mtbr member

conditions at boyce weekend of 4/4-4/6

will be in the monroeville area visiting family this wkend and wondering what the conditions of the trails of boyce will be like. not sure what the weather has been like out that way, but in harrisburg we have had a decent amount of rain this week. from my exprience, it doesn't take a lot of moisture at boyce to make the trails pretty sloppy.

either way i am bringing a bike to town. just wondering on how to set it up. if trails will be decent, then i will throw some mtb tires on my singlespeed 29er that is currently setup for commuting with skinny tires for my first foray into ss mountain biking. if trails are unrideable, i will bring the same bike but may need to adjust gearing.

also, it trails are too wet, does anyone know of a decent area to ride on the road and not get runover in the monroeville/turtle creek area? i need to ride some this wkend if at all possible to get ready for the first michaux race and i figured the hills of western pa to be a good training ground.

jim
    The wheel of Ka turns and the World moves on.

mtbr member
    we havent had any real rainfall in the Pittsburgh area since last week or so, as long as we dont get any rain by the end of the week the trails shoud be pretty decent. it was supposed to rain this monday and tuesday but that didnt happen so you might as well throw on you mtb tires.

if your gonna be in the monroeville area you might want to check out the Roaring Run trails in Apollo. Just take Rt 22 east to 66 in Delmont, take 66 north for about 20 min until you cross over the Kiski River (cant miss it), once over the river make the first right, go about a half mile to the parking lot. Appollo is rockier than Boyce so it doesnt get real muddy, the trails are tons o' fun.

mtbr member
    thanks for the quick reply! i was checking out the forecast for the next several days and thought i saw rain in the forecast and knew that if it rained earlier in the wk in addition to anything thursday/friday the trails would be in bad shape.

as for rockier, i'm generally all for it (this is pennsylvania after all ). but my commuter bike is rigid and a rocky first ever ride on rigid ss is not something my legs or heart may be up for. i also am not going to be able to get away for any extended period of time, so i will likely have to stick to boyce. from turtle creek it seems to take me a minimum of 15 minutes just to get there and twice that if traffic is bad. only being able to get away for short periods of time was another reason i was contemplating just doing the whole road scene (no matter how much i hate it) as long as there was somewhere safe to ride.

i would like to check out apollo sometime and i keep thinking that a road trip to some of the laurel highlands as well, but there never seems to be enough time in each riding season!

mtbr member
    boyce is almost entirely dried out save for a few big mud pools that are easily avoidable. if the rains stay away, you should have good riding this weekend and the weather is supposed to be nice

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yesterday Boyce was very greasy when I rode after work since it rained hard for a few minutes around 3:30 or so, but it wasn't saturated the way it was a few weeks ago. Depending on what happens Thursday and Friday, it could be very nice this weekend. If it rains, just stay high and expect to go around some bogs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just took a beautiful evening blast through Frick Park on the Bianchi SS, and it was surprisingly dry. I'm sure alot of the secondary trails that branch off the main trails are different, but had a great time.

Life is Good
    If you did indeed ride at Boyce today, can you please let me know how it went? I am considering heading out there on Tuesday since it's supposed to be BEAUTIFUL out

Welcome spring!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member

yes and

it was relatively dry and tacky in the area above the log cabin. some of the lower stuff was wet with puddles. i found my tires packing frequently with mud, but that was only when riding the lower lying areas and my tires probably weren't the best for the conditions. i also think that me riding ss for the first time resulted in a little more 'spin outs' on climbs due to trying to power up the hills in the soft conditions. by tuesday the trails will probably be in great shape if its dry until then.

as far as the ss goes, the park was great for my first time out and the whole experience was fun. i must say i have never stood up that much while biking in my life, but the trails there do flow pretty well.

Life is Good
    For anyone interested, I just returned from Boyce Park and the trails are in great condition! A few mud pits scattered here and there in the lower areas and by the creeks, but otherwise nice and tacky! Higher trails are actually starting to remind me a little bit of summer

Get out and ride before the rains later this week!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain