Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. Cross training with Motos?

All:

Since MTBs are close relatives to Motos and share a lot of the same technology. Does anyone use Motos to better their MTB skills? How do you feel it helps?

With the weight and speed of a Moto it can basically teach you greater tech skills. Moto riders have to make decisions quicker due to the increased speed. So people say ya well you just sit back and hit the throttle! Well... really your trying to control a missle, and many muscles take part in this endeavor.

On an MX track fun, fun, fun, open area with runouts or at most a snow fence to run into, but take that 60HP beast in the woods and look out trees don't move! Of course, Yes, having an engine does not compete with pedaling and all the skills necessary to move your body up and over rocks and logs. On a Moto you can gain much more speed through sections of trail and in my opinion it helps with mt biking skills. It would be more of a benefit to Downhill and Free Ride due to the similar techniques and increased suspension travel.

Similar, but different is Moto Trials! a low speed motorcycle where the object is to ride over natural and man made obstacles. For world-class riders, the obstacles can get to be pretty sizeable, The sport is very challenging to do, and is fun to watch. Trials riders are sometimes referred to as the gymnasts of motorcycling or "the Magicians of the motorcycle world". The bikes are light and agile - the emphasis is on technique and more like mt biking since they weigh less than MX Motos and you don't rely on sheer HP to over come an obstacle. Moto Trials is more about traction and close right up to, launches with no run at the rocks or logs Really an artistic balance and skill show! Great for cross training for MTBs

Discussion?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross training with Motos?-floatlg.jpeg  

Cross training with Motos?-05-21-09-endurocross-bridge.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Did you ever have ham?

Cross Training

I was told that riding the mountain bike would help with riding the moto. When I finally got back on a dirt bike I could not believe how much my technical skills had improved!
    I also notice the opposite being true. Riding my dirt bike develops skills and strength that carry over into mountain biking.
    In my opinion, mountain biking and dirt biking, in any form, go hand in hand. You learn different skills with each discipline and they can all be used to improve your performance in the other.

Twisting the throttle or torguing the pedals....it's all good!
    Now, just shut up and ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross training with Motos?-turn_resize1.jpg  

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Did you ever have ham?

Cross Training

Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    Ahhhh, how cute!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Moto:

Here's another believer and past national champion!:

http://www.team-shoair.com/rider.asp?r=20

Did you ever have ham?
    Go O-Show!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes they definitely go hand and hand.For me as having done lots of both for many years nothing can compare to moto.Especially HS and enduros.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I didn't realize this thread had to include baby pictures.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Much better...

...Moto Kid now! He's even got the "THROTTLE" hand in action!

Brrrraaapppp!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross training with Motos?-baby-braappp.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Think that little maniac needs a motorcycle.Funny thing is I was riding a motorcycle before i even rode a bicycle.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer
    Yes they definitely go hand and hand.For me as having done lots of both for many years nothing can compare to moto.Especially HS and enduros.
    Remember Ramapo?...

.. Especially for getting a big run at water filled ditches! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I had a pic or vid of that day!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes thatwas a classic!

Did you ever have ham?

... and if we just ... Cross Training

Want to be able to hang with Johnny "O Show" O'Mara in the NORBA series. Take a tip from Huckin' Moto Kitty and do some cross training with a moto!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Moto,those pics are bringing tears to my eyes.The kitty was KING!

Did you ever have ham?
    Those are actual photos from Lake Sugartree, they have not been retouched in any way!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    Those are actual photos from Lake Sugartree, they have not been retouched in any way!
    i konow!That is what makes it so great!

Did you ever have ham?

Cross Training

Huckin' Kitty really believes in Cross Training!!!

Rock On, Huckin' Kitty!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross training with Motos?-quadzilla2.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    He's so good ho doesn't need any protective gear.

Did you ever have ham?

Cross Training

NO PROTECTIVE GEAR....BAD KITTY, BAD KITTY!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    At least he showers after a ride!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hoping to get out and do a little moto in the woods this Sunday.Anyone up for it?

Did you ever have ham?

Cross training with Motos

Judging from the amount of negativity over this thread, apparently riding motos does not classify as training? After all, you just sit on the bike and twist your right wrist, right? I should not have to defend the validity of riding moto to those who are unable to ride for whatever reason! I am sure if this thread were about doing squats, deadlifts, or planks there wouldn't be a backlash like there is. To everyone that is up in arms over this post, I say swing a leg over a moto and go out and ride aggresively and then post back with your experience!
    Last edited by motoman465; 11-24-2009 at 12:10 AM.
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    I'd say that you should find a motocross site and post this bs there.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    Judging from the amount of negativity over this thread, apparently riding motos does not classify as training? After all, you just sit on the bike and twist your right wrist, right? I should not have to defend the validity of riding moto to those who are unable to ride for whatever reason! I am sure if this thread were about doing squats, deadlifts, or planks there wouldn't be a backlash like there is. To everyone that is up in arms over this post, I say swing a leg over a moto and go out and ride aggresively and then post back with your experience!
    It's really funny how people judge and pick sides. How many times have you heard on MTBR guys posting rides with "road" bikes? Is that wrong? Heck no, Riding is riding! How about talk of cars that carry MTBs on? Guys will brag it up about the bling bling and show up at the trail head with a fancy rig, GREAT! Nice shiny stuff is always fun to look at and talk about.

The crossover from moto to MTB in parts development. Funny they don't cry about their Fox forks that came from motorcycle technology.

Have you heard from Shaffer? I hope we can pull off the MTB race at Twin Creeks MX halftime, cause lot's of guys who Moto bring their MTBs and use them to train on as well as love to ride them! We should hook up with Shaffer soon. I was amazed to hear he used to go to Jim Thorpe MTB weekend back in the day.

banned
    Then why don't "all those guys who moto and love to mountain bike" join in on your discussions? 3 people in this thread, three people in that thread, always the same three people.......Kind of weird don't you think?
    No one is saying don't do it. Just make a phone call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast