mtbr member

Clearfield County Riders?

Just wondering if there are any other mountian bikers out there from clearfield county? Am I the only one?

Thanks
    "I know you think you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

my church is the woods
    I don't live in Clearfield, but I have a good friend that lives there who I come to visit a few times a year (he doesn't ride). I usually ride the trails off 322 near Rockton. I don't know any other areas, but it would be nice to be shown some local trails. I'll be there from Friday to Tuesday morning over Memorial day weekend, next week. Let me know if you want to ride then..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm southwest of you in Indiana County. Where do you ride up there?

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Guys:

Whatever hapened to the Trails to Trails in Snowshoe? I rode over there a few years back! You could go form Snowshoe to Phillipsburg! It was then an ATV group who had it. I heard the couldn't insure it. Did it become Rails to Trails? There were alot of strange places there to ride. One giant hillclimb nesr Grassflat was called "Volcano" by the locals. That is one of the steepest things I ever rode up or down! How about the high bridge at Viaduct? Still there? 101 feet high! Riding over that was awesome!

I know I'm throwing questions out like the Plague, LOL ,but Did you ever ride the old railbed at Dimeling? What came of that? Just that Clearfield is close to me cause as a kid my dad worked there building Rt 80, so childhood was all about riding and exploring! Of course the thrill was to be on the new highway with the trusty old bicycle and have it all to myself with NO cars on it yet! Take about a speed demon!

That little dot at the top is me at Volcano!
    LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Performance Cycle, most of the area's mentioned in your post are within a 10 mile radius of my house! The Snow Shoe rail to trail is still there, aswell as the Viaduct Train Bridge, Peale Train Tunnel, etc. However the rail trial is threatened by a proposed landfill for the area near the Viaduct Bridge. You can check that you here: http://stoplandfill.com/default.htm There are some pics of the Viaduct and Peale Tunnel on that website.

The Volcano is still there, I can't imagine anybody climbing the face on a mtn bike, you must have clmbed the trail on the backside right? You are right there are some very unique places to ride in this area. Very rural w/ ATV trails galore (they make some nice bike trails)

When you talk about the old railroad at Dimeling, are you referrring to the rail trial between clearfield and curwensville?

Later
    "I know you think you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Thanks for the website:

We had a Motorcycle trials put on by Tricky Trylers out there a few years back, it was behind the Go Kart track. I had a chance to ride some of the area on my Gas Gas. The pic of me at Volcano is the Gas Gas. Your rightk, No mt bike is ever going up that! What is that big pile of stuff Volcano is made of? Was there a giant coal breaker there at one time?
    I rode there with a guy from near Snowshoe. He has an older KTM with a missing radiator cap! He was a blast. He would climb Volcano, and if he knew he wasn't going to make it he would bailloff and jump for his life! Sometimes he rolled quite aways.

The old railbed at Dimeling splits I was on the one to Madera! I think it's on the list ot be a Rails to Trails path. I was told at the Taco Bell by a girl who worked there and her boyfriend raced MX in Phillpsburg there is a place to ride motorcycles near Phillipsburg, like a track or something! Not Breezewood. A local riding area. Ever here of it?
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    acr140,

there's a user on here goes by WAM who lives near you, and the NMBA rides arent' too much of a stretch. you can also get yourself to black moshannon pretty quickly, and that is excellent riding for sure.

ask on the NMBA forums, many people are closer to you than you think.

i think the forums got locked down to registered users only on friday due to an excessive spamming attack from russia and hong kong, but registering isn't hard and is free.

good luck, hope to see you on the trails.

don

mtbr member
    bighitdon, thanks for the info, I did a search for WAM,but go no results. I have ridden all over black moshannon and have attended 1 NMBA ride, unfortunatly the NMBA guys didn't show, but it was the first ride scheduled for the year. I got to ride with a single speeder from DuBois who came over for the ride. I am familiar with this area, because I work in Mifflin county, so most of my after work rides are in Rothrock SF.

I was just wondering if how many other Clearfiedl County riders were out there, because they seem to be pretty rare.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    lol, that first ride on apr 5th was a washout, sorry you actually rode. if there was a ss from dubois, you might have found that elusive WAM. he's working a little closer to you than that tho.

like i said, jump on NMBA's site and you'll find folks from philipsburg and maybe even clearfield.

don