mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Boyce Park 1/31/10

Here's a few pics from our ride at Boyce today. Temperature might have barely made it to freezing today, so everything was frozen solid, with a nice layer of packed powder on top. Finally starting to learn my way around there, so many trails and intersections it's taken a while to figure it out. Really nice twisty trails, whoever figures that stuff out really has the illness. Saw a few tracks, but no one else riding. Kinda surprised, there are usually a few folks out there.
    IM000979
    IM000983
    IM000984
    IM000986
    IM000981
    IM000982

ride more
    Mar 2007
    nice pics, looks like a good time.

mtbr member

You still have some snow.....

...on the ground out there. Where is Boyce Park located? Must have been a nice ride with all the sunshine today. Thanks for the post. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Sweet pics
    Last edited by jonz; 02-01-2010 at 04:32 AM.

Gravity's Gone
    Great pix. Thanx for posting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Boyce is an Allegheny County park, kinda between Plum Boro, Monroeville and Murrysville. I've been told there are 25+ miles of trails there and I believe it. It's a twisty mess of trails, almost all singletrack. I still can't figure it out. Good fun.

Dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by daveg66
    Boyce is an Allegheny County park, kinda between Plum Boro, Monroeville and Murrysville. I've been told there are 25+ miles of trails there and I believe it. It's a twisty mess of trails, almost all singletrack. I still can't figure it out. Good fun.

Dave
    There is easily 25+ miles of trails there. It takes some time to learn all the trails but once you start piecing together the park it is a blast. Just explore any trail you come to, it is hard to get lost there, eventually the trails will lead you back to a place you recognize. There are no official trail names (except the outer loop), but some of the better trails/features are the half pipe, the wall, & the roller coaster.

Most of the trails are on the soccer field side of Pearson Run Rd. There are some more trails above & around the model airplane field. The nature center trails are above & to the right of the ski slopes. And there is another section of trails around the wave pool.

Hope this helps some.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    daveg, do you mean this park?

Life is Good
    Nice pics, love Boyce!

I've always loved the log ride/berm that you have posted in your 3rd pic.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    bear,
    Yeah, that's the place.

Dave

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    i'm going to have to make an Extreme Field Trip sometime.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Thanks for the pixels!

Boyce is always fun, and your right lot's of twistys. I don't think I ever rode the same trail twice, I might have been going the other direction though...LOL

Reminds me of the Asbury Woods in Erie Pa

Life is Good
    Anyone been up to Boyce Park lately? I was considering heading out there this weekend and was wondering what the conditions were. The snow has been melting at a pretty steady clip now, but I'm worried it might be too sloppy.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Judd97
    Anyone been up to Boyce Park lately? I was considering heading out there this weekend and was wondering what the conditions were. The snow has been melting at a pretty steady clip now, but I'm worried it might be too sloppy.
    Ya, that would be great as I might be heading out that way this weekend.

SLIPPY IS GOOD!

ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have not been over that way, but I would not expect Boyce to be too good this weekend. My experience has been that it stays wet there longer than other local areas. Of course, if you know your way around, you could probably avoid the really muddy areas. I was at Deer Lakes hiking last week and got into knee deep snow in some areas. Even with the warmer temps, I can't imagine it will all be gone. Not sure what we are going to try this week. Apollo maybe, it's usually decent when everywhere else is a mess.

Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I rode 10 miles at Boyce yesterday. It has dried pretty well but the lower trails were still a bit muddy especially near the creeks. Looks like some trail maintenance has been done. There are a few downed trees that have been cut or made into new log piles. Some of the bridges/crossings are in need of attention. Especially the one right near the archery range. It looks like the recent flooding has widened and washed it out.

Life is Good
    Figured I'd resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one but...

I got out to Boyce today for a ride and I figured I'd post a photo or two of the conditions so anyone else who is possibly considering a trip out there would know what to expect:

Temp got up to about 25-30 while I was there, but it felt good with the sun shining. XC skiers have most of the trails packed down nice, but if you slip out of their tracks then you get bogged down in crusty snow pretty quickly.

'Sposed to warm up here in the next week or so, so these conditions might not last too long