Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

BOTTOM BRACKET HEIGHT in PA

Fellow riders of Pennsylvania, what is your BB height (if you know) and do you encounter pedal strikes?

I'm looking at a bike with a relatively low BB height, the Norco Sight Carbon has a BB height of 13.3". I've ridden the alloy Sight at Allgrippis, and didn't have any problem, but that is relatively smooth compared to the rocks of other places in Southeast PA.

Anyone regret their low BB bike?
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Fellow riders of Pennsylvania, what is your BB height (if you know) and do you encounter pedal strikes?

I'm looking at a bike with a relatively low BB height, the Norco Sight Carbon has a BB height of 13.3". I've ridden the alloy Sight at Allgrippis, and didn't have any problem, but that is relatively smooth compared to the rocks of other places in Southeast PA.

Anyone regret their low BB bike?
    Carbon with a low BB in PA is looking for trouble. The rocks around here could cause some serious damage. That Norco is really sweet looking but I don't know. I would be afraid to take that to a place like High Rocks or Bear Creak - not to mention some place in Jim Thorpe or Rothrock...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just get a bike with an ISCG mount and get something like this:

Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | XCG

Problem solved. I like never research BB heights when I purchase bikes, have no issues with pedal strikes or anything.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Just get a bike with an ISCG mount and get something like this:

Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | XCG

Problem solved. I like never research BB heights when I purchase bikes, have no issues with pedal strikes or anything.
    Your chainrings are one thing, your nice carbon BB area is another!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah but I've never had a BB strike with that thing on. I have a '12 Transition Bandit 29 (alloy) and I ride Bear Creek weekly, and other chunky trails. My LBS owner has a Stumpy FSR 29 carbon EVO with a low BB and he rallys the crap out of that thing- he has one of these things down over his BB and lower part of the down tube.

I dunno, these bikes are made for that type of terrain, and yeah carbon can get hit with rocks, but I won't stress it if I had an ISCG bash guard and some sort of thick adhesive protector.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Yeah but I've never had a BB strike with that thing on. I have a '12 Transition Bandit 29 (alloy) and I ride Bear Creek weekly, and other chunky trails. My LBS owner has a Stumpy FSR 29 carbon EVO with a low BB and he rallys the crap out of that thing- he has one of these things down over his BB and lower part of the down tube.

I dunno, these bikes are made for that type of terrain, and yeah carbon can get hit with rocks, but I won't stress it if I had an ISCG bash guard and some sort of thick adhesive protector.
    You have a point. I am starting to remember those videos from Santa Cruz where they hit the carbon frame with a hammer.

mtbr member
    I ride a prophet in free ride position only which creates a BB height right around 13" but I'm fine with it and ride lots of rocks in SEPA. (rattling creek, gretna, rocky ridge, etc.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My RM slayer supposedly has a BB height of 13.85", and I almost never hit my frame on anything, but my bash hits many things, but only hard hits on logs. I do get pedal strikes too, but not too many.

I never really wish my BB height was higher, but I am glad it isn't lower.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    You have a point. I am starting to remember those videos from Santa Cruz where they hit the carbon frame with a hammer.
    I thiiiiink, based on my limited knowledge of carbon, that with the amount of beefiness most carbon trailbikes have at that junction, you have to worry more about chips in the carbon than cracking from it taking a massive load during a hit. But the chips I suspect can lead to bigger problems down the road, so that's why I'd do one of those faux leather strips
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've got a carbon Rocky Mtn Element and on paper is supposed to be 13.5". I do get pedal strikes but I've never had any BB hits. I ride mostly Moon Lake, Moosic, Rocky Ridge, French Creek and JT.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a Spearfish, which has a very low bb, and I haven't had any issues. Pedal strike, here and there.... but never BB shell striking.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    My Yeti SB95 has about the same BB as OP's bike and I certainly had to adjust a bit to prevent excessive pedal strikes. I'd swear the bb height of my Yeti is lower than that of my Niner hard-tail (MCR9), certainly it can be when over half into suspension compression.

I don't have many strikes though, and it didn't take me long to adjust, but I'd consider a lower frame guard reasonable and my bike has a bash guard to protect the chainring.

My cranks looked like they've been attacked by rock wolverines though. Never get black ano cranks, I'd be happier with silver as I wouldn't notice the scratches.