Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Christmas morning ride by motoman465

A great ride and history story from the NEPMTBA forum by motoman465.

I thought I would post it here so everyone could check it out!

motoman465:

In anticipation of eating and drinking too much I had to get out for a little ride on Christmas morning. I ended up doing 6.5 miles, good enough to get the blood pumping!

pic 1, Here is a shot of my Windsor 29r leaning against a group of White Birch trees.
    pic 2, Two lonely tracks in the snow
    pic 3, Doesn't my bike look festive on top of these pine branches?
    pic 4, Is there a bear in there? I always wanted to wrestle a bear!
    pic 5, I went a little out of my way for the next two pics. It is a monument dedicated to the Battle of Wyoming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christmas morning ride by motoman465-dsc01694.jpg  

Christmas morning ride by motoman465-dsc01695.jpg  

Christmas morning ride by motoman465-dsc01696.jpg  

Christmas morning ride by motoman465-dsc01697.jpg  

Christmas morning ride by motoman465-dsc01698.jpg  

Christmas morning ride by motoman465-dsc01699.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Nice pics!

Interesting tunnel? I know where that's at!

The battle of Wyoming, Queen Esters Bloody Rock is located along Susquehanna Avenue near Seventh Street in Wyoming is one of the most interesting artifacts of the Battle of Wyoming.

Queen Estherís Rock is named for Queen Esther Montour, the descendant of several mixed marriages between white settlers and Indians, this large rock marks the spot where, allegedly, following the Battle of Wyoming, Queen Esther, angered by the recent death of her son, lined 16 American colonists around a huge stone, ever since known as Bloody Rock, and personally smashed their skulls with her tomahawk. Other sources say it would of been impossible for her to travel by canoe to get there to do as she was claimed to do. Was she there or not is an unsolved mystery!

That night Butler's men who survived the massacre swam to Wintermoot island and hid from the Indians and heard the screams of men being bludgeoned to death at Queen Esters rock! The others who escaped through the Shades of Death area near now Bear Creek.

I love this stuff and I think I should of been a History teacher... LOL

Lot's of interesting stuff to see on an MTB around the valley.

Gives me PEACE of mine
    Better yet,maybe a tour guide at gettysburg...lol

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Now that's FUNNY

LMAO...

Did you ever have ham?

Christmas Morning Ride

That is cool! I never heard about Queen Esther's Bloody Rock. I found this pic of the marker on-line along with a short little write up, but it did not mention where this is located at! So tell me, teach...where can I find this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Moto:

Queen Esters Rock is located on Susquehanna Ave, between 7th and 8th streets across from Leonard's auto tags business. They had to put a cage around it cause people were chipping off pieces to take as souvenirs.

Another ride where you can also view history is on the Luzerne County rail trail in Pittston where the Knox mine disaster site located on the trail. And at the end of the trail is a site I'm working on with our PCCGRR group about the Pennsylvania Coal Company Gravity railroad that began in Port Griffith and ran to Hawley some 47 miles away carrying coal over the mountains through a series of inclined planes. Plane 1 was located at the property of Para's auto parts on Market street. Of course this is private property and not to be trespassed on. Nothing is left of the original Plane 1. I do have a map showing the workings if you would like to see it. Also I will let you know when we hike/ride in the spring to one of the PCCGRR sites.

Nuff for now?

Did you ever have ham?

New Year's Eve Ride

I went for a little ride around town this morning to get the blood pumping! I got a couple pics of The Bloody Rock and also found the marker for Fort Wintermoot. Neat stuff!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christmas morning ride by motoman465-dsc01733.jpg  

Christmas morning ride by motoman465-dsc01735.jpg  

Christmas morning ride by motoman465-dsc01738.jpg  

Christmas morning ride by motoman465-dsc01739.jpg  

Christmas morning ride by motoman465-dsc01742.jpg  

Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!