Did you ever have ham?

A couple questions

First question!!! I just picked up a 1991 Honda Accord wagon and was wondering what kind of bike rack would work best on it?

Second question...my girlfriend and I were up at the Moon walking today and she walked right over the top of a snake on Five Tree. The little fella was about 2 1/2 feet long...can anyone identify it? I apologize because the one pic is kinda blurred!!!

Thanks for the help!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A couple questions-dsc04697.jpg  

A couple questions-dsc04706.jpg  

A couple questions-dsc04707.jpg  

Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Moto:

Hey nice ride!

Here's a great place for more car bike info:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/
    Try asking your car question there, might get more responses!

As far a the snake... RUN......

Run With The Wind
    Moto,
    Eastern milk snake.
    Install a hitch on the car and buy a hitch rack. A hitch is usually around $100.00 and a roof top carrier could be four times that amount.
    You donít know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

mtbr member
    I believe that is a young black rat snake. As they get older, they lose their color pattern and turn solid black. You think we would see a lot more of them considering how many small critters are running around the woods near the trails. the place seems to be infested with chipmunks. Should be like the Old Country Buffett for a snake.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    re:racks

Hitch racks start around 100-150 for modestly crappy ones and go up from there. For a good solid one expect it to be a couple hundred, so hitch+rack package would be on the order of 200-250 and climbing *at*least*. On a sedan like yours do not expect to get more than a 1.25" hitch. You could probably bolt on a 2" receiver hitch but then one day when you forgot yourself and tried to tow that boat you may bend the frame of the car.

example cheap hitch rack : Thule SportRack A30901EZ 2-bike rack, $200

more costly, bit nicer: Saris Thelma 2 bike hitch rack, $320

Roof racking is handy, and keeps the bikes out of some of the crud, but unless you find a deal then towers+cross-bars+bike mounts add up really quickly. They have the advantage that they can carry things other than bikes though, for example my roof-top Yakima setup can carry two bikes AND skis/snowboards.

roof rack base systems ==> over here - prices seem to run up to about $400

Then you need a bike mount or two ==> clicky linky.

The Yakima remove-the-front-wheel types start in the 60-70 and require old-style standard QR front wheel to work best. More convenient racks that don't require wheel removal start over $120 and climb quickly.

For a whole roof rack system you're talking on the order of 600 bucks to accommodate 2 bikes.

Did you ever have ham?
    I am on a pretty tight budget right now, so I was basically wondering if there are any trunk mounts that would work on my new(old)car. For the time being, I am just going to lay down the back seat and haul the bikes like that...but in the future I do need another option. I was checking out hitches and they are hovering right around the $200 mark!!!
    Thanks for all the responses!!!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Pretty much any trunk mount will likely strap-on. You may be able to figure out a way to get the straps to attach to the rear hatch (?) and not interfere with it opening, but be careful. Hate to see body-work required.

Also, be careful to make sure that when bikes are on the rack that none of the tires sit right behind the exhaust ... I blow out a tire once like that on a road trip!

mtbr member
    I used to use a Saris trunk mount on a GTI. The lower bar rested on the bumper, the upper bar on the hatch window and then the four straps hooked around the hatch opening. Worked fine though in the four places where it hooked the hooks did a little bit of paint damage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Your best bet for a budget rack is to search craigslist!! I scored a Yakima system with two bike attachments for $150!! All I needed then was the proper q-clips for my roof and I had a pretty much new rack for just over $200 and a trip to Harrisburg!!

mtbr member
    bolt a fork mount right to the roof. about 20$. where the rear tire sets, put 2 small holes on either side. have plenty of long zip ties handy 5$. Total cost on job 25$. hey, you said you were on a tight budget right? :-)

wounded knee
    Moto:
    I have a lower end trunk mount rack that if it works you can have it, either stop up the house or let me know when your going to the Moon.
    I will be there Wednesday.
    This Weekend is booked for me, no mtb.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Come on over to the Poconos and trip over our rattlers

mtbr member
    That is one Nasty looking snake! just the eyes say it all... that was in the poconos?
    (no big surprise) just asking..
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    What would you rather have, snakes or a ridiculous amount of small rodents? That's a tough one to answer!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    What we really need are bats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    What we really need are bats.
    I second that notion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Baseball bats? How about Aga-laters?

Did you ever have ham?

A couple questions

Or a blue-butted baboon!!!