mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Chesterbrook riders

Hey,

On my ride home yesterday I passed a few mtb riders on the Chesterbook trail that heads into Valley Forge. I just moved to chesterbrook and hit this trail on my way out to betzwood and back (approx 15 mile loop). If you read this let me know if I could tag along sometime, or if somone lives in Chesterbrook and wants me to show them this ride that would be cool too. Always more fun with a friend!

Chillin,

Fran

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

not legal

FWIW, all the trails in Valley Forge are not legal to ride on, including the often ridden trails in the Betzwood area. Coming from Chesterbrook, there's a lot of trails around that stream and up along 76 that connect to trails up the backside of Mt. Misery. Many are rarely used (especially if you stay off the marked Mt. Misery trails) but none are legal. I trail run up there 1-3 times per week and I rarely see anyone, never see bikes (although I've seen signs of them) and never seen a ranger. That said, it's still not legal so if you're opposed to poaching trails or worried about getting caught, don't ride Valley Forge.

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    I ride in Betzwood from time to time. I will post here next time I do
    Click. Point. Chute.

Programmer
    Nov 2006

rangers don't sweat it, why do you?

My brother is a ranger, and he dosen't sweat the limited amount of riders that spin through Betz... I'll post here next time I ride too. (Unless someone phones the cops on us?)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

VF and Betzwood

As I said "FWIW, all the trails in Valley Forge are not legal to ride on, including the often ridden trails in the Betzwood area."

I've ridden at Betzwood, as have many others. As a self-proclaimed newcomer to the area, I was just letting Fran know that it's not legal in case that's important to her.

Few people ride on the trails directly accessible from Chesterbrook (assuming she's riding under 76 from Chesterbrook) since those link into the heavily used Mt. Misery and Mt. Joy trails. I assume (but certainly don't know for sure) that rangers like your brother have a different attitude about people bombing down Mt. Misery.

That said, there's a bunch of trails on the backside of Misery (off north side of Yellow Springs) that see almost zero use. I bet you could ride there conflict/risk free if you were so inclined. I've been tempted to do so myself.

mtbr member
    I stick to the trails on the opposite side of 422 ( over the scary bridge). I have yet to have an issue there, just be nice to the people on horses...

Depending on how I feel today on the road bike (I think Im overreaching), I may be in there tomorrow. Ill post ant let you know.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ride on the "legal" side of VF and I would be willing to show you around. Email me offline at

dursofd@comcast.net

I was just there this morning. I have a few days off next week due to the holiday so I will be around