mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Central PA Trails

So I mainly ride the trails in central PA ( Gretna, Rocky Ridge, Lake Redman, Marsh Creek ) with the occasional trip out to allegrippis and down to fair hill Maryland. I'm currently riding a trance x and have started to think full suspension is overkill for the trails I'm riding. I've been thinking about swapping my ride for a steel 29er hardtail as I think that would make my riding experience more enjoyable on my trails. Anyone agree, disagree.....thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Instead of swap, add! I have a light hardtail 26" bike, just bought a fatbike, and I will be getting a full-suspension trail bike come summer. That way you have the best bike for wherever you go!

Besides, once you get rid of your squishy bike, there will be times that you are riding and will be like "dammit I wish I still had my Trance"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Haha I'd love to do that but I'm not sure I can justify having both bikes! We'll see if I can make it happen this spring. I'm not sure I'd even have enough room for the extra bike in my garage with my road and mountain bike already! I like the way you think though

*JUST RIDIN*
    More bikes = more better

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hmmmmm, I am very intimate with some of those trails and it is a hard question that you have asked to be answered. My first answer would be to add another bike to your stable, a nice AM steel hardtail. However that might not be the best answer without having more info. So a few questions are in order.

Which trails at Rocky Ridge and Redman do you prefer?
    Do you like going uphill, downhill, or relatively flat?
    Do you prefer fast and flowy, slow and techy, or fast and chunky?
    How many other bikes have you ridden and what did you like not like (head angle, stiffness, weight, etc)
    Do you do any drops or jumps?

I'd say full suspension isn't overkill for Rocky Ridge, Redman, or Gretna. Your Trance x at 120ish mm travel front/rear is a good compromise of comfort, speed, and efficiency for the local trails.
    For me though, I love descending, and don't enjoy climbing much and I have learned that on our local trails I like slightly slacker, shorter wheelbase, medium travel bikes. I've owned and ridden a Stumpjumper FSR 120mm travel (too flexy), a Transition Covert 140mm travel (stiff, heavy though, and mine was slightly small for longer rides fun bike though), Ibex Trophy hardtail now @ 120mm front travel (bought as a cheap beater bike but swapped out some parts and now a nice fun light xc hardtail), and my favorite a Transition TransAM 140mm travel (using a shortened Fox 36) steel hardtail.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

banned
    Apr 2009
    I have a 29er Paragon with an 80mm Reba and ride from York to Philly to Md. Delaware. It's all I need here. This pic is at the Wiss..
    Last edited by 247; 05-16-2012 at 07:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by swengo86
    So I mainly ride the trails in central PA ( Gretna, Rocky Ridge, Lake Redman, Marsh Creek ) with the occasional trip out to allegrippis and down to fair hill Maryland. I'm currently riding a trance x and have started to think full suspension is overkill for the trails I'm riding. I've been thinking about swapping my ride for a steel 29er hardtail as I think that would make my riding experience more enjoyable on my trails. Anyone agree, disagree.....thoughts?
    Great topic, I've been thinking about doing the very same thing! I live in SW PA (City of Pittsburgh to be exact) and I have a Cannondale Rush, that quite frankly, I love to death. The whole 29'er thing is very appealing to me, and the thought of having a much lighter, zippy hardtail is very attractive. But I'll be 41 this year, and to be honest, I think parting with my FS to a hard tail may lead to some disappointment. I have grown very used to and accustomed to FS. I've thought of adding another bike as others have recommended, but my days of having four or five bikes are over, as we are looking forward to buying a home and having a baby within the next year. If I do make a move, I think it may be for a FS 29'er.

Dinner for wolves
    I agree with XjaredX in that you should should add a HT29 to your stable. At least for a while. See if the HT fits your needs and then send the losing bike to the chopping block if you must. What is it about your Trance that is diminishing your enjoyment of riding? Hell, I say buy an off the rack 29 SS (Karate Monkey comes to mind) and be done with it.
    Responds to gravity