Thread: Camel Back

mtbr member

Camel Back

hoping to visit pennsy for the holidays. may go to wolf lodge in poconos. is camelback the best mtbing in the area. is it a good time to go, no hunting/trails open. is it good for 2 days of riding. what other places in the area should i be looking at? i saw there's a lot of mtb in lehigh region, i just think my wife who's not a mtber would get boer over there

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...7_4573crx.aspx
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

mtbr member
    just found this gpx file on the web. this place looks pretty good adjacent to camleback ski area

mtb camalback

EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Pennsylvania

Rob
    Pocono Places to ride :

Camelback (Big Pocono), Glen Park off Collins St in Stroudsburg, Jacobsburg State Park. In Lehigh Valley, Sals (Walking Purchase Park), Lehigh (South Mtn)... and the list goes on.

Looks like a ride is planned for Sunday the 19th @ 3pm probably "Camelback".

http://gpsed.com/track/5630799166031712375

http://gpsed.com/track/5630799165751130083

Or During the week a night ride.... to break in my NEW MACH 5!!!!!
    (probably Tuesday 21st 7:30pm)

Single Track Addict
    If you are interested in a guided ride, hit me up...
    Will ride singletrack for food...

mtbr member
    thanks for the offer

i'm trying to sort out my new mtb. i got an epic comp and the fork on it now has too much travel. i'd like to check out the poconos, but after buying a new frame and 'upgrading' fork. i'm running low and cash. for an expensive holiday

my new epic comp

Single Track Addict
    Fox Float 140 RLC? I don't see the issue! Especially at Camelback!

Where was that pic taken? Looks like some sweet trails.

mtbr member
    PIC IS FROM wild cat ridge wma nj

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60383590

i nay just lower the bars some more, there is about 1 inch spacer under the handlebar stem also the stem can be flipped a few ways

i have a thread on this site 2008 epic comp under specialized, one guy claimeds he would not ride the bike with this set up and after endo todday i am concerned

topo shows drops in elevation

Victim of Saddle Rage
    That's a real nice rig; I'm not sure what issues you have to sort out. There's nothing wrong with riding or training with a 140 fork. Maybe for more XC style rides you should consider different tires? Haven't ridden Camel in years, but last time I did there was some rough DH sections that your Epic would eat up. I rode down under the lifts and struggled with some deep ruts and loose stuff. Didn't find any good XC. If you dig up some good XC, would you mind posting?
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballtrail
    That's a real nice rig; I'm not sure what issues you have to sort out. There's nothing wrong with riding or training with a 140 fork. Maybe for more XC style rides you should consider different tires? Haven't ridden Camel in years, but last time I did there was some rough DH sections that your Epic would eat up. I rode down under the lifts and struggled with some deep ruts and loose stuff. Didn't find any good XC. If you dig up some good XC, would you mind posting?
    i have a one inch spacer under stem, i'd like to lower that first before swapping out the fork, i paid a lot extra to subsidized the busted fork i traded in.

i have an additonal wheel set with skinnier tires 2" in front 1.85" in back. its the stock wheel set from my yukon and i keep it for rides that have a larger amount of tarmac than woods, ie i'm biking over10 miles on the street

at this point i got in 4 mtb rides on my vacatoion

canonball
    ringwood
    hi mtn- canon ball
    wild cat ridge

camalback seems preety close to jersey on 80 so i definately check it out sooner i later. i have a feeling though next week i may just o to allaire, as i can get a motel there for 60 dolla a night. great wolf is 300.albeit my wife wants to send back the blue ray i wanted to give her. she never throws crap away but when she get gives she wants to return it

i won a snow board last year. i may call camel back and see what activities they have and maybe go to camle back w/mtb too

Single Track Addict
    What bike were you riding before?

How much front travel are you used to?

Is the (New) fork set up properly?

What exactly is causing you to doubt the viability of this length of travel?

Where in NJ is Wild Cat Ridge?

I work in Northern NJ, in Wharton, near the Rockaway Mall. If you are riding nearby perhaps we could meet up and ride together.

I had no idea GWL was so expensive to stay at! 300/ night is NOT chump change!

-Chris

mtbr member
    wild cat is same town you work rock away nj, i caught the trail head on green pond rd

i did the little loop on the left twice, 1st time i had the endo, went back and finally made it to the ridge/overlook, was thinking about cjhecking it out but was pressed for time, was heading to lewis morris, then checked mtbnj and made it to the trail head, phone lost signal, then my delorne was not charged, on top of that i forgot my helmet, and although i often have 2 oin the car (one w/ a light) it was a recipe for disater

also heard shot gun shells every 10 minutes or so, after seeing hunters out of there boundaries in ramapo on saturay, i thought maybe i'm safer riding the roads

after the ride seeing a roadie on green pond fighting off the traffic in hind sight i was happy i road in the woods yesterday

i had a pimped out yukon fx w/rlc 100 mm

juicy brakes, sram x9 moved to the epic

my mechanic is top shelf, even though he can make a good rube goldberg, he take pride in putting together quality bikes, hi end clean bikes, pride in his work

moved the gears over to the epic now have a 140 rlc

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmacman
    i have an additonal wheel set with skinnier tires 2" in front 1.85" in back. its the stock wheel set from my yukon and i keep it for rides that have a larger amount of tarmac than woods, ie i'm biking over10 miles on the street
    Prob' no need to swap the fork, many of the Fox forks are travel-adjustable with spacers that are internal, so you would be able to reduce the full-length stroke of your 140 down to a lot less if desired. There's surely a lower limit but I'm betting you'd be able to down as far as 100mm if you wanted.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    If you find some riding at Wild Cat otherwise known as Split Rock, would you mind posting a gpx? I spent a day exploring in 2008 and ended up shouldering the bike for miles. There are good fire roads, but the singletrack is mostly hiking/trail conference routes that I couldn't ride and I'll usually ride almost anything. I've heard that there are good trails and people have been riding there for years, but I am not sure where. The park doesn't seem to get the attention that other riding spots in Jersey receive.

If you won a Board go up to Hunter. I hear they have snow this year. Skiing and boarding are there to stop you from overtraining on the mt bike.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    here's my ride from yesterday

i have a camper nearr windham and my sibling lives at belle ayre. i have my camper for 15 years so i like a change of going to poconos. went to shawnee about 11 years when i got engaged

i only won a board no bindings. i stated xc skiing again last year. hope to check out some new trails/ no doubt pennsy has some

wild cat take the white trail from green pond up to the top of ridge. from the garmin you can see other ways to get in and out closer to split rock. i think i could do a tourne to wild cat one day

Single Track Addict
    how the hell did you hit 50MPH?

If you change your mind about riding out here, just give me a holler... I'll be riding all winter unless the snow get's too deep.

Keep in mind, Camelback is "only" about 50 minutes from Rockaway (Exit 34).

mtbr member
    the max speed is often off when i record using the droid. wild cat was definately recorded on the droid as my delorne was not charged properply

i hope to get out to camelback one day. i actually caught a flu bug a couple of days ago. today we got a fair amount of sn live ow here in north jersey