Trail eater

conditions at wissa????

has anyone been out to wissa and or belmont today?

I would like to know what the trails are like. Is it worth a ride sunday morning before another bout of bad weather.

cheers

electric
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I tried to go riding in Beaver Valley (DE) today woulda been nice ride only if I had studs. I bet Wissa is the same

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wissahickon yesterday was predominantly icy. The ground itself where exposed was frozen, so there wasn't any mud due to melting. Definitely studs conditions if you have them. All uphills were rideable with studs. I can't speak for regular tires, but I'm going to assume it was slip city.

Late info, but I figured maybe someone might like to know what it's like underneath this new layer of snow and ice.

Trail eater
    we rode briefly yesterday and it was studded conditions for sure. Going downhill was real scary and we were off of our bikes. It made it worse that we were walking on the ice with our metal cleats which made it even more slippery. I hope that some of this rain will at least begin to melt the thick crust of ice that is covering most of the trails out there.

Does anyone know what the conditions are like out at belmont?
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    we rode briefly yesterday and it was studded conditions for sure. Going downhill was real scary and we were off of our bikes. It made it worse that we were walking on the ice with our metal cleats which made it even more slippery. I hope that some of this rain will at least begin to melt the thick crust of ice that is covering most of the trails out there.

Does anyone know what the conditions are like out at belmont?
    MMMmmmMMMM.... I loves me some icy trails. Makes all my raving about the virtues of DIY studded tires a bit more understandable, eh?

Ride where others fear to walk. . .

Was nice to see you out there, anyway - lunatics. Trying to ride some of the trails yesterday w/o studs qualifies you for a free stay in a tiny, padded cell.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Freshly Fujified

Guilty as charged

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    trying to ride some of the trails yesterday w/o studs qualifies you for a free stay in a tiny, padded cell.
    Saturday morning I went out and after I almost dumped the bike twice, I tucked my tail between my legs and went home.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    belmont would be equally shitty.... with more riders over there lately that place has been starting to get really abused when it is muddy.

road bike time me thinks till things dry out.

with rain coming later this week it doesn't look like this weekend will be any good either...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I dunno know about you guys, but I rode French Creek Sunday morning and it was out of this world. Everything was covered by at least 3-4" of snow. All the rocks were covered, with only a few showing their heads here and there. The snow was hard packed and grippy. I did the whole ride on my exi-wolf tires with no problems. Simply stated, it was French Creek minus the rocks, which is nice for a change. Although I love the rocks though, dont get me wrong. But doing FC once with out the rocks was very interesting, and fast!. I hope some of you guys had a chance to hit the trails there.It was one of my best rides so far.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by CaballoLoco
    I dunno know about you guys, but I rode French Creek Sunday morning and it was out of this world. Everything was covered by at least 3-4" of snow. All the rocks were covered, with only a few showing their heads here and there. The snow was hard packed and grippy. I did the whole ride on my exi-wolf tires with no problems. Simply stated, it was French Creek minus the rocks, which is nice for a change. Although I love the rocks though, dont get me wrong. But doing FC once with out the rocks was very interesting, and fast!. I hope some of you guys had a chance to hit the trails there.It was one of my best rides so far.
    Sounds sweet. Wish I could get out there during the week before all the snow is gone, but my after-work rides are usually confined to places a bit more local.

How much snow fell out there last night?
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am not sure how much snow it fell there Stick. I dont think more than an inch or two. I am afraid it will not be the same this week after the rain and slush of last night and this morning. And temperature will be rising this week, so the snow will start melting and turning slushy. Anyhow, if I can get there soon, I will let you know how everything is.