mtbr member

A cross-country cross-country tour?

That's no type-o...I read a great article in DirtRag Magazine last year that has wildly inspired me; I forget the name of the article, but it was a roadtrip across the Southern U.S., primarily...

I'm daydreaming up a three-week cross-country summertime roadtrip from Seattle, WA to Central PA. My hopes are to get in at least three good rides per week, preferring trails that are at least 8 mi. long, but not more than 15 mi., ranging from beginner to intermediate skill-level, without deviating more than an hour or three from the interstates (mostly I-90, I-94 and I-80). My wife and daughter are in on the trip too; we plan to pack our tent and camp most nights, as long as we can find campgrounds with showers. We're all stoked on scenic trails, but fast flowy singletrack is the primary focus; we don't want to be riding miles and miles of fireroads. I've got a feeling this trip will require tons of research, so I'm posting on forums for each state we would be passing through, trying to enlist a little local advice...local bike shops, clubs and folks who know each area, who I could contact for the best trails, local riders to link up with, shower-equipped campground recommendations, etc.

Also, if anyone thinks this is entirely impossible (riding for three hours, three times per week, and still make the drive to PA in three weeks) please bust my bubble now!!! Quick math: Mapquest says the trip is approx. 40 hr.s of driving. So 40 hr.s of driving divided by three weeks (21 days) is only about 2 hr.s of driving per day....We could ride and camp at leisure, right? Right?!?

Large towns/cities along the way, as reference:

WA- Spokane; ID- Coeur D' Alene; MT- Butte, Bozeman, Billings; ND- Bismarck; MN- Moorhead, St. Cloud, St. Paul; WI- Eau Claire, Madison; IL- Rockford, Aurora, Chicago; IN- Goshen, Ft. Wayne; MI- Ann Arbor; OH- Cleveland, Akron; PA- Pittsburgh, State College, Williamsport, Jim Thorpe
    [SIZE="4"]brrrrrrr!!![/SIZE]

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    I see that your end point in Jim Thorpe. There is an abundance of riding in and around the Jim Thorpe area. When you look at a map you will notice that I-81 intersects with I-80 just north of Jim Thorpe. There is a plethora of riding along the I-81 corridor . Take a look at the "2008 NEPMTBA" sticky in this forum for a list of trails in the area.

mtbr member

Pittsburgh and State College

Also have a ton of riding(Tom Like the use of Plethora). In fact you could spend a few weeks exploring PA alone! Have Fun!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Guys:

Look at the stops on the end of the trip. You could ride for weeks in any of the last 4!

I wanna go, I wanna go, Oh wait I live near there!

RiP (Riding is Pleasure)

mtbr member
    I'm considering limiting the rides to one or two in the other states, and focus on getting to PA to really explore. I actually grew up in PA, and started mtn riding there. Back then though, I rode abandoned fireroads and such; it was before I really discovered what buff singletrack was...now I want to get back there to see what the singletrack trails are like. I've heard lots about the Jim Thorpe trails, so I'm definitely going to try to hit a few there.

mtbr member

Update...

...I've decided I'm going to have to put this trip off for a while. It sucks, and it really bums me out, but the Army has other plans for my first summer back from 14 mo.s in Iraq...nobody to blame but myself; I signed the contract...

Thanks to all who replied to the post, and I'd love more replies still--the dream's not dead, just postponed...

Thanks again!
    Wil

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Keep the dream alive

Your picture on your post tells the whole story......

Sincerely, thanks for doing your share.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Yes!

The trails will be there for you when your ready!

Thanks and Please Be Safe...We support you 110%

Let us know when you update. I would really love to folow your dream as I'm sure many others would also!