mtbr member

Camp Mack pass update

October 19, 2013

SAMBA is pleased to announce that after a year of discussions and meetings with the Boy Scouts of America, the PA Dutch council will be discontinuing the Camp Mack biking permits for 2014. The permit system will be replaced with a yet to be defined procedure for all non-scout users to acknowledge the rules restrictions.

Matt Myers

SAMBA Tail Coordinator

J. Edward Mack Scout Reservation

smartass
    Nice job, Matt!

sambabiker.com
    Very cool! Thanks

banned
    Apr 2009
    bout time!! what did they sell 20 each year??

That area should have been open to bikers without a permit (it would help the town of Lititz make money..)

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    If the new procedures involves a payment, will those permit holders that did not acquire a permit until mid-season of 2013 be able to transfer that permit payment into 2014?
    ArcGIS mapping pro, offering trail design and mapping support to non-profit organizations across Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    bout time!! what did they sell 20 each year??

That area should have been open to bikers without a permit (it would help the town of Lititz make money..)
    They sold between 100-150 passes every year

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    If the new procedures involves a payment, will those permit holders that did not acquire a permit until mid-season of 2013 be able to transfer that permit payment into 2014?
    Paul,

The new system will not require a payment

mtbr member
    Is sign up or ID still required?
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude View Post
    Paul,

The new system will not require a payment
    This is sweet. You do good work. Thank you for your commitment.
    ArcGIS mapping pro, offering trail design and mapping support to non-profit organizations across Pennsylvania.

banned
    Apr 2009
    no payment now means about 20 times more the bikers coming up there.. Every one I have asked about trails in Central Pa. all say they have not gone because of having to go get the pass (and go to another city for it, Ephrata...)

--So that should boost the economy up there (I would even like to see some 'biking options' in that SHEETZ up there)--Gel packs, spare tubes, etc... that would be nice..

--I know I will eat there before and after I ride that trail (get gas, etc.. in that area)

--the kicker is to get the word out (cause the 99.99% of folks I have seen on local trails, unless they read this section of MTBR, how would they know there is no pass now??)---I know I will tell everyone..

--So if someone can actually verify this is what is happening (and when)--I would heard up there next week!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    no payment now means about 20 times more the bikers coming up there.. Every one I have asked about trails in Central Pa. all say they have not gone because of having to go get the pass (and go to another city for it, Ephrata...)

--So that should boost the economy up there (I would even like to see some 'biking options' in that SHEETZ up there)--Gel packs, spare tubes, etc... that would be nice..

--I know I will eat there before and after I ride that trail (get gas, etc.. in that area)

--the kicker is to get the word out (cause the 99.99% of folks I have seen on local trails, unless they read this section of MTBR, how would they know there is no pass now??)---I know I will tell everyone..

--So if someone can actually verify this is what is happening (and when)--I would heard up there next week!!!
    Please reference my original post:

1) Starting in 2014 passes will not be required, so until then you still need a pass

2) I'm the SAMBA trail coordinator for Camp Mack, I'm not sure who else needs to actually verify this?

More riders means more maintenance which means they'll need more volunteers, which means more work for the trail coordinator, who is LititzDude.

So thank him gratuitously with your sweat on the work days.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    More riders means more maintenance which means they'll need more volunteers,

That is what they say.. in the last 3 years the riders at Central Park has easily Tripled!! and they have ZERO trail maintenance.. I move out rose bushes and glass on that trail all the time (so guess I am trail maintenance there??)

mtbr member
    Has the new system been announced?
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Nothing at this point. Follow the map and closed dates (on sambabiker.com links at the trail condition meter)

Matt

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    247 why do you have so much negative energy towards Camp Mack? This is now my favorite local trail to ride. I go about 2-3 days of the weekday there and its an awesome place to ride.

Matt and Samba does good work up there. Good variety and a fun place to ride. Hopefully we can continue to enjoy Camp Mack.

mtbr member
    its all good.. I would welcome all to register for the IMBA trail crew visit. Please look up the sambabiker.com for information. Let's make this a "go to event"

Matt