mtbr member

Bottom bracket/pedal problems. Advice?

So I'm riding along. All of the sudden I go to put my foot on the pedal and it not there. Well, its there? Just hanging right next to the pedal on the other side. Tightened it back up, continued. Had to do that twice. I'm new into bike mechanics. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    looks to me like you broke the bottom brachet . need a new one .

my church is the woods
    helpful hint:

(visit your local bike shop!)

mtbr member
    Hard to tell if the crank arm is shot or not but the bb don't look too hot! Looks like its time for an upgrade!
    Last edited by t0pcat; 07-07-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    It's really too dirty / gunked up to tell from the photo.

If the crank arm fixing bolt isn't holding, and has taken time to walk out, you may have "wallowed out" the crankarm - which means it's time for a new crankset - because the inside of the crankarm will never allow the bolt to hold it properly.

BB spindles don't usually deform because they are harder metal, however they can be damaged.

IF the BB is still spinning smooth and not rocking in the frame then it is likely fine, but if you're replacing crankarms it's probably worth the extra few bucks to replace the BB at the same time.

Many newer cranksets come with BB bearings though, so that makes it more simple.

Extraction of old-style BB and installation of new BB all require special, and different, tools. Don't "hack" it. If you don't want to buy the tools then pay your LBS for the work, please.

My advice is to get it to an LBS you trust and have them help you out.

Bummer though.

mtbr member
    Once it's bolted back in, it feels fine. But it does eventually back out again. it definitely has broken metal where the grooves of the crank slide into the bb assembly. I guess I may have to replace/upgrade the whole thing :-).

And I will be having my lbs take a look. It's just always nice to get some help from the local friends here as well! Thank you guys for the responses!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathangeiman View Post
    Once it's bolted back in, it feels fine. But it does eventually back out again. it definitely has broken metal where the grooves of the crank slide into the bb assembly. I guess I may have to replace/upgrade the whole thing :-).
    Sounds like you need new kit, to me. It happens.

FWIW, I'd find it tough to think of a better value option than the appropriate Shimano SLX crankset; they come 10spd, 9spd, 3x, 2xBASH, whatever. They come WITH bottom bracket. If you shop around you should be able to find a new one under $200, maybe close to $100. Installation would be extra of course.

Do some surfing to get the going prices before you talk to your LBS though, but ask them what "installed price" is as they're adding a lot of value to the situation in doing the change for you.

Also, fair warning, with new chainrings - depending upon wear level of your current chain and rear cassette, you may need/want to change those out too in order to prevent driveline issues. Extra money, but it's better than crazy behavior or a wierd breakdown on the trail.

mtbr member
    No problems there, new chain and rear cassette about 30 miles ago.

sr1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i will do the work for $50... very easy to do...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffgrrl View Post
    looks to me like you broke the bottom brachet . need a new one .
    Nothing that I see in that photo definitively leads me to that conclusion. What is your rationale?

Wizard of the Trail
    I doubt the BB is gone, but the crank probably is. You have a steel BB and aluminum crank arms. Which is weaker? Like bear said, it looks wallowed out and needs replacing if it won't stay tight. That said, it's not hard to do. Save your money by buying the tools and parts and do it yourself. You will need a crank puller and a BB tool if the BB is in need of replacing. Not sure where your from, but I would give you a lesson for free if your close by. Also, pick up a torque wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Carlisle, we could make a morning of it and then ride! I could also come to you and then we could ride!

Wizard of the Trail
    Your about 2/2.5 hours away from me. Do you want to drive that far? If you get the tools, I can talk you through it. Also, Park's website has tutorials as well.

mtbr member
    Took it into COLES BIKE SHOP in Carlisle. You can't go wrong here. Unless you want full suspension. BIKES AND GUNS IN THE SAME STORE! They fixed me up good. cleaned off the crank, cleaned off the bottom bracket, no major damage. And put the crank back on. We're good to go! Thanks for all your help!

Wizard of the Trail
    My kind of place! Glad your up and running.

mtbr member
    They didn't replace anything, nothing was majorly damaged so they cleaned it up a little and put it back together. as the bolt backed itself out (i will be checking these every so often) i pedaled and snapped off just a hair of the splines. no biggie, there is still alot left to grab.

Wizard of the Trail
    Cool. Just edited my post. I need to read the whole post. Lol

don't tread on me
    Jun 2004
    You may want to frequently double check the security of that left crank arm. (Grab it and rock, in and out towards the center of the bike) The press fit tolerances are no longer present after the arm came off twice. Even if it's been properly re-installed and torqued.

Good news is that if it's a current-ish model crank, there's a solid chance that just the left crank arm can be ordered for a very reasonable amount.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldog View Post
    You may want to frequently double check the security of that left crank arm. (Grab it and rock, in and out towards the center of the bike) The press fit tolerances are no longer present after the arm came off twice. Even if it's been properly re-installed and torqued.

Good news is that if it's a current-ish model crank, there's a solid chance that just the left crank arm can be ordered for a very reasonable amount.
    +1 I check my cranks for looseness each ride. I will usually find something loose after a very rocky ride with pedal strikes. I wallowed out a race face prodigy crank once. Got into that habit after that.

mtbr member
    Buy some blue locktite at a local auto parts shop, apply same to the bolt that holds that crankarm on. Retorque & ride with confidence.

OR - upgrade!!!! (Pardon - I mean "Upgraydde")

I had an isis crankset that did the same thing.

PS - mechanical failures on your bike are properly viewed as opportunities to pick up the correct tools so that you can fix it yourself for free next time. I picked up the tool kit below + a park stand (+ a few tools I had before) & have what I need for most repairs, building up a bike, etc.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...45_-1___400154

Bikes are not difficult at all to work on & you will do a better job of fixing your own bike than someone who's doing it for $10/hr.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    Buy some blue locktite at a local auto parts shop, apply same to the bolt that holds that crankarm on. Retorque & ride with confidence.

OR - upgrade!!!! (Pardon - I mean "Upgraydde")

I had an isis crankset that did the same thing.

PS - mechanical failures on your bike are properly viewed as opportunities to pick up the correct tools so that you can fix it yourself for free next time. I picked up the tool kit below + a park stand (+ a few tools I had before) & have what I need for most repairs, building up a bike, etc.

Spin Doctor Team 33 Tool Kit - Tool Kits and Sets

Bikes are not difficult at all to work on & you will do a better job of fixing your own bike than someone who's doing it for $10/hr.
    Thanks for the link to the tool kit! I just use my hitch mount bike rack ratchet strapped to the support pole in our basement for a stand!