mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Considering moving back to NEPA...

Hey all, I just started posting on MTBR.com a few months back. I grew up in NEPA, but I have been living in Houston for a few years. I haven't posted anything in this particular section of this forum before. I have pretty much stuck to the "What bike should I get" forum. Anyway, because of complicated family issues and other things, I am considering moving back to NEPA. I'm kinda reluctant to make the decision though. I've been away for about 5 years. I know things are starting to change a bit there now, but I just don't know if I want to do it. It always seemed like there where no jobs there and alot of people had bad attitudes. Is this just my perception? On the other side of the spectrum, Houston is way too crowded. There are lots of jobs here, but if you live outside downtown, but have a job there, the morning and evening commutes are insane...its like an hour and twenty minute drive one way just to go 20 miles. And houses are built right dang next to each other with hardly any yard. Anyway, I was just hoping to get some feedback from some PA people.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Hello:

Well NEPA is better than it was. Due to the fact the "Old 70 plus year old Crownees" have died off! Rough statement! Yes I know it is, but "True" The new people in charge still have problems like we all do but I tend to look at the better side of things. There are many places to ride, and they are really beautiful. The jobs well not so great.

Just my Freek'in opinion!

LC
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

My nepa view

Having moved to NEPA from NWPA I can say that this half of the State still has a F all attitude , not the bikers I've met or rode with , just the general population. My theory is that stems from the coal mining days when the workers where treated poorly and most of there posessions where owned by the companies. I think due to this they never felt any respect to the land or others and it was passed down. It is the only way I can explain the shear amount of trash littering the woods and the attitude. The riding is good however. Well enough of my theorizing. Best of Luck to you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I really think you are wrong about throwing trash, I bet you anywhere on this forum people will tell you stories of people just throwing trash at will. Yes, trash is on the side of the road, but you get that no matter where you live. Big cities and small. These ignorant people live all in USA over not just in NEPA. No looking for a arguement either. I use to live in NEPA and yes the land is or was abused, it is abused by one big Owner too, if you know anything about NEPA you know what town that person lives in enough said. I live in a big city and see people throw trash on the street all the time. One big reason I believe not enough trash cans around whether this is a result of 911 or just not being visible enought it does happen. People who do this are wrong. I am sure there are alot of people who live there along time who have respect for the land and know the difference. Yes there alot of people who moved there from other areas now who just carry on with their own ways from the towns that came from too. So please all I am asking is do not put everyone one is the same boat.

Not nice:

Are you calling all the Water Heaters, Washing Machines, Sinks, Beer cans, H 78/ 15 inch Snow Tires, Couches, and Cardboard..................... TRASH?

I Thought we were in "HEAVEN MAN!"

In all those piles of trash I will find a: 1969 Schwinn Cotton Picker Krate Bike.

Don't be SCARED! The trash doesn't bite, but the BEARS do!
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    No, I calling all that stuff my gain your lost cause I'm taking it to the circle drive in flea market and selling it. Ya can have that bike.

Atomic

You can park next to me at the Circle. Then we can hit the old Sugerman's flee market! Too bad they don't have Bike parts there. Just don't throw out my Water Heater I really need that for a trials section I'm building. Do I hear 50 cents for the Washer?

LOL
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member

Gotta agree to some extent...

Quote Originally Posted by bwillsie
    Having moved to NEPA from NWPA I can say that this half of the State still has a F all attitude , not the bikers I've met or rode with , just the general population. My theory is that stems from the coal mining days when the workers where treated poorly and most of there posessions where owned by the companies. I think due to this they never felt any respect to the land or others and it was passed down. It is the only way I can explain the shear amount of trash littering the woods and the attitude. The riding is good however. Well enough of my theorizing. Best of Luck to you.
    Relocated to NEPA from SouthWest Indiana/Northern Kentucky. Never......saw refrigs, garbage bags, waterheaters, old chairs , sofas just tossed on the side of the road...cannot figure it out in our area. But......................the outdoors here is really nice and under utilized all four seasons. I sense things are starting to change for the better.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I haven't made it to sugarman's flea market yet oooooooomy. I do sure miss sugarman's for me it was the original walmart, (yes walmart probably was around in some form back then too). But eynon drugstore/sugarmans was the bomb. Where else could you get the parakeete, drug refill, and ammour killing bullets all at the same deal and still get a discount off if you asked right supervisior.

Jeff:

I will take you on Tour De Great Re Fridge! Remember you are on the top of the Mountain. It was very hard to carry a washing macnine that far from the valley. And why go that far there is a mine hole around here somewhere close!

How's the MT Top trails?

LMAO
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Moved from NEPA and away from all of the MTN bike / Road bike elites. Their heads were getting WAY to big for the 'peloton' and the sweet single track....Dont get me wrong, NEPA has some AWESOME riding both mtn and road, BUT it is not rider friendly. If you dont mind as*holes crusin by you, flipping you off and getting spit at, GO FOR IT. I wouldnt get back involved in group rides though b/c the TOUR DE NEPA mentality is a bit too much for my legs. Colorado is a bit better, but still have it out here, however, nothing like riding 5000+ vert. on sweet single track, and seeing only a few peeps.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Dang, so it sounds like alot of you do agree with me about the attitudes. I was hoping it was just my experience from the corner of NEPA I grew up in (near Wilkes-Barre) and that you all would disagree with me

To be honest, the whole trash thing never crossed my mind, but now that you all mention it, I do remember alot of it around at park areas. But, thats not to say you don't see that everywhere. I will say that I don't see much trash here in the Houston parks, but maybe they just have a bigger tax budget to pay someone to remove it.

I still have some really good friends in NEPA and I have met alot of good people people there, but its just that in general, a good percentage of people there seem well...'unenthusiastic' and pessimistic about...well about just about anything. But, I guess you just have to take the good with the bad. There's no perfect place.

I would actually like to consider trying somewhere like Asheville, NC or somewhere in TN, but I am a single dad and I have alot of family in NEPA and being a single dad you can use all of the help you can get. Plus, there are some not too bad places to ride in Houston and I've heard Austin is pretty cool, but for me there's nothing like riding in the good ole Appalachians. Houston is as flat as a board. I miss the hills damn it

Quote Originally Posted by brianmtn
    Moved from NEPA and away from all of the MTN bike / Road bike elites. Their heads were getting WAY to big for the 'peloton' and the sweet single track....Dont get me wrong, NEPA has some AWESOME riding both mtn and road, BUT it is not rider friendly. If you dont mind as*holes crusin by you, flipping you off and getting spit at, GO FOR IT. I wouldnt get back involved in group rides though b/c the TOUR DE NEPA mentality is a bit too much for my legs. Colorado is a bit better, but still have it out here, however, nothing like riding 5000+ vert. on sweet single track, and seeing only a few peeps.....

WHAT!

You don't think the GUN is for only shooting Bears!

Hee-Hee
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    I guess I can chime in on this since I've done the move you are proposing. I grew up in San Antonio, TX and moved to Mountaintop, PA shortly after high shcool. I now live in Philadelphia. (Really Conshohocken)

I would make a list of what you enjoy about Houston (besides mtb), and see if NEPA is going to fit the bill. (No rodeo, no mexican food, a whole lot less sun, and less city stuff such as museums, restaurants, etc.)

If NEPA doesn't fit the bill you could think about Philly. I don't know how much assistance you need from your family but it would put you closer, and you would be in a major metro area. The Philadelphia area has many big employers that drive the economy, which make for a greater job pool. Plus you would be, in my opinion, in a mountain biking mecca. Of course you mentioned traffic, and any big city is going to have plenty of that.

As far as attitudes you are going to have mix of people whereever you go.

Baker.

ganginwood

north carolina

you'd be a fool not to choose asheville. i lived there for 4 years and ask myself everyday "why did i ever move?"

there is so much more riding and other outdoor activities. you'll actually get to ride on 7,000 ft mountains instead of 2000 ft ant hills.

good luck in your decision.

mtbr member
    NEPA isn't all that bad for trail riding (IMHO), there are some very good places to ride Prompton Dam, Merli Sarnoski Park, Hubbard Mtn., Etc.
    You just have to enjoy riding rockey, rooty, muddy trails, and not be a candy ass that like to ride the smooth groomed trails.

LeftyMax

mtbr member

Good job! Things are changing for the better..................

Today my daughter and I participated in a Nescopeck S.P. Clean up day as we have for the past 4 years. This year there were the most volunteers we have ever seen. They were all ages including quite a few Penn State Hazleton students and Crestwood H.S. students. In addtion, there was less trash along Honey Hole road than in past years....so I do believe it is changing for the better.

Jeff:

We need more people like you and your daughter. Nescopeck State Park is a great place! How are the trails in Mt Top?

Thanks
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member

Smile Thanks Lee.............

for the thoughtful comment. All work has ceased due to State Forest enviromental review.