mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Building a Freeride park at my house...

I'm Working on building a Freeride park at my house, I have 2.5 wooded acres to work with and a pretty steep hill, my driveway works as a nice "fire road" for getting back to the top. I had 80 ton of Dirt delivered, collected 2 tons of basketball sized rocks, picked up a bunch of broken concrete and received a bunch of used lumber from Green Mountain Cyclery (thanks Mike and Zach!) Here's a few Pics, looking for a bunch of ideas for building obstacles and features. please share if you have any tips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a Freeride park at my house...-bankeddownhill.jpg  

Building a Freeride park at my house...-bankedturn.jpg  

Building a Freeride park at my house...-trail-plan.jpg  

Building a Freeride park at my house...-bridge1s.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    BTW i do know there's a building forum with lots of great ideas, just figured i'd try to keep it a PA thing Since all of you know the typical forest terrain here..

mtbr member
    Nice job and with the acreage you'll be able to put in some nice features. Here's a couple of shots of the ramps and wooden berm that I put up this summer along with a flapper teeter at my friends house. Hope the pictures give you a few ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a Freeride park at my house...-berm-wall.jpg  

Building a Freeride park at my house...-ladders.jpg  

Building a Freeride park at my house...-bagley-flapper.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks! that's awesome! Do you have any pics of the back of that wood berm? I'd like to build a series of those down one of the steeper trails.. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Thanks, I kind of built it as I went without any real plans. There was a lot of head scratching to get the angles of the vertical decking boards right and ended up cutting and screwing in shims. The one pictured is 30 feet (I've added on on additional section at the end) from beginning to end with an apex height of 4 feet and a 45 degree angle. Make the upright boards longer than you think you'll need especially if the radius of the turn is tight. A little lapse in judgement or a little daydreaming can send you up and over the edge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a Freeride park at my house...-wood-berm-skeleton-1.jpg  

Building a Freeride park at my house...-wood-berm-skeleton-2.jpg  

my church is the woods
    DrunkenDemo: Looks like you have a good start there. Is your map you posted existing trails or your future plan? I have lots of experience building and riding obstacles, and I'd maybe be willing to come help out, depending on how far away you are from me. What part of Lancaster are you? send me a PM if you don't want to publicly list where you live. I could show you some stuff around Gretna on private land that we've built some short DH runs with stunts, you could get some ideas from that maybe.

mtbr member
    That's freakin' sweet! I wish we had a freeride park in our yard.. or at least a yard to speak of! lol.. Nice job! Good luck with the progression.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Those trails look sweet! you should organize some build/ride days.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the feed back, the trail plan represents the trails i have cut in and 90% are ridable. most still need the loam scraped off and built up but we do have some dirt jumps, 3 40+ ft shaved logs, the bridge shown above and a 6ft drop off already put in. I'll probably do another work party after the spring thaw. And hopefully build some wood berms (thanks to Trail6 for the awesome examples)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    awesome! i'd be happy to make the drive from west chester to swing some shovels and hump some dirt. good work sir!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by name_dropper
    awesome! i'd be happy to make the drive from west chester to swing some shovels and hump some dirt. good work sir!

Me too, always glad to help out and learn some building techniques. Give us all a heads up when you need some extra hands.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'll help too.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks! I'll keep this thread and keep everyone in mind, always looking for some hands and ideas,Def looking at a work day after the spring thaw.. i always cook and there's usually plenty of beer (note the Guinness in the wheelbarrow) I'm travelling back from Africa tonight.. I'll get back to those who sent me PM's when i get to Paris, Cheers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    here's some pics of one of the dropoffs (my porch) we've since cleared the landing and build a bit of a landing slope. it's about a 6 foot drop. going to continue it to another drop that meets up with one of the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a Freeride park at my house...-dropoff2.jpg  

Building a Freeride park at my house...-dropoff3.jpg  

SC Blur, Spec Enduro and Spec Demo 8... they don't make me a better rider but they sure make me have fun!

mtbr member
    I can see somebody attempting a wall ride on your house.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugbyroy
    I can see somebody attempting a wall ride on your house.
    I've considered it... the window is in the way though. I guess i could easily cover it with plywood for a ride day though and remove it afterwards.
    SC Blur, Spec Enduro and Spec Demo 8... they don't make me a better rider but they sure make me have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRunKenDemo
    here's some pics of one of the dropoffs (my porch) we've since cleared the landing and build a bit of a landing slope. it's about a 6 foot drop. going to continue it to another drop that meets up with one of the trails.
    Looks like a tight fit with the tree, it'll be a good way to practice your sniper landings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6
    Looks like a tight fit with the tree, it'll be a good way to practice your sniper landings.
    There's actually about 10 ft between the house and the tree, it's not too bad when you land, none of us have had issues yet.. I'll post some pics up off the landing now.

I was hoping to do some trail work but damn did it get cold... hope it warms up a little, it's hard to do anything with frozen ground.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Where are you located at? My buddy and I are from the Lancaster area and would be up for helping build/riding!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    YES! Awesome work!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm not Far from Strasburg.. PM your contact info and i'll send you mine so i can keep a contact list of people who are up for helping and also so we can organize some rides around the area. Heading up to ride Pagoda today around 3

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

finally got my Demo 8 Frame and did the build today!!!

I keep telling people i'm going to take this and do a Satan's Sleigh run on Xmas day, they always say "don't you mean Santa's Sleigh" I reply, "not the way i do it!"

mtbr member
    DD, how are your trails looking? The new ride looks awesome!
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Wow, thats some awesome stuff! Looks like fun
    bunnyhopbikes.com
    morewoodbikes.com