mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Classic rides close to Philly?

yo

I've been wearing out the Wiss and White Clay over the last few months. Not complaining, thats for sure. Just looking to change it up a bit. Anyone have any beta on not-to-be-missed singletrack within 90 minutes or so of Center City?

thanks

banned
    Apr 2009
    Have you done the singletrack at the WISS across from Lincoln Drive? Make a left off Forbidden Drive at Lincoln drive and go up the path until your first right turn, you will be on Lincoln Drive in a street parking lot, ride up 200 feet to traffic light and make a right, you will see a Sunoco gas station on your left. Head straight into the woods there and turn right.. There is an upper and lower trail. It ends at a house with a pool on the left and you will be at a street. Cross the street and go up 20 foot dirt hill (youll have to carry your bike there). Go until you cant go any further and you will be on Manayunk Rd. (I think), you can then go 5-10 minute ride to Belmont Plateua--just make a right turn at bus terminal and ask anyone which way to go--its really easy to get there, READ reviews on this singletrack--you can easily get lost BUT YOU'LL love it there... It's some serious fun riding of real singletrack....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    hey thanks for the info. Ive ridden Belmont (and dig it) a bunch but not sure Ive accessed the section of the Wiss youre talking about. I'll ask my buddy who is more familiar with the rides we do there and see if he knows. I am typically just doing the giant loop on both the east and west sides of the creek. any variation on this big loop:
    http://www.mountainbikebill.com/imag...ncoursemap.pdf

but I definitely dont access any trails by the Sunoco. I'll have to take a look. thanks!

mtbr member
    Have you hit up Fair Hill, MD yet? There are a ton of trails there, and it's quite close to white clay creek. http://www.bikekinetix.com/t_md/md_s...hp#description
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I havent. looks cool. I'll put it on the list.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    +1 to Fair Hill. Try to get a map or go with someone who's been there before- it's a really big place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    word. it looks like there is at least one 17-mile ride posted on mapmyride.com. I'll poke around some more.

mtbr member

try pennypack!

try pennypack park in NE philly. you can start on pine road and ride all for a long time. i am still learning the place. there is a meetup group that rides there tuesday nights. i am sure you can find someone to ride with on a weekend
    SOLD: 2010 EWR OWB 29er
    SOLD: 2012 Transition Bottlerocket

2013 Banshee Spitfire XL Red

mtbr member
    I'd venture to say Fair Hill has well over 50 miles of singletrack, maybe 100. Its like a rough White Clay with more hills, rocks yetand roots. A fantastic place to ride. The Jamboree was just yesterday and a great time.

Here are some GPS tracks

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/55886800

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40925714

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/32036724

banned
    Apr 2009
    Here are pics of Singletrack across Lincoln Drive at the WISS..---

I do it, then turn around and come back the same way--going up the top or bottom-----up top is where all the jumps are built--or at least the ones you are still allowed to go on--BUT not with my Paragon!!!

BUT YEAH, your 45 minutes away from Fair Hill in Elkton Md.--Best singletrack I have even been to. Just make sure you dismount your bike when you encounter horses and let them pass. Crackhead Bob (and the trails around that) are my favorite.--Look up Trail Spinners in Delaware, they might give you a guided tour--Because you can REALLY GET LOST down there, there might be 150 miles of trails and fireroads!!--AND they can hunt down there also, so wear appropriately clothing...
    Last edited by 247; 05-16-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Inbred Homebrewer
    90 minute radius from center city could cover a pretty big area, depending on how fast you drive!

Certainly, you could hit French Creek, Blue Marsh, South Mountain, Valley Forge, High Rocks, Green Lane, and the places already mentioned in the DE/MD region. Probably a few NJ spots within reach too (e.g. Sourlands, Mercer, Chimney Rock).

Quote Originally Posted by Radioface
    yo

I've been wearing out the Wiss and White Clay over the last few months. Not complaining, thats for sure. Just looking to change it up a bit. Anyone have any beta on not-to-be-missed singletrack within 90 minutes or so of Center City?

thanks
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

more trails for ya

Brandywine, Marsh Creek, Harmony Hill(downingtown), Don Guanella, Swarthmore/Smedley. Look them up in the trail review section.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioface
    yo

thanks
    If you're a pretty experienced rider you'd probably enjoy french creek the best. You can ride there for 4 or more hours if you want and its pretty rough. Marsh creek in downingtown is cool but at a good pace you can ride every inch of it in 2 hours or less. Fair Hill is massive but a lot of it is a little sterile. Brandywine is my home spot but there aren't any really good maps of the trails and connecting together the sections can be tough if you're not there with somebody that knows it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    French Creek is great, and you can be there in less than an hour from Philly depending on the Schuylkill traffic of course.
    Go another couple exits West down the turnpike and you are in Mt. Gretna, Camp Mack territory(both great as well)or take 176 North (about 20 minutes) from the Morgantown Exit and hit Mt. Penn. The opportunities for you are endless!