mtbr member

Cascade Classic course?

Can anyone give me a description of the course for the Cascade classic this weekend? I've never ridden it. Is it tech, flowy, rocky, etc? Thanks!

ganginwood
    4 years ago it would beat you up pretty good.
    3 years ago they removed the powerline climb, which was a spectator (and rider) favorite
    2 years ago they removed a lot of the technical sections and kept the powerline climb out of the race.
    i didn't get a chance to race it last year
    this year the website says..."The course much more ride-able than in previous years"

and....now that it is a MASS race, many of the powerclimbs and rocky sections have been removed. pretty soon it will be like french creek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    4 years ago it would beat you up pretty good.
    3 years ago they removed the powerline climb, which was a spectator (and rider) favorite
    2 years ago they removed a lot of the technical sections and kept the powerline climb out of the race.
    i didn't get a chance to race it last year
    this year the website says..."The course much more ride-able than in previous years"

and....now that it is a MASS race, many of the powerclimbs and rocky sections have been removed. pretty soon it will be like french creek.
    ok, now Im confused. French Creek is rocky as hell. And this is coming from an ex-Coloradoan. So is it rocky like French Creek, or is it smoother like Danville?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I was there last Saturday, the course was a mess due to the rain we got on Thursday. They built a few bridges over the worst parts, which definitely helped. I got to a point where I would just dismount and walk through the worst sections and not even try. I'd say it was ridable, but plenty of sections were still rocky and rooty as hell.

It beat me up pretty good, but I had a bad day. Flat rear tire ~3 miles in. Left crank kept coming loose. Eventually the bolt snapped off just before the finish, and I had to walk across the line with crank in hand. Still a blast. I'll be doing it again next year.