mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Be careful at Camp Mack!!!

Just a quick word of caution to those of you who regularly ride Camp Mack:
    My son and I were up there for a ride late yesterday afternoon. Since we had torrential rains last week, MANY areas of the trails are washed out and large loose rocks are everywhere. The normal lines we take down some of the hills are completely gone now and filled with loose rocks.
    Unfortunately on the way down the hill on our way back to the car(near the sign), a loose rock sent my son over the bars and 15-20 feet into the woods. He ended up getting a bunch of stitches in his leg and is a bit bruised up. It could have been much worse as it looks like he missed a big tree by less than a foot.

my church is the woods
    Hi there A-Ray, best wishes to your son for quick healing and recovery.!!
    I'm curious which trails you are referring to....
    I ask because I rode Mack yesterday and didn't notice too much washout, (and none at all really on the newer, more sustainable trails). The straight up-down old trails ARE subject to heavy erosion, which I'm guessing is what you were riding.

begin rant-
    One thing I've noticed a lot lately is most people haven't yet taken advantage of the tubeless tire technology and just how much it improves trail riding. I converted a few years ago on my bike, and once I found quality tires (Schwalbe Fat Albert) that hold up, I haven't flatted in 2 years, and I run 28-29 psi. The traction is sooooooooo much better with that lower pressure, ride comfort is like having an inch of travel, and no more patching or replacing tubes! I tried a bike there yesterday, guy had a new 29er, had the tires at 55 psi; felt every micro pebble and traction was like riding on marbles (which is what some areas of old trail at Mack actually resemble), but he said he actually liked the high pressure...!!! Come on man! oh, and he and his buddy didn't have a permit to ride Camp Mack either! WTF people! ya spend $1,000's on your bikes, but $25 and a drive to Ephrata is too much for you to do your part and help ensure continued access to this place! Sorry, that's not directed at you A-Ray, I'm sure you have a permit, and probably helped SAMBA build or maintain trails there.
    rant over-

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the well wishes Moonraker, and you are right, the trails that were washed out were mainly the older ones. 2 in particular were the main trail coming from the 322 lot, and the long downhill where the new trail crosses it about half way down (I do not know the name) That was a scary ride...
    The newer stuff was just fine like you said.
    Austin crashed near the sign on the way back down toward the 322 lot.
    I also know of a few guys that are gonna be going up there in the dark, and right now a few areas are pretty tricky so I thought I would say something.
    I normally run around 30 lbs(55 lbs. is just insane if you ask me). and do not get too many flats(knock on wood), although I am taking your tubeless advice seriously and will probably make the swap pretty soon. And yes, me and my son both have permits at Camp Mack and are usually there a couple times a week. Definitely worth the 25 bucks if you ask me. Camp Mack is only a couple of minutes from my house too. I love it there.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Your son wasn't riding a Cdale Prophet was he?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You are 1/2 right, it was a C-Dale, but he was on a new RZ120-2 (only his second ride on his new bike) He used to ride a White Superlite.