Thread: The Burg

mtbr member

The Burg

So I might be moving to pittsburgh. Whats the riding like? Whats the winter riding like? Whats the best place to live in the burgh so I can ride after work?

Thanks,
    -Joe

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    you should ask over on the boards at:

www.dirtragmag.com

good mtb magazine outta pittsburgh run by good peeps! i know they put on a winter ride (punk bike enduro) every year. i hope to make it out for that this year!

mtbr member
    First of all, if you plan on us accepting you should you move here, never call it "the burg". Steeler Nation would be a suitable alternative

Anyway, Pittsburgh has got some great riding. 2 or 3 major parks up North, Frick in the city, etc. We've also got a great club, http://www.porcmtbclub.org . Check out that site for ride times, pics, etc.

The winter riding is fair. It's rideable but sometimes it's pretty damn cold. Like mentioned before, the Punk Bike Enduro is held in the deepest part of winter. Check out PORC's photo galleries for some pics from it. It's intense

Night riding is also good. At North Park, most of the trees have small reflectors nailed in specifically for night rides. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Don't forget about Hillman State Park. Proabably some of the best single track in the area. But you'll look like you were in a fight with a pack of cats after riding there.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys.

I don't have a problem with cold... so thats cool. Does the snow stay on the ground for weeks at a time or does it melt out pretty quick?

Thanks,
    -Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjoex
    Thanks for the info guys.

I don't have a problem with cold... so thats cool. Does the snow stay on the ground for weeks at a time or does it melt out pretty quick?

Thanks,
    -Joe
    90% of the time we get snow it melts within a couple days. if your in the northern part of the state or the laurel highlands area the snow will stay on the grond longer. this past winter was very mild, it was 50 degrees during most of january.

mtbr member
    Yeah, whenever we get snow it usually rains the very next day so snow doesn't stay around very long. Those mentioned parks are probably the best near Pittsburgh, but there's many others not too far from there if you need some variety. Once you do move and get your bearings about where counties are look at the trail reviews link and look for parks and such that aren't too far from where you live.

If you want to ride after work, it would be best to live or work near one of the parks where you can ride. You can live in pretty much any part of town and find a place to live that's close to a park that allows riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    if you are going to work in the city the best option is to live near frick park. You can ride one of the better parks in the city after work and get downtown in 15 minutes.

take a look at http://www.porcmtbclub.org/location.html
    it is a listing of most of the riding areas in pittsburgh and you can get a good idea of their locations relative to your work.

oh and the winters here? they suck. most of the time it's cold and slush, when we are lucky it freezes and the studs go on the bikes so we can pedal around on the ice. honestly the winters in pittsburgh are pretty much ass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Winters

Totally agree with pghmtnbiker. winters here blow for riding. I ski in the back country, which i like just as much, so it doesn't bother me. I live near 7 springs. But riding here in the winter is snow, ice or mud. Horrible...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I live right down the road from north park , i ride their alost everyday at least for an hour or so. Its great riding all over.