mtbr member

Church Road singletrack tomorrow morning. Sunday 11/22

Picked up a new mountain bike on friday and will be doing my first ride sunday. I'm new to mountain biking and was just wondering if anyone was going to be in the area. I will be going around 9:30-10am.

~ Jason

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay68442
    Picked up a new mountain bike on friday and will be doing my first ride sunday. I'm new to mountain biking and was just wondering if anyone was going to be in the area. I will be going around 9:30-10am.

~ Jason
    Jason:

Welcome!

Congrats on the new bike and interest in riding. If you need help just post your questions on our shoutbox on our website. Lot's of cool people to help you with anything:

nepmtba.piczo.com

I was invited to ride out of town on a ride Sunday but we ride every Wednesday night at Moon Lake park 6 PM meet at Main Gate, all are invited and no one gets left behind, so no worries about getting lost.

Only thing is you'll have to spend more of you money to get a light!

We have lot's of rides coming up and your welcome to ride with us if you like.email me at: nepmtba@yahoo.com and I will add you to our ride list if you like.

NEPMTBA
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Blue Marsh-Church road, if so just a heads up the last two sundays I rode from the church road lot it looked like they where having a horse convention there all over the place groups of 4-6 riders and I came upon 5 groups like this,have a blast on the new ride.

mtbr member
    Well I survived my first mountain bike ride. I went to the lot on church road near A&R around 10am. I found the terrain to be a little difficult for my first ride and got a rude awakening. Road biking is far easier. I rode over a few of the wood bridges and made my way up to a dirt road (well a path that looks like a truck could fit on). I decided this was a little difficult for me and loaded the bike up and headed to tunnel road. There were about 5 cars parked at tunnel road but I never saw anyone. I road along the creek up to an old train bed and road that for a few miles. Once on the train bed I knew exactly where I was from all of atv outings. All in all it was a good first ride. I enjoyed being in the woods with my bike and look forward to doing a lot more riding. I realize fully that I have a lot to learn.

Gravity's Gone
    Excellent. Nice pix. Welcome aboard!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    good stuff Jay, great for you.

i hope that you continue to enjoy it.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Jay:

Thanks for the pics and the story!

Nice rig also!

Did you ever have ham?

Welcome aboard!!!

Welcome aboard Jay! Like a friend told me when I first got started(earlier this summer)it doesn't get any less painful! LOL! However, it is so much fun you don't notice the pain and discomfort! There are alot of benefits and you touched on just one that is near and dear to my heart...being out in nature! I enjoy riding around town and running errands on my bike, but nothing compares with being in the middle of nature and experiencing the sights, sounds, and smells! I hope to one day meet you on a ride and share experiences with you. Until then, welcome and have fun! Any questions or comments please feel free to ask or share!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member

Jay....

Saturdays through the end of year is Moon Lake(no hunting)....Sundays are a mixed bag of rides....and some night rides...good to have another rider joining us....welcome. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Hey Guys, thanks for the welcomes. I look forward to meeting and riding with all of you.

While riding there were a few times when I was stopped dead in my tracks by a not so large rock. I assumed I would roll right over it but when I hit it, it stopped me dead almost sending me over the handle bars. I was running about 33 psi in the front tire and I think that may have been too low. Felt like the tire flattened out instead of rolling over the rock. What psi should I be running?

Did you ever have ham?
    Hi Jay! I usually run about 50psi in my tires. I am definitely a Clydesdale at 6'4" and approx. 350 pounds.

mtbr member
    I'm 210 lbs @ 5' 8". Next ride I will try upping the pressure.
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I'm glad you had a good time, being out in the woods is awesome. You will learn with experiance to shift your weight around and push/pull on the bars to negotiate different types of obstacles. It is more of an full body exercise than road biking.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    jay, what tires are on your bike ( and 26er or 29er wheel size, with innertubes I'm guessing )?

i'm just shy of your reported weight and almost the same height. I run 2.3" to 2.5" tires on my 26er (FS) and roll 20-30 psi depending upon tire. With over-heavy 2.5" "DH" specific tires I can run as low as 15 PSI w/o difficultly. Geeze that makes for crazy good traction but holey schamoley does it make it tough to keep up with Jeff on the uphills.

On my 29er (rigid) I have 2.2" tires and roll about 28 PSI, tubeless. Works great. Same trails.

mtbr member
    Bear, the tires are 26 X 2.10 with innertubes.
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Jay, my advice is that when needed / can afford it, try some up-size tires. Something in a solid 2.2 or 2.3-ish carcass will let you run a bit lower pressure safely and will help quite a bit with the rocks.

You'll still have to learn to finess lots of stuff, but I've found for years that 2.1's belong in race environments, not general trail riding. << just my opionion though >>

You can probably find some stuff on sale over the coming weeks pretty cheap too, end of year closeouts, seasonal sales, that kind of stuff. The only thing to be careful about (really) is that depending on your frame/fork there will be a limit to how large a tire you can take AND based upon your current tire size I'm guessing you have narrower rims so I would not necessarily advise going so wide as 2.4 or 2.5 ( as much as I love the phatter tires on a bike for the reasons stated above ).

addendum: fair warning, larger/heavier tires will roll heavier in one way or another to different degrees - TANSTAAFL!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Jay, I used to have that problem a lot when I was new to the sport. I don't believe it's solved by tire pressure. For me it was all about riding technique. Try to keep a little more momentum in the rocky parts. It also helps to shift your weight back a bit. Or think of it as lightening the front end. You can use your arms to jump the front wheel over rocks. It takes a little practice, but it'll become 2nd nature.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    tduro is right that the only long term solution is building up skill, but having too little pressure will make it a lot harder to avoid even then.

learning to ride slow and flowy through the rough stuff can also help, lower speeds reduce the severity of tire/wheel impacts on the rocks. Harder to not fall off though. :P

mtbr member
    Went down to tunnel rd. for a ride today. The weather warmed up nicely and the riding was good. I ran my tires at 35 psi and they seemed to be a lot better. Thank you to taco for showing me a new trial today. I met him at the start of the ride and he was nice enough to ride with me for a little bit before heading off on his own.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    werd, taco is a cool guy.

today was crazy nice up there. 17 miles of Goodness.I hope the guys that came up from the south forgive us for hammering them on their Big Bikes. :P

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Jay, glad you had a good ride....

Gravity's Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    werd, taco is a cool guy.

today was crazy nice up there. 17 miles of Goodness.I hope the guys that came up from the south forgive us for hammering them on their Big Bikes. :P
    Considering the fact that you saved my a** out there on more than one occasion, all is forgiven.

Did you ever have ham?

Church Road Singletrack

Jay,

I am glad to hear that you had a good time! As a newbie I can tell you this is like a sickness! The more you progress the sicker you become! LOL! I have to get over that way and do some riding. I used to live on Tunnel Road, but that was before I was into mountain biking! Ride On!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Jay:

Next time you upgrade at least try a wider front tire like a 2.3, it will float over stuff easier and allow for a smoother ride. Running a larger front tire also has a larger diameter, thus allowing you front wheel to roll over holes and rocks. You really won't notice more drag unless you run really low pressures.

I run WTB LT Wierwolfs 2.55s according to their measuring system, but they are more like 2.3s in reality. Fairly light at somewhere between 700/800 gms PSI,,,32 fr / 30r. I run them on my Redline 26er SS front and rear, and I'm weighing in at 250 on non donut days..LOL.

Riding is all about learning what works for you and the more you experiment the more you learn. Stem length, seat adjustment, suspension sag, damping, handlebar width all play in getting your bike comfortable to you. Sounds like a lot of adjustments, but that's all a good thing.

God luck keep riding...