Spring! Spring! Spring!

Blue Mountain / Bald Eagle

I'm too tired for the normal writeup, but something has to be said.

Saturday was all about gravity. And now screwing up. Me, Chriffer, David & Amy went down and had a pretty good day at Blue Mountain. Weather was prime, trails were dry - almost dusty - and fast.

Crashes happened. Things broke. Things were fixed. Amy cooked a fabulously appreciated luncheon. Drops cleared. Sunburn burned. Sadly, Amy had to return early but the boys got a couple more hours in before heading back home.

I feel that Blue has progressed nicely since last year and while it's surely not Diablo it's a fun place to ride. The jump park scares me. The jumps there are simply too far out of my league to try. I can get up onto the tables but I doubt I'll be looking to clear any of them. The stuff out on the "Super D" course is another matter entirely though, building that up a bit more with more rhythm connections would be a great ball of fun - it would be very similar to one of my favorites at Diablo. All the rest of the tweaks, compared to last year, I found a lot of fun and good change. On the way home the boys stopped at the pizza place in Palmerton and ate two days worth of molten cheese on bread. Mmmmm.

Sunday was another game altogether.

Chriffer and I headed out and got riding at the severely early crack of 10:30am, heading out from a parking area by the lake at Halfway Dam, in RB Winter State Park, deep in Bald Eagle State Forest. This was our "penance" day of riding uphill to balance (karmically - or was it comically) our DH on Saturday.

We did a sort of counter-clockwise exploration of the area, using trail maps that I found online (thank anonymous sources, and also the Nittany MTB people). We pieced together a ride that encompassed every possible type of forest road, and quite a few miles of singletrack. Some if with Quality Chunkiness - particularly to these two rigid-bike riding fools.

There were heart-breaking climbs, back-breaking descents, brake-overheating-braking descents (Chriffer "blued" one of his rotors), huge predator birds, teeny chipmonks, fabulous vistas, fast stuff, pavement, Amish horse-cart land-mine avoidance, blimps, flats, fixes, wheelies, and even an ice-cream-n-snack stop in the middle (okay - not the middle, more like at the 75%) to help encourage us to finish.

We returned to RB after 9.5 hours elapsed time and consuming on the order of 230 oz of fluids (each), took a swim in the CHILLY waters of the lake that felt SOO GOOD and then blasted on home.

Mission complete, and looking forward to our next adventure to number in the second half of the "centenarian" scale of cycling.

I've been meaning to check out Bald Eagle / RB Winter for some time, but suspected that it was alot of fire roads. Do you think it's possible to get in a 2hr or so ride there that's almost exclusively singletrack?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I think you could do mostly trail in a 2 hr ride there, pretty clearly.

Probably most of it single-track-ish.

We surely didn't hit *all* the trail on the map, and there's some tweaks I'd do to the ride we DID do to cut out some fire road time, but a lot of what I saw was "wide" singletrack. For example, the "wide" singletrack crossing of Naked Mountain that we did (east to west) felt like riding a bumpy version of the Snappers.

There's a ton of trail we didn't hit in the middle/western side off Naked Mountain and Nittany Mountain, along with a cluster of trail to explore off the WNW of where we parked. We returned along a bit of it, but there's much more that we waved-off on because of time and fatigue.

There's also some stuff to the WSW and S of where we were parked, but no clue on nature of it.

Now that I've a lay-of-the-land I want to go back and look at the map/routes that the W101 uses to see where they go.

mtbr member

Once again...

...you all kicked in a major couple days of riding....ride on!!!!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Great area.......haven't ridden it at all.....but the fly fishing down there is absolutely incredible.
    "There is a road--no simple highway"

Blue Pig
    Ha... did you guys throw power rocks at that DirectcrappyTV blimp? Great shots btw!
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.