banned
    Apr 2009

Camp Mac Questions...

Can anyone tell me about it? I hear they are open/closed. Free/Daily fee??
    What is the trail like? Any Pics?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You should be able to find everything you need here: http://www.sambabiker.com/camp-mack

On the left side in the nav bar under camp mack is a contacts link to email the guy trail coordinator for camp mack if you have any questions not answered by the site. Hope that helps.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

mtbr member
    I am the SAMBA trail coordinator at Mack.

Camp Mack is a Boy Scout camp, that requires a permit ($25) good for 12 months. The permit system is administered by Green Mountain Cyclery (http://www.greenmtncyclery.com/) in Ephrata on behalf of the Scouts.

SAMBA has a good relationship with the land manager (Ranger) and has been eliminating unsustainable trails and replacing with contour trails, with great success.

Matt Myers
    SAMBA
    Trail coordinator- Camp Mack

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's awesome that you guys found a workable solution that keeps trails available to all. But I'm curious. What makes a trail unsustainable? And what's a contour trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    It's awesome that you guys found a workable solution that keeps trails available to all. But I'm curious. What makes a trail unsustainable? And what's a contour trail?
    Generally, unsustainable is anything that will wash away and erode with no one hiking, biking etc. just water running down the trail and taking the dirt with it. The trails at Mack were old logging trails, that went straight up and straight down the hills. A contour trail runs across the fall line of the hill. The IMBA guidelines of trail pitch are no more then 1/2 the slope trail and no more then 15%. This is a short explanation, IMBA.com has some great articles if you want to read more about it.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Thanks.. ALSO are the trails more rocky or smooth?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 247
    Thanks.. ALSO are the trails more rocky or smooth?
    Rocky