Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    What would you classify as the connector trails? The doubletrack roads? Or the older trails that SAMBA didn't build?
    Yes.

I_AM - That's just the thing. There is some fantastic trail there. And sometimes it is nice to flow the singletrack and "take a break" on the other stuff. But sometimes it gets frustrating when you flow and bomb something like Spring, only to have your two choices to be ride up the fall line trail(s) of Sharp Valley and Big Timber, ride up the road by the creek, or turn around and ride back up what you just came down. I like going up Spring too, but it doesn't really take you to the other stuff like Light, Horseshoe to Eagle, what's left of North Valley, etc...

So yes, it is fun, but it gets old after a while is all.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    So you'd like to see more MTB singletrack built by riders for riders, type of thing?
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    So you'd like to see more MTB singletrack built by riders for riders, type of thing?
    I would! Any recommended trails. All mountain type riding. XC is ok but I like to get in the air some even though I'm scared half the time.

I ride Mack on the Weekdays mostly and Mt. Penn on the Weekends. I started at Gretna but only really enjoy trail 4. I tried 15 but it was to rocky and up and down for my taste. Ridden Swatara once and have yet to try French Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    I would! Any recommended trails. All mountain type riding. XC is ok but I like to get in the air some even though I'm scared half the time.
    If you live in Lancaster City Proper, Rocky Ridge County Park over outside of Hellam is a good spot. The nice part about that trail system is that aside from one trail (Bootleg 5A) it's all open to MTB. I live on New Holland Ave and it takes me about 35 minutes to get over to Rocky Ridge. Less time than Mack or Gretna.

Marsh Creek State Park in Downington is a lot of fun too. No big climbs but flowy single track with the occasional trail feature that'll provide air.

Lastly, Welsh Mountain Preserve outside of New Holland is open to mountain bikers. It's hard to get a good loop in, but I've done 5-6 miles there. If you ride from Gault Road down through Money Rocks to the bottom at Briertown Road its about a two mile downhill with quite a few features. Getting back up will be a lung buster, too. It's very rocky though, and nearly every time I've ridden there I've gotten pinch flats. Tubeless preferred.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response. I live towards Ephrata so Rocky Ridge would be quite the hike. But I'll try to check it out one of these weekends.

I've read very little about Welsh Mountain Preserve. Are there carved out trails or are they like just hiking trails? Where do you park there?

Welsh Mtn is dominated by old roads and "jeep tracks" so I guess you could consider them hiking trails in that regard. They are not built to sustainable trail standards nor are they built for MTB. That being said, some are pretty fun.

Check the link in my signature below.

We rode up at Camp Mack yesterday. Trails were perfect condition, just a tiny bit moist but dry for the most part.

We did nearly 8 miles, and here are some comments:

We tried riding up Bart. Not happening. Which is shame because it would be fun to start with Horseshoe from Hilltop to Light.

Speaking of Light, that trail needs a trim! We all ended up looking like we had been subjected to lashings after that trail. Probably a lot of fun in the fall, though.

We rode Forge Hill Road to see the extent of the logging. North Valley and Lost Valley are both completely gone after Forge Hill Rd.

Spring Trail and North Valley (what's left of it) were voted as most fun.

I've been trying to update an easier to understand map for me and my friends to use.

Camp Mack trail routes ......-mack.jpg

mtbr member
    Haha. I totally understand on Light. My arms are scarred up from riding that trail. I thought about wearing a long sleeve to ride there but this heat is killing.

mtbr member
    Trimming will Start Saturday (July 5) on light trail.

Lost Valley and North Valley creation will start early 2015

Matt Myers
    SAMBA -Trail coordinator JE Mack

Thanks for the heads up Matt.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a free weekend to help out before the fall. Getting married in August is filling up the weekends.

mtbr member
    Ahhh! Man I have a family outing this weekend and can't make it to help on light. But I will certainly try to help out other times.

mtbr member
    I was out there on Sunday. Thought I did not go much further than the top of Light I saw some thorns and turned around. Is there a rescheduling for trimming? I should be free now to help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I know of a couple people that will be there this evening. I think they're meeting at 5:30 at the main gate/pond, but I'll let them confirm that as I am not sure.

I'll be out there tonight around the same time, but planned to ride. What trails are they planning on working on so we can stay out of there way?

smartass
    We'll be on Light.

mtbr member
    Off work at 5. I'll try to make it out. Suppose to cut the grass but that can wait I think. My neighbors can deal with it!

mtbr member
    We will be on light trail and sharp valley. i have a full crew of 4 for tonight but will reach out for next time.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll try to come out and ride regardless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for all the work guys. Light trail no longer feels like getting mauled by a thousand cats.

mtbr member

I've been wanting to do a video. So I did a short edit of Spring Trail. Nothing amazing I've only been riding for a year. And I did not record some sections that I thought I did
    Last edited by I_AM; 07-12-2014 at 07:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice little edit.
    Help, I'm a rock!

mtbr member
    very cool, love it!

mtbr member
    Thanks. And you guys did an awesome job on Light Trail.

mtbr member
    My co-worker just told me her car window was smashed into last Sunday around 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. So be careful.

Parked where?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast