Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    544

    Crazy dog lady at Wiss

    I road the wiss last night and had a bad dog experience. Let me first say that I love dogs and have never been scared of them. Also, I don't worry too much about the leash laws as long as the dogs have self control. Last night, aside from the rest of the ride being great, was the worst experience I've had at the wiss. I was approaching a left turn to a downhill where there is a black iron gate with a fence bordering a road. I don't know geographically where this is. Anyway, a lady with 2 giant black german shepards had just come through the gate. I was going to ask to go down the hill first when both dogs, unleashed, approached me barking their heads off. She shouted to me that they were muzzled. And, indeed, both beheamoths had black, metal muzzles, which actually made them scarier. She started down the hill while I was trying to figure out what to do. The one actually tried to bite me but the muzzle got in it's way. Still, scary. So she decends the hill and I sat on my bike watching her go down knowing that if I decended the dogs would get pissed. I was hoping she would go straight and not turn to the right as I do. Another guy had also parked his car by this gate and I asked if she was with him and he said no. We agreed that this was weird. He said the dogs barked at him and that she had left the back door of her car open. After a while I started decending and, OH BOY, she hadn't gotten to the split yet and the dogs started in again. I got off the bike to use it as a shield and for the first time in my time at the wiss and maybe even riding ever, I yelled at her. I told her to control her f***ing dogs or I would report her. She said "please do". I also yelled that they were 300lb dogs which was a stretch but they were probably 125-150 each.

    Now, I don't like causing trouble but these dogs will be doing this to other people. I don't know who to contact or what good it will do but I thought I'd ask here. Friends of the Wiss? Aren't there rangers of some sort? Anyone else ever see this woman and her dogs? Thanks.

    ps.
    I really wish people would stop riding northbound on the whoop section just north of Valley Green. I love to lay the hammer down there.

  2. #2
    Road Bike Review Member
    Reputation: ridenfish39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    147
    I have had several run-ins with this extremely ignorant woman. Only recently did she put muzzles on those viscious dogs. I actually put my bike between myself and the dogs once, and she ignored me while I screamed and yelled at her. I have been bitten twice riding there, and I have 4 holes in my left arm to prove it. The owner of the dog that bit my foot told me that it wouldn't have happened if I wasn't riding there. (The dog was unleashed) I almost knocked him out, but his wife saved him. Most dog owners are responsible, but, like anyone, there are the few bad apples.
    Air Nine One Nine, and a few Cannondale....rip Salsa
    ...work is something I'm forced to do between riding and fishing

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2000cx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    151
    Luckily I have only seen this woman from a distance, and have not actually come toe to toe with the Shepherds. But coming from a dog lover/owner (Actually have a white Shepherd) I would have no problem defending myself against dogs like this to whatever extent was necessary. I cannot understand how these people rationalize walking their dogs off leash in a very heavily traveled public park like the Wiss.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

    He who dies with the most toys wins...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stymie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    249
    Wow, I think this is the same woman/dog trio that almost bit me last summer.

    This occured on the Indian side. She was sitting on a small wooden bridge, and her dogs were playing in the creek. I said hello as I approached her. As soon as I rode over the bridge, the dogs began barking and ran up to me. She was calling them to heel, but not doing much else but sit on her fat arse. Thanks a lot, lady...

    rying to keep calm, I kept pedaling smoothly, not wanting to agitate the dogs any further. One of the dogs did pull back thankfully, but the other continued to hound me. It's nose was pretty much pressed against my left calf as I was pedaling, and it continued to bark and carry on for several more meters.

    To be honest, I was surprised it didn't try to take a bite. Perhaps because I didn't yell and kept cruising along? After a few more meters, the dog eventually pulled back. When I was satisfied the dog was a safe distance away, I yelled back to her to leash her dogs. I don't think she responded.

    Good to hear the dogs are finally muzzled. I wonder what precipitated that?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    492
    At least in the Wiss, there's plenty of rocks to pick up and throw.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    544
    Just spoke to someone at Friends of the Wiss about her. Who knows?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinsj
    At least in the Wiss, there's plenty of rocks to pick up and throw.
    F those rocks dude. I might miss. Mace is coming on my next ride.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    492
    Sounds like this woman needs to be maced with her dogs.
    Last edited by jdinsj; 05-07-2008 at 12:49 PM.

  9. #9
    Road Bike Review Member
    Reputation: ridenfish39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinsj
    At least in the Wiss, there's plenty of rocks to pick up and throw.
    I came really close to using one of those rocks to defend myself against those dogs.
    Air Nine One Nine, and a few Cannondale....rip Salsa
    ...work is something I'm forced to do between riding and fishing

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ray Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,177
    Man I hate to see stuff like this, its a no win, someone will get bit/hurt and her dogs will be killed.

    The worst part is she will probably have the least amount of suffering from the whole thing, the innocent riders and the dogs will take the brunt of it.

    Mace seems like the only effective option, just make sure you give her a good shot of it for me.

    Ray


    Quote Originally Posted by mrgorth
    I road the wiss last night and had a bad dog experience. Let me first say that I love dogs and have never been scared of them. Also, I don't worry too much about the leash laws as long as the dogs have self control. Last night, aside from the rest of the ride being great, was the worst experience I've had at the wiss. I was approaching a left turn to a downhill where there is a black iron gate with a fence bordering a road. I don't know geographically where this is. Anyway, a lady with 2 giant black german shepards had just come through the gate. I was going to ask to go down the hill first when both dogs, unleashed, approached me barking their heads off. She shouted to me that they were muzzled. And, indeed, both beheamoths had black, metal muzzles, which actually made them scarier. She started down the hill while I was trying to figure out what to do. The one actually tried to bite me but the muzzle got in it's way. Still, scary. So she decends the hill and I sat on my bike watching her go down knowing that if I decended the dogs would get pissed. I was hoping she would go straight and not turn to the right as I do. Another guy had also parked his car by this gate and I asked if she was with him and he said no. We agreed that this was weird. He said the dogs barked at him and that she had left the back door of her car open. After a while I started decending and, OH BOY, she hadn't gotten to the split yet and the dogs started in again. I got off the bike to use it as a shield and for the first time in my time at the wiss and maybe even riding ever, I yelled at her. I told her to control her f***ing dogs or I would report her. She said "please do". I also yelled that they were 300lb dogs which was a stretch but they were probably 125-150 each.

    Now, I don't like causing trouble but these dogs will be doing this to other people. I don't know who to contact or what good it will do but I thought I'd ask here. Friends of the Wiss? Aren't there rangers of some sort? Anyone else ever see this woman and her dogs? Thanks.

    ps.
    I really wish people would stop riding northbound on the whoop section just north of Valley Green. I love to lay the hammer down there.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    57
    To be truthfull I always feel a good "Get the F*ck Away" usually makes them move. Might just be my accent that makes em move away though...

    I havent had any run in's with dogs at Wiss but had a few back home over the pond. The above seemed to work then! Maybe they will just get confused by the accent over here?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    109
    Above all this is abuse and neglect of the animals themselves, and this all needs to be reported to the SPCA or some government authority so a dossier can be put together. If something does happen she'll just claim it was a fluke and the first time, whereas if a history is reported they'll have a much easier time of dealing decisively. .

    I ride the Wiss as much as anyone and I've been fortunate to have had few negative encounters with other users. I also walk my dogs in the Wiss, one of which is blind, so I choose primarily to go in off hours, I keep them on a leash at all times, and I keep the blind one muzzled just in case.

  13. #13
    PMBA
    Reputation: lust4singletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    41

    Maybe they are trained

    You gotta wonder, do her dogs do this to everybody or just to people on bikes. She may be a bike hater so won't care if the dogs bite you. Wiss has a fair share of bike haters. People like this really do need to be dealt with. They ruin it for everybody else. Unfortunetely if you try to do anything, be it a rock or whatever, these dogs are going to kill you. Do what you can to report her if you see her again. Get her license plate number if you see her car and report her to Fairmount Park. FOW has no authority to do anything, but FPC does. It would even be very worth it to call the police, and show them her vehicle. Above all try to be the bigger man, stay calm, and remember that she is an a$$hole.
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    77
    man i ride there with my wife and kids i gotta get some mace or something
    how do we go about enforcing the PA leash law there

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by lust4singletrack
    You gotta wonder, do her dogs do this to everybody or just to people on bikes. She may be a bike hater so won't care if the dogs bite you. Wiss has a fair share of bike haters. People like this really do need to be dealt with. They ruin it for everybody else. Unfortunetely if you try to do anything, be it a rock or whatever, these dogs are going to kill you. Do what you can to report her if you see her again. Get her license plate number if you see her car and report her to Fairmount Park. FOW has no authority to do anything, but FPC does. It would even be very worth it to call the police, and show them her vehicle. Above all try to be the bigger man, stay calm, and remember that she is an a$$hole.
    The dogs will get through pepper spray?

  16. #16
    PMBA
    Reputation: lust4singletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgorth
    The dogs will get through pepper spray?
    Not sure. Never tried to be honest. I just hope it will not have to come to that, and we can nail her without violence. Don't get me wrong if one of these dogs comes at me I'm gonna defend myself (I don't carry mace so a rock will have to do). But I really really would not want to have to do that and feel it should be a last resort.

    Also thanks for the headsup about this cause I have not seen this lady yet.
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

  17. #17
    Inbred Homebrewer
    Reputation: Stick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by lust4singletrack
    Not sure. Never tried to be honest. I just hope it will not have to come to that, and we can nail her without violence. Don't get me wrong if one of these dogs comes at me I'm gonna defend myself (I don't carry mace so a rock will have to do). But I really really would not want to have to do that and feel it should be a last resort.

    Also thanks for the headsup about this cause I have not seen this lady yet.
    I'm pretty sure you wouldn't stand a chance against two attacking (un-muzzled) german shepherds, even with a pretty big rock. In the time it'd take you to bend down and pick one up, they'd be all over you. Smartest thing you could do is just haul ass outta there. If they are muzzled, they aren't going to do much damage one way or the other (aside from scaring the sh!t out of people).

    If you do have a run-in with her and the dogs behave similarly to the way everyone else is reporting, make a note of the date & time, and call the FPC. If enough people phone in reports, they may be able to spot a trend (e.g. she walks the dogs between Wise's Mill and Lincoln Dr. every saturday around 2:00... whatever.)
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    102

    mace?

    instead of mace get yourself some dog "halt".. it will work if you need it...its a differant composition than mace or pepper spray... (carried by postal workers or utility meter readers) unfortunately it could be that the dogs were sprayed by bike riders and now have a fear whenever they see someone on a bike...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    57
    Also to bear in mind guys that the wheels on a bike produce a noise unhearable by humans that really annoys dogs. I dont know if thats just hogwash!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    77
    why do so many people hate bikers there we bring in our share of money to the park most of the riders there are friendly. hope they never kick us out

  21. #21
    PMBA
    Reputation: lust4singletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    41
    We put the feelers out there to our associates in the park and here's what we got so far from a good source.

    her name is Joanne (unfort no last name)
    she is a doctor of some sort (homeopathic something or rather)
    she lives, or has ofc at, 123 Hilltop, Phil PA 19118 (between Rex and the train tracks near Shawnee in Ch Hill)
    her plate is ESS 6986 (BUT the person did not know if she still drives that car)
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2

    woman's identity revealed. PLS TAKE ACTION!

    I am a dog Walker and oppose leash laws. Just so you know where i am coming from. That said, this nut of a woman is ruining it for us Walkers out there. I am also a roadie and mtn biker when not walking my dogs.

    A professional dog walker friend of mine says that woman is beyond nuts, her dogs are killers, and so on. She says that when she sees her, she gathers her pack of dogs and leaves immediately. She has witnessed serious fights with those dogs where the owner doesn’t even try and break things up and deal.

    Here is what I have got:
    • her name is Joanne (unfort no last name)
    • she is a doctor of some sort (homeopathic something or rather)
    • she lives, or has ofc at, 123 Hilltop, Chestnut Hill (Phila) PA 19118 (between Rex and the train tracks near Shawnee in Ch Hill)
    • her plate is ESS 6986 (BUT the person did not know if she still drives that car)


    Apparently there are existing complaints on record with Phila Police.

    So what are the next steps? It might help if multiple people took the effort to contact the Police. HERE IS THE INFO:

    • Sgt Baker and Captain (Sy) Sayid from the 92nd Precinct have jurisdiction
    • Call the precinct 215-686-7292/-3
    • The area is in the Wissahickon between Creffeld St. entrance and Chestnut Hill Ave entrance (in chestnut hill)


    I WOULD KINDLY ASK THAT YOU REITERATE with the Police that the leash law is not the issue here. This woman is nuts and her dogs on a 6-foot leash would still be dangerous to all.

    Senseless ticketing walkers for dogs off leash will only make them less cooperative. I got this woman's number from another dog walker after only 5 minutes of calling around.


    Oh, uhm, no need to say that macing a dog is awful all-around and will only make them worse. Whereas the owner might just like a whiff of pepper :-)

    Jan

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ray Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,177
    I doubt the lady has anything against us, I am willing to bet she is just an inconsiderate idiot to everyone (her own dogs included).

    Now this next part has nothing to do with crazy dog lady, but if it where not for the fact that I make it a point to say hello to other riders, end up spending to much time in my LBS and meeting nice riders, and getting tons of great help here from fellow rides, I would not like us either!

    Prior to me starting to ride again my opinion of cyclist was pretty low, think about where non bikers see us

    city parks where 95% of the traffic is on foot is no place to be ripping 20+ MPH down a path on you MTB, been hit and didn't like it much! good grief there are strollers on the path, thank god it was me who got nailed and not a parent and there baby.

    My Spandex, The mellow walk/bike paths that are used mostly by walkers and people just out cruising around soaking up the sun, is this really the place for Johny road racer to try and break the land speed record?

    The bike messenger, looks so cool dressed in all black zipping along the city street but be damed if I can see them coming when Im on foot let alone driving.

    The newb, to slow to be in traffic but fast enough to scare the hell out me on the sidewalk. (Thats me, there are streets I do NOT feel safe riding on and must use a sidewalk so I go SLOW or usually walk it)

    The protester, you know the cool unshaven ones who somehow manage to lump cycling into what ever fight they are into this month (Anti war, anti meat, anti car, save the rain forest, legalize weed, one less car, hug a tree, make love to a rock.....)

    I am sure they are all wonderful endeavors but really take a deep breath and sell in small doses and dont hurt biking instantly as you try and achieve your long term goals of world piece and vegetable rights.

    I know this sounds very negative but its human nature that the bad things will stick out in your mind, as the saying goes one bad apple can spoil the bunch

    let the flamming begin









    Quote Originally Posted by killzone
    why do so many people hate bikers there we bring in our share of money to the park most of the riders there are friendly. hope they never kick us out

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    77
    jand@mostlyweb.com

    I am a dog Walker and oppose leash laws. Just so you know where i am coming from. That said, this nut of a woman is ruining it for us Walkers out there. I am also a roadie and mtn biker when not walking my dogs

    agreed ive come across plenty of very friendly dogs on the trail but this is nonsense i dont even want to take my family there

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by jand@mostlyweb.com
    I am a dog Walker and oppose leash laws. Just so you know where i am coming from.

    Well explain to me where you are coming from. I am a well known advocate here in Pittsburgh for enforcing the leash law. I love animals and in particular dogs and cats, but the feelings turn sour when I see someone who does not have their animal restrained in any area other than an off leash area. It kills me to see people take such good care of their animals, getting them groomed and often putting moronic looking clothing on them, but yet let them roam free to go where they will. Some people don't mind if dogs aren't on a leash as long as they are well trained, I say it is disrespectful to let your animal roam free and approach me or anyone else unless we agree to have the dog come towards me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •