Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    20

    Chester/Montgomery Counties Night Ride?

    Historically this has been covered, but I havent found any new information...Is there any organized night riding around here? Many references have been made to the Downingtown bike shop organized group ride. I cant remember what shop and if its year round.

    Anyway, I'm looking for some night riding with some other people (is there any other kind this time of year?). I live in Chester Springs, So I can ride over to Marsh Creek, or drive if i want to make quick work of it and getting to French Creek is easy too. I work in Limerick so anything remotely close to here is also an option.

    But what are my options to ride after work this time of year? Any group rides? Does anyone want to meet up occasionally?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlexCuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    846
    I'm in Collegeville - once I get a better light I will be doing night rides once a week or so. Evansburg, Valley Forge and Green Lane will be the locations. Just shoot a PM if you wanna ride some time.

    I know a lot of people ride Harmony Hill and Marsh Creek at night, these would be closer to home for you.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    If you guys don't mind a old beat up ss rider tagging along... I'm in. Any of the listed places would work for me..

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    110
    I ride Marsh Creek a lot. Not sure about any group rides there though. I'd be interested in checking it out though if there are any. If not maybe we should try to get one started, I know a few other people who ride MC pretty often.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    20
    from what i've seen, most of marsh creek is fairly SS friendly. I can break mine out. Old full rigid 26er Kona Unit. I have a single magicshine and honestly havent tested it out too much, so I'm not sure if that will be enough for all the conditions.

    I've never ridden Harmony Hill, but would be willing to give it a shot. Maybe in the daylight first though,

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    110
    Well Marsh Creek is basically mud soup right now but Tuesday night might be good.

  7. #7
    singletrak junkie
    Reputation: spk1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    86

    group ride

    Quote Originally Posted by mra32 View Post
    Historically this has been covered, but I havent found any new information...Is there any organized night riding around here? Many references have been made to the Downingtown bike shop organized group ride. I cant remember what shop and if its year round.

    Anyway, I'm looking for some night riding with some other people (is there any other kind this time of year?). I live in Chester Springs, So I can ride over to Marsh Creek, or drive if i want to make quick work of it and getting to French Creek is easy too. I work in Limerick so anything remotely close to here is also an option.

    But what are my options to ride after work this time of year? Any group rides? Does anyone want to meet up occasionally?
    I know of the" philadelphia mountain biking MEET UP group", they do weekly rides all year long, and this time of year they are night rides.
    "do it in the dirt "

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheAntiSpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    91
    I know that the philly mtb meetup group does organized night rides at marsh creek once in a while, but outside of those, is night riding allowed at marsh creek? I was under the impression that it wasn't.

    I was at marsh creek on thursday and flowy is right; mud soup, especially the dam side! I'd be surprised if it's much better by tuesday.

    mra32, these are the 2 bike shops that I know of that do rides; not sure if either of these are the ones you have heard of.

    Group Rides - LoweRiders Bikes and Boards, Downingtown, PA 19335

    CCB group mountain bike rides and road rides. | Chester County Bicycles
    Last edited by TheAntiSpoke; 11-30-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added bike shop rides

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    110
    Night riding is accepted at MC although it may not technically be approved. The park is open to fishing after dark but from what I have heard and experienced the rangers don't bother bikers about being out after dark.

    The worst section for mud seems to be from the west side boat launch towards the dam. Once you cross the first bridge, right before the field, it tends to be a little drier. The area out by the see-saw on the other side of the dam is usually a little drier too. That being said I was there Friday afternoon and it was sloppy everywhere.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheAntiSpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    91
    Anyone up for a night ride Thursday or Friday? I just got a new light (Niteye B20) after my Magicshine crapped out after brushing up against it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    110
    I would be interested in Thursday or Friday but I'll have to check with the wife to make sure I don't have a conflict. I'm definitely going to try to head out this evening and/or tomorrow afternoon if I can slip out of work a little early.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    73
    Just got back from a ride at GLP, we rode the first half of the blue trail from Ward rd. two times. We cleaned up the trail yesterday and it made a big difference, if you take your time where the trees are down you will find the new cuts around the mess. Starting to dry out as well! I used my new Cree light and it is worth the money I spent, no complaints.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    Flowy,
    Depending on the time/ location? I could do a Tuesday afternoon ride. I tried to send you a PM, but do to my low post count... It was rejected.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheAntiSpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowy View Post
    I would be interested in Thursday or Friday but I'll have to check with the wife to make sure I don't have a conflict. I'm definitely going to try to head out this evening and/or tomorrow afternoon if I can slip out of work a little early.
    Cool. Let me know if you're game. I might also ride thurs / fri morning if anyone is around.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by mike001 View Post
    Flowy,
    Depending on the time/ location? I could do a Tuesday afternoon ride. I tried to send you a PM, but do to my low post count... It was rejected.
    Oh man, sorry I just saw this. I went out at about 2:30, hope you got out it was nice out there.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiSpoke View Post
    Cool. Let me know if you're game. I might also ride thurs / fri morning if anyone is around.
    Will do, should know tomorrow.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlexCuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    846
    Got a new light in the mail yesterday, hoping its bright enough for trail riding at night. Helmet mount should be here soon, anyone up for riding Green Lane next Monday or Wednesday give me a holler. If the Blue Trail is sufficiently clear I might see if it makes me want to kill myself as bad as it did last time - would be the first real test for my new 20t freewheel.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheAntiSpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Got a new light in the mail yesterday, hoping its bright enough for trail riding at night. Helmet mount should be here soon, anyone up for riding Green Lane next Monday or Wednesday give me a holler. If the Blue Trail is sufficiently clear I might see if it makes me want to kill myself as bad as it did last time - would be the first real test for my new 20t freewheel.
    I wish I could, as I've never ridden that locale, but I work those nights.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    110
    OK, just dropped my bike at the shop for a tune-up. Assuming it's ready by Friday afternoon I should be good for a Friday evening ride. I might even be able to get an early start at around 4:30.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheAntiSpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowy View Post
    OK, just dropped my bike at the shop for a tune-up. Assuming it's ready by Friday afternoon I should be good for a Friday evening ride. I might even be able to get an early start at around 4:30.
    Cool. Assuming your bike is ready, let me know the time. Where you thinking of riding?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiSpoke View Post
    Cool. Assuming your bike is ready, let me know the time. Where you thinking of riding?
    Well it looks like the bike is done already, that was quick. I was thinking Marsh Creek starting at the west side boat launch and heading out over the dam to the bonus loop. Based on my work schedule for Friday it looks like I could be there ready to roll at 4:30.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheAntiSpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowy View Post
    Well it looks like the bike is done already, that was quick. I was thinking Marsh Creek starting at the west side boat launch and heading out over the dam to the bonus loop. Based on my work schedule for Friday it looks like I could be there ready to roll at 4:30.
    Sweet. See ya there.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiSpoke View Post
    Sweet. See ya there.
    Just sent you a pm, see you there. If anyone else is interested - 4:30 at the west boat launch at marsh creek.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    40

    Conditions

    I know it will be muddy, just how muddy rideable?
    Not worth a trip on Sunday?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmsg View Post
    I know it will be muddy, just how muddy rideable?
    Not worth a trip on Sunday?
    I think it's supposed to rain tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday. Probably not worth heading out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •