poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007

Callin' all Erie Riders! Asbury Cleanup? Maybe?

Hello anybody from Erie or nearby.

It has come to my attention that Asbury is lookin pretty shabby near the picnic pavilion and in many areas along the trails within the park boundaries. I t might be a good thing for the Local group of riders to organize a trail and park cleanup. This would really make an impact on the apearance of the park and relations with the township and asbury reserve.

I would volunteer to do alot of the calling and leg work, but if any one is interested let me know and i will make the effort to schedule it and get the work recognized by the park.

I plan on posting a small sheet and brief about the idea at the park bulletin board.

Please give me some feedback.
    Keep Your Scene Tight!
    Grow your trails long not wide.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Keep us updated here. If I am available on whatever the date is going to be, I'll help.

Disc Golfin Mountainbiker
    Are you talking just being overgrown / general trail maint? Or trash buildup from the mup'ears? I haven't been out there since last year. Weekends are bad for me, and I'm bike-less at the moment, but I could swing out that way on a weeknight. Keep us informed.

poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007

... and if we just ... Clean It Up.

Alright! A few responses.

I'm not looking to blame the litter on anybody but it needs to be cleaned up.

The tenative date is Wednesday August 27th at 6:00 PM.
    It gets dark quick so try to be early. It would be sweet if people brought bags and gloves.

I will post any updates here. Thanks for the interest.
    Keep Your Scene Tight!

poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007

Good job! Its Official

I was able to get ahold of the Millcreek Parks Maintenance division this morning and the clean up is officially coordinated with Millcreek Township. They want us to put the garbage in the dumpster in the large parking lot and the recyclables in clear bags in a seperate dumpter near the maintenance office.

This is a really great opportunity for the local mountain bikers to get on great terms with the township so lets not blow it. It would be great if we could get strong participation and results to match.

The township is now providing both bags so its up to us for gloves and manpower.
    Keep Your Scene Tight!

I'll try to be there by 6, if I can get our of work early, but if I can't, I'll still be out there a couple days with trash bag in hand. My new bike should be arriving by the end of the week and is a great way to break it in, by cleaning up the park.

-Jay

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Poormtnbkr
    Alright! A few responses.

I'm not looking to blame the litter on anybody but it needs to be cleaned up.

The tenative date is Wednesday August 27th at 6:00 PM.
    It gets dark quick so try to be early. It would be sweet if people brought bags and gloves.

I will post any updates here. Thanks for the interest.
    I will not be able to drive up that day from Pittsburgh, as I have Thursday and Friday off, but would love to participate in this in the future.

Thank you to all of you who are participating, and for strengthening ties with Millcreek township. Some of my best biking memories lie in those woods.

mtbr member
    you know i'm there, provided im not working till 9 that night...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    The wheelsize argument is not a "hydraulic vs cable brake" argument, its a "formula vs shimano brake" argument.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I went running at Asbury yesterday (Sunday) along with my son who rode his 20" MTB. I only saw one small pile of trash by the creek. It looked like someone gathered it up and was going to come back and get it all. Other than that the trail was pretty clean. We were on the trails west of Asbury Road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Crap! I wish I would have seen this thread sooner! I'd love to get to meet you all and get a chance to check out the trails at Asbury but I already have a committment that night!

Make sure you post pics after it's done!

-Josh

poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007

... and if we just ... Tomorrow be there

The majority of the trash cleanup will probably take place in the woods right around the pavilion/playground area. This seems to be where racoons and wind stash the litter. If we get this area clean then we will break into groups and head down different trails(which are pretty clean). Never hesitate to haul out what you see while you are riding.

The park is very thankful for our assistance and i will be meeting the maintenance supervisor for parks and recreation today to pick-up our bags, and ask what he would like to see done at the park.

Has anyone ever met,or know the names of any of the surrounding private landowners to Asbury? Especially west of the park along Walnut Creek.
    Keep Your Scene Tight!

Trying my best to be there tonight. Truck is getting inspected and worked on today and not sure I can be there by 6. If not, I'll be out there this weekend cleaning up whatever I see. Thanks to everyone coming out to help out and a big thanks to poormtnbkr. Haven't met you before, but sure I will one of these days. Keep us informed of any future maint days.

Update: Sorry, just got the bad news... truck needs extensive work and won't have back until tomorrow afternoon, so I won't be able to make it out tonight. I WILL be out there this long weekend. Let me know what you guys get to or any areas that you see needs additional work.

PS - If anyone is passing thru Shades Beach area and could pick me up, I could come help out tonight. PM me.
    Last edited by jra146psu; 08-27-2008 at 07:49 AM.

poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007

Well, I gave it a shot.

First of all a big round of thanks to everyone who helped, (pat my own back here) which was noone.

That was really dissappointing but, despite the lack of interest alot of trash was picked up.
    Since, nobody saw it happed make sure you look left and right as you enter the trails to catch the results.

I guess since it was the first time i tried to organize something like this i cant expect much, and it won't be the last so look for more postings here and at local shops and the park itself. Hopefully the next time there will be more interest and maybe even a different project. We'll see.

If you have any ideas on areas that need maintenance or cleanup on the trail system or at the park let me know.

Thanks.
    Keep Your Scene Tight!

mtbr member
    Sorry buddy, got tied up at work...again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    The wheelsize argument is not a "hydraulic vs cable brake" argument, its a "formula vs shimano brake" argument.

I'll be out there sun or mon, with backpack full of garbage.

mtbr member
    wow I didnt see this thread till today. poormtbkr you said you talked to Millcreek Parks Maintenance division they really need to add some more trash bens or bigger ones. I was out there last weekend doing some night riding when I came across the bens by the browns barn over filled with trash and the best part racoons had gotten in to them. I stoped and cleaned up what I could. if any one dose this again please let me, know you can e-mail me at jeeptree@hotmail.com