mtbr member
    May 2006

Blue Rocks Campground

Need a geography lesson!

I'm from the Philly area and when we go away for a weekend of camping/riding it is usually to Jim Thorpe. A buddy set the trip up this time at the Blue Rocks Campground. I am not familiar with the area.

Is there any good places to ride close by? If there isn't I ain't goin. The wife starts to breath fire if I plan too many trips so I want to get some good rides in too.

The trip is June 6-8.

Thanks for the help.

John
    A poor man can only afford the best.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    take your road bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you like riding around the campground, bring your bike or go to Jim Thorpe yourself. I'm going with a group that same weekend for a camping/biking trip. A little further west out Rt 78 from where you'll be. Check out SAMBA's website, www.sambabiker.com.

---
    Jan 2007
    Been there a couple of times camping and hiking. The AT runs just north of the campground and connector trails run right into the campground. It's not riding but ridgeline hiking isn't all bad either with some great views of the valley below.

edit: little more info http://www.harpweb.com/thepinnacle/index.html
    lockring not included - mandatory blog link in the signature

mtbr member
    They used to let you ride alont the AT up there but not anymore. There are some trails near the firetower (weiser state forest) and along the hamburg reservoir. Make sure you stay away from the east side of the mountain. There are some crazy hicks that live along the dirt roads there. One place in particular they are VERY unfriendly and even violent toward outsiders.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the replys.
    I don't mind driving 45 minutes to an hour to find some quality riding. With that being said where is the can't miss riding 45-60 minutes from Blue Rocks?

jdinsj I checked of the the link and will research those spots first. Do you have any recommendations?

I will definitely do some hiking too.

Thanks

John

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You should just stay home and drive to French Creek its probably closer to you there. You could also ride Blue Marsh. It has 31 miles of trail. One single loop around the lake, not very technical like Jim Thorpe. French Creek is more technical like Jim Thorpe. Blue Marsh is closer than FC from blue rocks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was thinking about blue marsh. I have never been there so I will research some previous threads. The guys I'm going with are in good shape but not into the real technical (rocky) stuff so it might be better for them.

Any other suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated!

John

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I don't have any suggestions for you. It would have been my first time there. But as of yesterday, my plans for that weekend may have to change. I broke the frame of my Cannondale Prophet. Split open the bottom bracket shell while riding at Gloucester County College pre-riding for today's race. Keswick Cycles hooked me up with a rental for the day. Might have to piece together my old Spec. Rockhopper HT for the trip.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    jdinsj Sorry to hear about your bike. Hopefully you can get things straightened out ASAP.

It looks like I'm heading to Blue Marsh unless someone can change my mind.

Keswick Cycle is right down the street from work and I stop in threre once and awhile nice place.

John

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You can ride the blacktop a few miles west to the Hamburg Reservoir and get on lots of fireroads, very little singletrack though. You can ride to the Pinnacle, Pulpit Rock (which overlooks the Blue Rocks Campground), Port Clinton FireTower, Hawk Mountain, Eckville and ride along the Little Schuylkill River between Drehrsville and Rt61. Many miles of fireroads, some back tracking required to see all the above mentioned sights and tons and tons of climbing. There is a good map on the kiosk at the parking area, take a good digital picture and use it for your ride.

Swatara is great, about 7.5 miles of singletrack, you can add the railtrail and Old State Rd loop for another 13 or so miles.

About 30 minutes east you have all the Lehigh Valley stuff like Salisbury, Jordon, South Mtn, Lehigh, etc.

Enjoy the ride.
    Mike