails. It was pretty muddy last weekend as the temps got into the mid-30s, so with the additional rain this week and the temps forecasted this weekend, be prepared to clean your bike.

Maps are available online here:
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...reek_maps.aspx

Now broadcasting from CO
    I'd imagine that Michaux would be pretty sweet by this weekend. I rode from Big Flat last sunday and it was snow covered and beautiful! The snow made Abigail's sketchy and fun!!!
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Talked with my in-laws this am who live about 10 miles from French Creek, said all the snow/ice is gone at their house. So expect a little up in the hills of French Creek, but should be ridable. Everything is still pack full of ice/snow here, so I'll be heading down to French Creek this morning.

Maybe I'll see ya there Scott.

Mike
    Mike

mtbr member
    Got a chance to ride French Creek on Saturday. Besides having mechanical problems, the ride was very good. Some mud and ice but overall not bad. It was our first time at FC and we rode without a map.

We finished the night off with a nice dinner at Black Angus Steak House in Adamstown.
    Attached Images Attached Images