sambabiker.com

Common trail problem

Hello everyone! I just wanted to pass on a message that I distributed through our club, SAMBA. I think it is a common problem that every park faces, so here it is:

Message from SAMBA's President

We here at SAMBA ask everyone to please refrain from performing any unapproved modifications of the trails. One of the greatest thrills in mountain biking is the challenge the trails can provide and building your skills one ride at a time. There are some trails or sections of trails that are ridden cleanly every time we ride them and others that may force us to dab or walk a bit (there is no shame in that). That is all a part of the challenge/fun of riding unpaved trails. Riders come in all abilities from the first timers to the expert rider, so what is ridable for some is not by others. Changing the trail for your ability can spoil the trail for others. Such modifications such as log buildups, removal/addition of rock, and/or alternative lines can even ruin the relationship with the land owner resulting in trail closures. As your skill progress I promise you that you will be rewarded.

If you feel that a trail is in need of some repairs or you have some concern please contact a SAMBA representative for that area or myself (see website). SAMBA will look at the problem and try to do what is best for club members as well as the park. Please help us out by spreading the word and lending a hand in keeping side lines blocked off. By doing this we will all be rewarded with trails the will keep us entertained year after year. Thanks for your understanding in this matter. Now get out and enjoy the ride!

Brian Arnold, SAMBA President
    Last edited by barnold74; 09-06-2008 at 12:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    +1. In the York area please join YAMBA at www.yamba.org. There same issues could damage the good relationship that mountain bikers have with the York County Parks. If you feel that there is a need for more or less challenging features please do not hesitate to come to a meeting or a trail work and make the suggestion.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Brian,

i couldn't agree with you more form the perspective of someone who is intimidated by the trail features that they encounter. but i do have to play devil's advocate and stress that the maturity of the sport is leading to some pretty skilled riders feeling bored and unchallenged on their rides after a while. i'll openly admit that i've added numerous "alternative lines" that many people look on as being stupid, dangerous, etc. i've encountered a bit of resistance to this attempt to liven up my rides, mainly in the form of other users dismantling any obstacles, despite my keeping them off the main trail.

i know i'm not alone in wanting to continually challenge myself as i progress, but there hasn't yet been any way of approaching this situation. it'd be great if there was a system in place that allowed progression beyond the natural level of the trails. i say we start looking into it.

should i expect to see you at the bash?

sambabiker.com
    I understand where you are coming from Don. The main frustration I have is the “sanitizing” of the trails. If a trail is too challenging for someone then PLEASE don’t change them. We have lost so much singletrack in the past that I think we really need to make the effort to preserve the access we have now.
    The Bash is not in my plans, but I may go up one day for a ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Gov Dick

In particular to one of your trails. The new section at Govenor Dick. When I first started riding that section I had difficulty making it through the trail at many locations. I now can manage riding the trail with much more success. I would like to say that it is all contributed to my increased skill level but to be honest with you some is attributed to an increase in skill, some to just becoming more familiar with the terrain and alot to some strategically placed rocks or removal of structure. I always assumed that it was a SAMBA representative that was doing such alterations.

Riding a single speed rigid on that course is abusive. If you didn't build that trail I probably wouldn't be riding at Gov. Dick very often. I think riding is very much a personnal choice and applaud anyone that rides be it road, rail trail or technical. Me, if at the end of a ride I have no bruises, cuts and new scratches on my bike then I feel cheated or disappointed. Your trail has never disappointed me.

So if in fact people are changing the trail from your original design so as to feed their own false measure of accomplishment then my suggestion to them would be to stay on the old trials at Gov. Dick or ride somewhere else so that they never have to clip out of their pedals, fly over the handle bars, never have to walk around in shorts with bloody gashes on their shins, forearms and face or scratch their precious bike.

Sometimes you just gotta do it the hard way to feel good about yourself. Oh yeah, thanks again for that trail. I do like it.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I borrowed a bit and added a bit for our website I hope you don't mind!

Message from NEPMTBA-PARTS Trail Stewards, Park managers & staff

NEPMTBA-PARTS Trail Stewards would kindly ask for your assistance to please refrain from performing any "unapproved" modifications of the trails. One of the greatest thrills in mountain biking is the challenge the trails can provide and building your skills one ride at a time. There are some trails or sections of trails that are ridden cleanly every time we ride them and others that may force us to dab or walk a bit (there is no shame in that) and always be safe and ride within your means wearing the proper fitting safety gear. Always get off and walk(especially if it's the first time you have seen) a section that you feel is too difficult, survey it and check your line then proceed to attempt the challenge, and never ride blindly into a section without first checking it out by foot. That is all a part of the challenge/fun of riding unpaved trails. Riders come in all abilities from the first timers to the expert rider, so what is ridable for some is not by others. Changing the trail for your ability can spoil the trail for others. Such modifications such as log buildups, removal/addition of rock, and/or alternative lines can even ruin the relationship with the park staff resulting in trail closures and in some cases be illegal as non certified person could endanger other users. As your skills progress I promise you that you will be rewarded. In parks where multiple lines are allowed at some(not all challenge points) we provide more or multiple lines in gradients of difficulty. This gives the trail user a chance to try different more difficult lines or just go back to the easier line. We have a photo file of all skill challenges in the parks we work in on file so we can refer to them for future use. Of course you are always invited to attend one of our scheduled trail workdays where you can have a hands on approach led by trail builders the proper way to construct and maintain trails. We will also offer skills clinics scheduled and announced on our website for those who would like to learn from pros "how to" Thanks for your understanding in this matter. Let's all work together to make our parks the best ones they can be - Remember you ride at your own risk so be prepared - "Safety first" leads to many miles of Fun!

sambabiker.com
    No problem.