Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Central/SE PA must do trails and sections?

Lets talk a little about your favorite trails in this area. What would you recommend for others to try out? Favorite trails and sections? Lets not be like fishermen who keep all the good spots to ourselves

Like I said I've been only riding for a year so I still consider myself new. I do ride Camp Mack a lot as its only 10 minutes away. Favorite trails there are Spring Trail, Horseshoe down to Light Trail, Horseshoe down to Bart Trail, Horseshoe all the way down.

Second place I ride a lot is Mt Penn. Hard to say which parts are my favorite as the trails have no names really. But I enjoy the entire place! But I do like to ride the section from the Fire Tower down to the Pagoda. I go there to just session stuff.

I'm more than glad to meet up and ride if you need a half lost guide to these trails. Just wait up for me!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    NEPA

Moon Lake, Moosic Mt, Lackawanna State Park, Merli Sarnoski, Prompton SP, Frances Slocum SP

There's a start for NEPA trails and you can find lots of info in the "stickys" on the top of this thread page

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How about Rattling Creek, French Creek and Marsh Creek. Let's not forget Rocky Ridge and Swatara also.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    I'm curious as to which sections of the trails people really recommend. Lets say I have to go a bit further and drive an hour or so to a trail. It might not be a spot I get to hit regularly. What part of the trail would you say is a must do?

Like if someone asked me what I would recommend for Camp Mack I would say you have to hit Spring, Horseshoe and Light those trails are super fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Central PA would definitely be Rothrock state forest and Raystown lake

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    What part of the trail would you say is a must do?

Like if someone asked me what I would recommend for Camp Mack I would say you have to hit Spring, Horseshoe and Light those trails are super fun.
    My first choice Moon Lake...
    ...second Moosic Mt

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'll kick in, from a guy who moved here in '09 and has been trying to aggressively learn the region...

Bald Eagle SF, from RB Winter, get a GPX of the TransSylvania Epic route there, sure there's fair amount of doubletrack in it, but the singletrack it hits is *worthy* and specifically going down from Gross Pass trail is killer (and may kill you). Old Tram Trrail down (or up, just a lot more work up); Top Mountain or Cowbell Hollow in either direction, but Cowbell is more fun IMO from east to west.

Ratlling Creek, Lykens PA: Doc Smith/Fawn Kill/Perimeter/Shale Run/Frog Pond/Hang glider/Rocks Ridge/Shreffler Run/Dry Run/Rattling Creek/Hop Back. Optionally loop Stone Cabin/Rugged before/after the other.

Mt. Penn, Reading; start at the top and explore.

there's more...

trail addict
    It sounds like you are very close to Swatara and all the trails there are fun and fast.

Rattling Creek is fun, too, but lots of spots are a little more rugged. Goes for miles and miles.

If you make it over towards Doylestown, I recommend High Rocks/Ralph Stover. The whole place is cool, but be careful. Go to one of the overlooks and you'll see what I mean. Also out that way, Nockamixon State Park has trails now, too, but I haven't made it there yet.

A little ways up 81 you have the Roaring Creek Watershed. From the rt 42 side or rt 54 there is a lot of variety and a lot of miles out there.

Those are the closest I know of to your local stomping grounds.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Thanks all for the responses. I probably could have made it simpler just saying, "What are your favorite trails and favorite part of those trails?" I just want to generate some conversation so maybe someone can find our dialogue useful.

mtbr member
    I just tried riding Welsh Mountain today and while there was some good nature factors, the trails on the south of Gault road were really sandy and washed out. I did about 2.5 miles and went back to road riding for a while. Probly some better trails out there but I didn't catch them, oh well...
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All of Rothrock. Too many good trails to list my favs. Once you get to know the forest it's possible to put a variety of rides together - techy singletrack, downhill runs, mild double track, lung busting climbs, gravel grinding, etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mt. Penn is definitely my favorite. I love all the trails!

mtbr member
    Thanks all for the responses. I probably could have made it simpler just saying, "What are your favorite trails and favorite part of those trails?" I just want to generate some conversation so maybe someone can find our dialogue useful.
    No need to alter what you posted...I guess people cannot read, or they think the PA forum is their own...

Anyway, Mt. Gretna, trail #15.

mtbr member
    Which direction do you ride #15 at Gretna?

OP, the trails I've ridden within an hour from you are - Gretna, French Creek, Rattling Creek, Swatara, and Mt Penn. Mt Penn is great, but confusing without someone that knows the place. I couldn't name any trails. Gretna #15 is pure bliss (I've only ridden W-E), but just too far for me to drive given the overall size of Mt Gretna.

The trails I ride most in your neighborhood are Swatara and Rattling Creek. I couldn't tell from your post whether you've ridden either, so I'll just assume you haven't:

-Swatara is rigid-29er-single-speed-heaven. It's buffer and faster than anything up my way. I don't really have a favorite trail there, it's a small enough place that I think of it as two trails: Clockwise and counter-clockwise. I prefer CCW, but ride both. The place is impossible to get lost. It's about a 60min drive for me and worth it if I do a full loop both CCW and CW.

-Rattling Creek - It's an IMBA epic, what more needs to be said? Rugged Trail is awesome CCW. And the two "signature trails": Rattling Creek trail, always ridden West to East, and Rocks Ridge East, ridden both ways. Mostly trails are well marked except for a few intersections. It's also about a 60min drive for me, and absolutely, without question, worth it. Bring food. It's big and wears you out.

mtbr member
    I'd say jump on 81 and head down to Mt. Holly Springs. Then ride Nor-chaux from the Deerlodge/trout stream parking lot at the base of ridge road. Can't go wrong with any of the trails there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Which direction do you ride #15 at Gretna?
    Both.

I think if you like Camp Mack you would like Mt. Penn. It's basically a huge, slightly better version of Camp Mack.

Gretna, Rattling Creek, Swatara, Rocky Ridge, Marsch Creek and Mt Penn. I can speak for all of those. Not to mention White Clay and Brandywine.

smartass
    At Gretna, trails 13 and 15 are great in both directions, but I think 15 is more fun ridden downhill from the environmental center (or trail 4) to trail 13. The rock gardens are easier the opposite direction, but I think the whole trail flows better downhill. The 9-6 downhill is short, but awesome.

At Camp Mack, the Horesehoe from Hilltop to Light is great both ways. I prefer Light uphill, North Valley both ways, and Spring Trail down, although it's a nice climb out instead of the road. Sharp Valley just sucks up, down and sideways, but it's unavoidable. Activities trail is also fun, when it's not scout season.

Trails at Rocky Ridge are pretty great in both directions, and they're all good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post
    It sounds like you are very close to Swatara and all the trails there are fun and fast.

Rattling Creek is fun, too, but lots of spots are a little more rugged. Goes for miles and miles.

If you make it over towards Doylestown, I recommend High Rocks/Ralph Stover. The whole place is cool, but be careful. Go to one of the overlooks and you'll see what I mean. Also out that way, Nockamixon State Park has trails now, too, but I haven't made it there yet.

A little ways up 81 you have the Roaring Creek Watershed. From the rt 42 side or rt 54 there is a lot of variety and a lot of miles out there.

Those are the closest I know of to your local stomping grounds.
    Nox > Stover. Stover is a PITA. F that place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Both.

I think if you like Camp Mack you would like Mt. Penn. It's basically a huge, slightly better version of Camp Mack.

Gretna, Rattling Creek, Swatara, Rocky Ridge, Marsch Creek and Mt Penn. I can speak for all of those. Not to mention White Clay and Brandywine.
    Yes I do love Mt Penn. I ride there almost every weekend. Was fortunate to ride with a local who thought me how to connect most of the place.

Been to Swatara once. But it was an hour drive and I didn't think I could drive antoher hour there. Have yet to venture to French Creek. I hear some good stuff about it.

II think its awesome lots of people are sharing places to ride in this thread. Is there any places with table top jumps? I like to session but Mt Penn can be a little risky with double lip jumps.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Lots of great info here...

SE PA Trail Information Master Thread

mtbr member
    Rode Marsh Creek for the first time this weekend. Wow. Much flow on this trail. Great fun.

This section here felt like little house on the prairie.
    Central/SE PA must do trails and sections?-marsh-creek-07-05-2014.jpg

mtbr member
    You sure that bike's going to be able to handle the terrain? Looks like you might be in danger of g-out. XD

mtbr member
    I need a dual crown fork =)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone interested in exploring the Bald Eagle State Forest, contact me, I know the area fairly well, and the single track is killer here, you just need to know the loops.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast