Anyone ride Camp Mack?

banned

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude
    Anyone ride Camp Mack?

I do. But you already knew that.

my church is the woods

yup

the horseshoe trail through there is pretty nice. time to get back in there now that september is here and we can ride everywhere again. i am lucky enough to live close enough to ride there from my house.

mtbr member

Camp Mack permits

Well, Matt the reason that I asked was that the signs for needing a permit have been up for a while, but they just asked you to sign in at the ranger station. "They" and I'm not sure who "they" are except it is some local pushed the Boy Scouts to go to a mountain bike permit like they have for hunting($75). The word I got was it will be $50 a year to ride at Camp Mack. We will still not be able to ride June-August or in the fall during hunting season and several weekends during the fall. When I first heard that a permit would be needed, I thought $20 would be great, everybody would happily donate $20 to the Boy Scouts, but $50 and I still can't ride in the summer? I don't know what "they" had in mind, but the writting is on the wall for Camp Mack... Boy Scouts don't use it, it is a cub Scout camp ..Boy Scouts of America are all but Bankrupt....they are logging the camp. Already started off the horseshoe and off Lost Valley look at the spray paint on the trees it's coming. Next will be to sell off the land and build houses. Just thought I would drop this to all that care.

banned
    I just rode there on Friday, entered from Pumping Station. Going in that way there are no signs about permits, only a sign in sheet when you reach Camp Mack property. From the other direction, there have been signs up saying "permits required" for the last year, but every time I call BSA they tell me that no permit is required for hiking or biking, only for hunting. I haven't called since this spring, things may have change since then. Did you get your information from Camp Mack/BSA, or is it just "word on the street?"

I'm not questioning you specifically, there have just been a lot of people with wrong information about the situation. Just wondering what your source is.

-Matt

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude
    We will still not be able to ride June-August or in the fall during hunting season and several weekends during the fall.
    May I ask where you heard this? I've been riding there for 12 years and have never heard about not being able to ride there in the fall / during hunting season. I know about it being closed from June-Aug. but no time other than that.

Paying $50 ride there is absurd. It's unenforceable (not unlike the SGL restrictions). Maybe $20 is acceptable, but donations collected at and by all local bike shops and then given to Camp Mack might be a better alternative? There are certainly many things that could be discussed if given the time. SAMBA has been sucessful in securing access to Gov. Dick in Gretna and we are even doing trail work days there again.

Selective logging is not always a bad thing. If we could get permission to rebuild trails in the logged areas, it could turn things around for Mack.

mtbr member

Camp Mack

I read the e-mail from the people that started it all, saying it was a go with the permit riding at $50. I have called the Scout office in Lancaster several times over the last year asking about the permit use too. They had no clue except that I should call back when things are formalized. I did not here it from any BSA source, and hopefully never will. I just got miffed when I read that someone/group would try and do something like this. I sign in almost everytime I ride there, and if they wanted people involved in something to make the camp better they have a whole list of people and could have posted a sign asking for help.

banned
    I just got off the phone with Bob Steele, Director of Program & Support Services for BSA. According to Mr. Steele, the permitting process is underway, and should be implemented later this fall. Permits will cost $50 anually, $25 semi-anually for mountain biking. Permits will not be required for hiking, I did not ask about horseback riding.

Mr. Steele also informed me that they are keeping a database of names and addresses from the sign in sheet, and will be mailing the permit applications to those who have signed in. I made sure to leave my address with him since I'm sure it is not legible on the sign-in sheet. Permit applications will also be available at local bike shops.

The permits themselves will be some sort of tag that will be attached to the bike. I didn't ask for any more details (i.e sticker, or removable tag).

Also, there are to be some organized IMBA trail maintainence days a couple of times a year. I didn't get any more details about that either, but hopefully that information will be mailed out as well.

You can contact Camp Mack officials here: http://www.padutchbsa.org/directory.htm